PDA

View Full Version : Why is it always the last place that you look?

C40_guy
03-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Gorgeous afternoon here on the Cape, so I got ready for a long trail run. All suited up, then couldn't find my whistle. (first line of defense against the local coyotes).

Spend 20 minutes looking for a whistle, finally find one.

Then I can't find my run-specific Garmin HR strap. Farck.

Tear the place apart. Spend 40 minutes looking for the thing. Can't run without it, of course, I'm a data geek.

Wife and dog look on bemusedly.

Getting late. I give up. Take off bottle belt. Take off trail shoes. Start putting things away.

Find the HR strap around my waist, where I always put it to warm up before I slip it around my chest.

D'oh.

kookmyers
03-09-2020, 03:19 PM
"Why is it always the last place that you look?"

Because you are no longer looking for it once you have found it. ;)

Funny story BTW.

Ozz
03-09-2020, 03:23 PM
cuz you really didn't want to go for a run....your subconscious was preventing you from finding it, while it invented other reasons for you not to go....

BTW - never been to the Cape....how bad are the coyotes there? We have a few in our neighborhood...was about 20 ft away from one Saturday morning while walking my dog....he could not have cared less about us.

C40_guy
03-09-2020, 03:25 PM
"Why is it always the last place that you look?"

Because you are no longer looking for it once you have found it. ;)

Funny story BTW.

Thanks!

Skiers usually break a leg on the last run of the day, too!

And if you like that one, I can tell you the score of any game before it starts! :)

C40_guy
03-09-2020, 03:31 PM
cuz you really didn't want to go for a run....your subconscious was preventing you from finding it, while it invented other reasons for you not to go....

BTW - never been to the Cape....how bad are the coyotes there? We have a few in our neighborhood...was about 20 ft away from one Saturday morning while walking my dog....he could not have cared less about us.

It's possible. You might be right. Or it might just be the ADD. :)

Coyotes on the Cape aren't bad. We just happen to live on the edge of 1100 acres of conservation land. They typically wander through our neighborhood at night...but recently I was out walking our (small) dog mid-afternoon, and a neighbor told me that a big guy had *just* crossed the street in front of her house.

We don't have much trouble with them. There are healthy turkey and rabbit populations that seem to keep them well fed. The occasional small dog or cat disappears, if left alone, but we haven't heard of coyotes attacking people.

When I run on the conservation land I wear a bear bell to make sure they hear me coming. So far, over the past four years, I've never seen a coyote while running, just two white tailed deer. (Friend of mine was stopped by a hunter during hunting season, warned that *her* white bike helmet made her look a bit too much like the back end of a white tailed deer!)

mtechnica
03-09-2020, 03:37 PM
The answer you seek always lies precisely where you are not looking.

Ozz
03-09-2020, 03:42 PM
.... (Friend of mine was stopped by a hunter during hunting season, warned that *her* white bike helmet made her look a bit too much like the back end of a white tailed deer!)

So he actually told her that she looked like a deer's ass.....wow.:eek:;)

PacNW2Ford
03-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Reminds me of the time a friend of mine suddenly starts swearing and calling himself a idiot. I'm like "What's wrong?". He says "I lost my %^$#$@! sunglasses!" I ask "The ones you're wearing?"...

C40_guy
03-10-2020, 09:07 AM
So he actually told her that she looked like a deer's ass.....wow.:eek:;)

Yes, in a caring way. :)

chiasticon
03-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Find the HR strap around my waist, where I always put it to warm up before I slip it around my chest.reminds me of some friends who set off on one of the local organized century rides. they were with a few riders from one of the local bike clubs. about 20 miles into the ride, one of them starts to get very annoyed that it's getting quite sunny out and he doesn't have his sunglasses, having forgotten them back at the car. says he's going to go back and get them, and where/when to meet back up with him (the route had points where it crossed itself). they say "OK" and off he goes. he was furious when he caught up to them later, since nobody had mentioned that his sunglasses were in fact on his helmet the entire time. :fight:

Black Dog
03-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Bell and Whistle...you are fine without both especially the bell. Coyotes do not attack humans and they will hear you coming just from your foot falls. Your voice and posture is better than any whistle. Just put your shoes on and go run. I say this as a biologist and someone who lives with coyotes all around my place. It is a rare week that I do not come across some coyotes or coy-wolves (coyote wolf hybrids). If not running is better than running without your tech, maybe time for a break to recharge the love for running? :confused:

DfCas
03-10-2020, 10:00 AM
I never find things until I stop looking.

Mike Lopez
03-10-2020, 10:36 AM

chiasticon
03-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Bell and Whistle...you are fine without both especially the bell. Coyotes do not attack humans and they will hear you coming just from your foot falls. Your voice and posture is better than any whistle. Just put your shoes on and go run. I say this as a biologist and someone who lives with coyotes all around my place. It is a rare week that I do not come across some coyotes or coy-wolves (coyote wolf hybrids). If not running is better than running without your tech, maybe time for a break to recharge the love for running? :confused:I assumed he was more concerned about the dog.

C40_guy
03-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Bell and Whistle...you are fine without both especially the bell. Coyotes do not attack humans and they will hear you coming just from your foot falls. Your voice and posture is better than any whistle. Just put your shoes on and go run. I say this as a biologist and someone who lives with coyotes all around my place. It is a rare week that I do not come across some coyotes or coy-wolves (coyote wolf hybrids). If not running is better than running without your tech, maybe time for a break to recharge the love for running? :confused:

That's good input regarding the coyotes, thanks!

I love trail running (no recharge needed!), and could have just gone for a run yesterday without the HR strap. Mostly I run by feel...i pay no attention to my Garmin while I'm out on the trails. I just like to have the data when I get home. :)

C40_guy
03-10-2020, 11:53 AM
I assumed he was more concerned about the dog.

The dog was planted on the sofa next to my wife, and intended to stay there.

He's not a runner.

He's a Bichon/King Charles mix, so genetically he was built to warm the laps of French and British royalty. And he takes his heritage seriously!

eippo1
03-11-2020, 06:26 AM
This happens to me all the time. I have to be meticulous about where I put things or else they just leave my hands without thought as I grab the next thing I need. Then it's ???? because I have no idea. That's partially due to ADD because if something grabs my attention then it's game over for whatever else is happening right now. I've actually been guilty of dropping a tool while working on the bike because I spotted something else that I thought I should work on.

Never thought of a whistle for coyotes. We live next to the Fells and so see, hear, and smell (as in my dog) them often. Luckily, my pup was a stray in VW before we got her and knows exactly what to do about them. But generally, they're just curious and like to follow her a bit when they see us.

Black Dog
03-11-2020, 07:24 AM
That's good input regarding the coyotes, thanks!

I love trail running (no recharge needed!), and could have just gone for a run yesterday without the HR strap. Mostly I run by feel...i pay no attention to my Garmin while I'm out on the trails. I just like to have the data when I get home. :)

Glad you are still happy in your running shoes. Negative encounters with wild animals are so rare that you would be better off worrying about real threats like lighting strikes and contaminated egg salad sandwiches or even worse, being crushed by a vending machine. All of which kill more people every year than wild animals. I won't even mention the scourge of falling coconuts! :eek:

:)

C40_guy
03-11-2020, 07:35 AM
Glad you are still happy in your running shoes.

So here's the thing. I've been cycling for over 40 years, and at this point, there's not much new for me on a ride. No new personal bests, no more 140 miles in a day, no more racing. And increasing fear of distracted drivers...

On the other hand, as a relatively new runner, there's something new on almost every run. PRs to break in the half marathon and 10K. Maybe a marathon in the future.

It's simple...just put on some shoes and head out the door (assuming I can find my whistle and HR strap...)

BdaGhisallo
03-11-2020, 08:56 AM
Why is it always the last place that you look?

Of course it is - why would you keep looking once you'd found it?