PDA

View Full Version : Group rides in Houston

weisan
03-10-2020, 10:14 PM
I might be in Houston TX this weekend, where can I find information on group rides taking place Saturday / Sunday?

RKW
03-11-2020, 06:29 AM
Saturday - Bike Ban Clear Lake - 65mi (I'll be on this one)
Most of the rest of the saturday group rides are dead. West Oaks, Slaughter Ride, etc. Kiet's might be happening, but it's gotten big enough that its pretty sketchy.

Sunday - Bike Barn Champions or UBG

Houston is a massive place (Bigger than the state of connecticut), so, finding a good ride may depend on where you're staying.

If you shoot me a PM with that, I can send you a decent route.

cinco
03-11-2020, 07:06 AM
I presume you mean road ride. The largest weekly ride is Northwest Cycling Club's Zube Park ride. It is actually in Hockley, NW of Houston, off Hwy 290. Speeds & distances for all abilities. Here for details:http://nwcc.bike/index.php/rides/zube-rides/saturday-morning-rides
Lots of other options.

Sundays are less organized. Urban Bike Gallery has a Sunday morning group ride. Try: https://www.urbanbicyclegallery.com/about/rides-and-event-calendar-pg182.htm

rst72
03-11-2020, 08:14 AM
Bicycle Speed Shop....awesome shop and have weekly road or gravel group rides.

Ride info usually found on their IG account.

weisan
03-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Thank you everybody!

I will be staying with a friend who live in the Forrest Lake area. I will check out some of the recommendations. I am bringing both road and gravel bikes.

cinco
03-11-2020, 12:11 PM
If gravelling, join the Houston Gravel Grinders Facebook group. They usually post a few gravel rides for Sat & Sun. Tend to bring out smaller groups 4-10 people. But are always welcoming.

Forrest Lake is off 290. If you end up soloing, you can ride Tidwell eastward to White Oak Bayou. City has paved miles of bike/hike paths along the bayou that go into downtown Allen's Landing. Some of the "prettier" places in Houston.

donevwil
03-11-2020, 12:35 PM
... City has paved miles of bike/hike paths along the bayou that go into downtown Allen's Landing. Some of the "prettier" places in Houston.

Agree with cinco if you're inclined to explore downtown and a bit beyond. Riding this trail system is a blast and one can easily get in a 40+ miler. Houston doesn't get much love nationally, but this Californian finds it an awesome city (I have family there and visit often).

m_moses
03-11-2020, 04:45 PM
I’m not seeing many rides being posted on social media today. Maybe they’ll get posted tomorrow.

Here’s a few definites for Saturday:
Society Cycle Works in Sugar Land. Roll out at 7:30 with A, B and C groups.

Tap & Pedal: 50 miles from Buffalo Bayou Brewing near downtown.
https://facebook.com/events/s/chets-dead-on-balls-accurate-5/876530399472208/?ti=icl

Cool Cat Cycles in Katy, 7:30 roll out, A, B and C groups.

So far, I don’t see Kiet’s ride posted on Facebook. I’ll update this post if he does.

Also, don’t see anything on the Houston Gravel Grinders but I believe Cool Cats Cycles has been doing weekly Sunday gravel rides from Chappell Hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPOKE
03-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Any group rides up in The Woodlands (north of the City) these days?? When I was there 93’-96’ we had a really nice group. Most were members of The Woodlands Cycling Club.

weisan
03-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Thanks again everyone