PDA

View Full Version : tubeless tire plugs

chiasticon
03-10-2020, 08:27 AM
never went down this road before. I always just carried a spare tube, but these seem like a better solution.

seems like a lot of options out there. so I'm wondering:
- which ones do people prefer and why?
- do you still carry a tube or are you confident enough in the plugs to do their job?

I wouldn't be using for road tires. this would be gravel, CX and MTB.

JAGI410
03-10-2020, 08:37 AM
That new Stan's Dart system is awesome. Pretty cheap and very portable. I like it better than the "bacon strip" style plug, but those work fine too.

MikeD
03-10-2020, 08:55 AM
I would still carry a tube. Plugs aren't for small punctures (like thorns), if your sealant doesn't work (like it's dried up). Also, unless your rims have a bead lock, the tire beads can pop into the rim well and you probably won't be able to reinflate the tire with a hand pump, hence you need a tube. I also just read that plugs don't work well if your sealant is dried up, because the sealant seals the plug.

calderb123
03-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Dynaplugs are the way to go! Ive carried them for 2 years now and have been saved by them a few times on the road. Seemingly easiest application of a lot of the plugs I've seen and have ridden a tire with plugs in it for another 500 miles no problems.

dpdan93
03-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Dynaplugs are the way to go! Ive carried them for 2 years now and have been saved by them a few times on the road. Seemingly easiest application of a lot of the plugs I've seen and have ridden a tire with plugs in it for another 500 miles no problems.

I'll second this, dynaplug rules (but also carry a spare inner)

one60
03-10-2020, 12:13 PM
for non-knobbies which version of the dynaplug is recommended? I assume its the pointy ones?

crownjewelwl
03-10-2020, 01:17 PM
assuming you mean for tubeless set up??

i use dynaplugs for my mtb...the one time i needed them the gash was too big for even multiple plugs

i use stan's darts on my road bike...prob use them on my mtb too, but mtb has orange seal...stan's is "supposed" to chemically react with darts for a better seal

joosttx
03-10-2020, 02:32 PM
for non-knobbies which version of the dynaplug is recommended? I assume its the pointy ones?

I used dynaplug for several years. The have used them on non-knobbie tires and ridden with the plugs for 100s if not 1000's of miles with no issues.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/dynaplugs-tubeless-flats-52158.html

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/tubeless-tires-you-need-dynaplug-48181.html

check these two threads out.