PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on bike computer/garmin/gps units versus an apple watch

Dave B
03-11-2020, 09:10 AM
Ok, I have an Apple watch that I have strava on and use it solely to track rides I have done, distances, speeds, typical not important stuff. I don't train for or by numbers...in fact I just ride as I love to ride and it is a great way to get exercise.

I am curious if there is a better tool then said apple watch (I have a series 2) that stands out a a better option. I take my phone with me in case of emergency and maybe...maybe I take a picture when I get off of the bike, which I almost rarely do. Which I might need to start getting off now and a gain to stretch or whatever.

I am aware the new apple watches are better in that, well they are better and might not need a phone with you. I don't know I don't look at apple products like I have to have the latest.

So is there a bike computer that maybe you have gone to and ditched the watch? If there is, would on of these computers with multiple mounts for all of the different bikes work, or with so many different bikes, does the cost of a new watch, be it apple or something else be a better investment.

I have not used a cycling computer other than to record mileage and top speed. That doesn't mean I wouldn't broaden my usage if I new what else I would want or need to track.

just looking for advice, thoughts, or honest feedback for what is needed. I feel like I don't use much data for riding/training, but maybe there is something out there that would introduce me to more or cool data that would improve my cycling experiences.

ANY ADVICE should help...I think.

cheers

Dave

jb_11
03-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Do you want to see the data while you ride, or just record it?

If you just want to record it, you can ditch the watch now and just use a phone app (since you said you carry the phone anyway).

If you want to ditch the phone, you can get a Apple watch Series 3 or newer with cell service. You'll have to add about $10/mo to your cell plan.

If you want to see basic data visible when you ride, you can pick up something like a Garmin Edge 20 or 25 used for cheap. The 25 will sync with your phone. The 20 will need a cable. It even has some rudimentary navigation.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/garmin-edge-20-25.html

C40_guy
03-11-2020, 10:09 AM
I feel like I don't use much data for riding/training, but maybe there is something out there that would introduce me to more or cool data that would improve my cycling experiences.

I'm a data geek and I love having lots and lots of data about my ride, my run, my kayak, etc. I live in the Garmin ecosystem as I am able to put all of that data into one place.

That having been said, unless you're looking to start training or target specific improvements in fitness (resting heart rate, interval speeds, power output, etc.), more data will just get in your way.

Your watch (or phone) will map your ride for you, if you care. You can keep track of your weekly/monthly/annual mileage and pace, if you care.

If you'd like to see any of the data while you're generating it (speed, cadence, heart rate, turn by turn directions), a handlebar mounted bike computer will make monitoring in real time easier.

Beyond that, the only issue is battery life. A Garmin bike computer or watch will provide far more battery life than your watch or battery. I like to keep battery usage to a minimum on my phone, in case i need to use it as a phone. I also prefer to keep my phone in a pocket versus out on the handlebars.

Hope this helps.

benb
03-11-2020, 12:36 PM
A Garmin or Wahoo will pretty much be better in every way if you want to go there.

It won't shut the screen off, battery lasts forever compared to an iDevice, way easier to see the screen outside in the sun. Screen size optimized for riding (easier to see), UI optimized for riding and most likely works with full finger gloves as well, GPS tracking likely more accurate. Saves the battery on the phone for emergency phone use. Better data tracking. Better choice of HRM/Speed Sensor/Cadence Sensor/Power Meter connectivity. Depending on choice of model it can navigate you even if cell service is down, etc.. Open Street Maps on the device can be amazing for discovering new roads/trails, etc..

Negative = costs money, extra device to charge

Also you can use Strava on your watch but Strava is pretty bottom of the barrel if you do want to start looking at your data. Dedicated devices let you chose different places to upload your data.. more options, a lot of them are better than Strava, and you can still upload to Strava for the social part. (Strava pretty much hasn't improved anything in 4-5 years, just adding more crap that lets people upload trainer stuff as opposed to real rides.)

jimoots
03-12-2020, 05:03 AM
The answer is no.

If you are happy with what you have, then you don’t need anything more.

A Garmin can do heaps more. But it doesn’t sound like you want more.

j_b
03-12-2020, 05:10 AM
If you want to start using a Garmin, see what eBay seller “theproscloset” has on offer. I purchased a used Edge 510 from them and it was a total game changer without breaking the bank. Purchased new ANT+ cadence and speed sensors and I was all set up to record everything I need. Heart rate and power are another animal, but I’m not currently training for anything specific so I forgo those metrics. iPhone stays fully charged in back pocket just in case I need to call for aid.

joosttx
03-12-2020, 07:09 AM
For what you are describing. I think you are fine with the Apple Watch. A garment or wahoo will put the numbers in front of you but you will still need a heart monitor like your watch to measure heart rate if that is important to you.

tylercheung
03-14-2020, 03:50 PM
I like to keep track of my rides but also have a general idea of my fitness but I am definitely not someone who looks at the computer and tracks numbers when I ride, hence Apple Watch for me...

ricardinho
03-14-2020, 04:56 PM
My personal experience gamin>iPhone>Apple Watch.

I now use an Omata. Analog interface with gps.

auto_rock
03-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Dave

Agree with the above that Garmin or Wahoo will do a bunch more but also cost more. Depending on how you like to store this data for later could require more steps of downloading and syncing - big "it depends" there of course.

If you're interested in just basic health tracking, speed and distance on your ride Apple Watch might be exactly what you need. I am on a S4 now and it was a bug jump in capability from the S3, so that's something.

For basic health tracking over time the "Health" app on iOS does real well. Tracks your resting heart rate over time, even estimates your vO2 max (yes, it's obviously just an estimate...).

Apple Watches take a back seat if you're training with power, if you want more and more precise data (ant+ cadence, speed) or if you're riding long enough to hit the battery life limit, but they're still good tools.

Wakatel_Luum
03-15-2020, 03:51 PM
I just use my iPhone now days but I deleted Strava so I don’t even need that...