PDA

View Full Version : Did Paypal rejig it's "Goods and Services" option and make it more expensive?

echappist
03-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Traditionally, the option for either G&S or F&F comes up pretty immediately. The last time I tried to pay (as in, ten minutes ago), it was different. It asked if I want buyer's protection, and if I selected no (b/c I thought there would be an option for G&S), I was then directed to pay additional fees for using a credit card.

This all seemed a bit weird, so I went back and selected option for buyer's protection. It happens that the associated fee is now 3.5% (compare to the old 3% charged). When did this get implemented? And I presume that this "buyer's protection" is indeed the old G&S, or am I missing something?

ETA: I should have included in the original post that when I opted for "buyer's protection", there's no additional fee assessed for using credit card.

madsciencenow
03-09-2020, 11:12 AM
I have no new info to add but this does sound new and I’m interested in what others know about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kohagen
03-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Buyers protection is the goods and services option. The fee had been about 3%, it may have been raised recently. I haven't been using it, since I've been paying people I trust.

I've seen a fee for credit cards for quite a while. The funding options I see are no fee for the bank accounts I have listed, and a charge for a credit card, to recoup the fee they have to pay.

Bentley
03-09-2020, 11:30 AM
I might be wrong, but I think its been around 3.5% for a while. That said I have come accross the "purchase buyers protection" which makes no sense for F&F since its not a sales transaction

Ray

echappist
03-09-2020, 11:46 AM
I might be wrong, but I think its been around 3.5% for a while. That said I have come accross the "purchase buyers protection" which makes no sense for F&F since its not a sales transaction

Ray

that's probably the intent then; to obfuscate so that there's no clear distinction, such that some who intend to pay for F&F ends up selecting the buyer's protection.

Clean39T
03-09-2020, 11:47 AM
They changed the nomenclature to "trusted" instead of "friends and family" a while ago.....

pdmtong
03-09-2020, 12:13 PM
I must have a basic account

I have two options
1) Sending to a friend
2) Paying for an item or service (Eligible purchases are covered by PayPal Purchase Protection. View PayPal policies and your payment method rights.)

I dont see any change from the 2.9% + $0.30 seller fee structure that has been in place for awhile

echappist
03-09-2020, 01:14 PM
I must have a basic account

I have two options
1) Sending to a friend
2) Paying for an item or service (Eligible purchases are covered by PayPal Purchase Protection. View PayPal policies and your payment method rights.)

I dont see any change from the 2.9% + $0.30 seller fee structure that has been in place for awhile

Come to think of it, 3.5% of this particular transaction is 2.9% + $0.30, so good to know that the fee structure hasn't changed.

Just a bit weird that the phrasing did change for some.

pdmtong
03-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Come to think of it, 3.5% of this particular transaction is 2.9% + $0.30, so good to know that the fee structure hasn't changed. Just a bit weird that the phrasing did change for some.

$50 purchase?
here is the fee chart I see
https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Different question - some time ago I read advice to not accept a PayPal transfer from a stranger during a face-face CraigsList transaction. The rationale was that the buyer may be funding the transaction with a stolen credit card. Buyer transfers funds, I see it in my PP account (however, funds are really not there yet until the banks shake hands and money actually moves). Once I see the transfer I hand over my bike. A few days later after buyer is long gone with my bike I find poof, the funds were never really in my account. So, that is the scam as I understand it.

How is that any different than if the transaction happened here? Typically when I get "you have money" I send the item. Presumably seller can validate some trustworthiness of buyer.

In either case, is there seller protection from a fraudulent transfer?

A guy I sold my wheels to on CL said he once paid an extra 1% to buyer to cover that uncertainty in lieu of paying cash. As I read it, the 1% allows instant transfer out of PP to you bank account. would that protect seller from fraudulent transfer?

Clean39T
03-09-2020, 02:34 PM
$50 purchase?
here is the fee chart I see
https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Different question - some time ago I read advice to not accept a PayPal transfer from a stranger during a face-face CraigsList transaction. The rationale was that the buyer may be funding the transaction with a stolen credit card. Buyer transfers funds, I see it in my PP account (however, funds are really not there yet until the banks shake hands and money actually moves). Once I see the transfer I hand over my bike. A few days later after buyer is long gone with my bike I find poof, the funds were never really in my account. So, that is the scam as I understand it.

How is that any different than if the transaction happened here? Typically when I get "you have money" I send the item. Presumably seller can validate some trustworthiness of buyer.

In either case, is there seller protection from a fraudulent transfer?

A guy I sold my wheels to on CL said he once paid an extra 1% to buyer to cover that uncertainty in lieu of paying cash. As I read it, the 1% allows instant transfer out of PP to you bank account. would that protect seller from fraudulent transfer?

If you don't know the person well enough to trust them at least to the extent that you aren't concerned they might be using stolen credit cards, don't do a deal with them. I don't respond to craigslist ads as a buyer or seller if the person can't speak in complete sentences or acts rude/flippant. I've found it incredibly easy to separate the wheat from the chaff there. Selling here, just be enough of the family to recognize the names, or do a quick search, and if you have doubts, use protection or follow-up with more dialogue before sending funds. With hundreds of transactions here, I've had maybe 1% that had an issue (usually condition related and a result of being in a hurry and not clarifying expectations) and 0% that have had any fraud/non-delivery issues. The vast majority of people are honest, hard-working types. And the vast majority of those who aren't are pretty obvious to spot.

pdmtong
03-09-2020, 02:55 PM
If you don't know the person well enough to trust them at least to the extent that you aren't concerned they might be using stolen credit cards, don't do a deal with them. I don't respond to craigslist ads as a buyer or seller if the person can't speak in complete sentences or acts rude/flippant. I've found it incredibly easy to separate the wheat from the chaff there.

Selling here, just be enough of the family to recognize the names, or do a quick search, and if you have doubts, use protection or follow-up with more dialogue before sending funds. With hundreds of transactions here, I've had maybe 1% that had an issue (usually condition related and a result of being in a hurry and not clarifying expectations) and 0% that have had any fraud/non-delivery issues. The vast majority of people are honest, hard-working types. And the vast majority of those who aren't are pretty obvious to spot.

For local CL, I generally speak to the person on the phone before meeting and it is a cash only deal. You can quickly figure out who is legit and who is not. If both are taking time to meet, presumably both want the transaction to happen. So I make it a point to ensure buyer knows what they are buying more as a protection for me possibly wasting my time.

For PL transactions, I have only had one purchase problem where the item was not quite as described and one selling problem when USPS put the package in a bush and not the mailbox. The former wasn't a big enough deal to go to the mat on and the latter can happen.

I still do not have a clear picture on seller protection involving a stolen credit card / PayPal scam

Clean39T
03-09-2020, 03:29 PM
For local CL, I generally speak to the person on the phone before meeting and it is a cash only deal. You can quickly figure out who is legit and who is not. If both are taking time to meet, presumably both want the transaction to happen. So I make it a point to ensure buyer knows what they are buying more as a protection for me possibly wasting my time.

For PL transactions, I have only had one purchase problem where the item was not quite as described and one selling problem when USPS put the package in a bush and not the mailbox. The former wasn't a big enough deal to go to the mat on and the latter can happen.

I still do not have a clear picture on seller protection involving a stolen credit card / PayPal scam

I was just riffing, hope it didn't come off as impugning... Sounds like we've had pretty similar experiences and approaches over time ...... :beer:

I haven't a clue about the stolen card situation either.