PDA

View Full Version : Looking to hire a FT frameset painter - any help appreciated

Brendan Quirk
03-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Hey gang, I'm currently involved with Allied Cycle Works and have enjoyed the heck out of getting deep into manufacturing. It's a different world, and it's been a humbling switch from the standard sort of e-Commerce work I've done my whole life. Actually making stuff is hard!

We've almost completed our factory relocation from Little Rock to Bentonville, and we're having good luck recruiting and training a top-notch team for most of our functions.

Interestingly, paint is proving to be the most challenging position to hire for. It's been really tough to find experienced, super-detail oriented painters. More than ever before I appreciate how rare and valuable the very best painters out there are (thinking Joe Bell, Lucas Strain and a couple of others.)

So....a question: Any advice on how to find a frame painter interested in a good-paying, stable, full-time role? I've exhausted all of the obvious solutions, so now I'm turning to this community for advice...

Thanks a ton for any brainstorms...Brendan

AngryScientist
03-09-2020, 11:33 AM
have you tried recruiting at a local tech school for young people who show some promising talent?

Heisenberg
03-09-2020, 12:07 PM
emailed you.

mtechnica
03-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Might be worth hiring a younger person with aptitude and give them an opportunity to build their skills. If you have the equipment and proper facility I think it's not out of the question for the right person to get pretty good at painting frames within a few weeks. I mean, I think I could do it anyway.

Waldo62
03-09-2020, 04:00 PM
I thought CyclArt moved to Arkansas........

Velocipede
03-09-2020, 04:05 PM
I thought CyclArt moved to Arkansas........

They did but I believe the original owners retired. Not sure how many employees did the move.

Blue Jays
03-09-2020, 04:05 PM
Perhaps visit motorcycle and hot rods shows to possibly meet someone interested in a new gig?

prototoast
03-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Pay more than the local auto painter?

Hawker
03-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Perhaps visit motorcycle and hot rods shows to possibly meet someone interested in a new gig?

Great idea!

pbarry
03-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Graffiti artists.. :)

mistermo
03-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Go to your local jobber (paint supplier) and ask them who they know. They have an interest in placing painters loyal to their respective paint lines into body shops and may be able to find someone who they can place at Allied. Also, as mentioned above, DuPont, PPG and the other paint lines often sponsor the local trade schools and could set you up with a recent graduate.

I just got an Alfa AR that I'm getting painted. Hopefully something in plaid, but it's proving harder to find a painter for that than anticipated. Tell Will hello from Indianapolis.

Mikej
03-09-2020, 07:24 PM
Hmm, sounds like a plug to me. But, best of it to you and Allied, I appreciate the made in USA work you guys are doing!

Edit- try an Art school- my buddy Jerome did everything from WWII bomber jacket restoration to designing Ford Mustang emblems. Went to MIAD in Milwaukee WI

Black Dog
03-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Ask around at local body shops if they know of any painters looking for work. Might give you some leads.

stackie
03-10-2020, 12:37 AM
That’s a tough spot. Great idea to look at trade/art schools etc.

But, do you really want to take the chance on having a huge customer base unsatisfied and get a reputation for poor quality paint while the fng gets the hang of things and learns to put down paint that sticks to the frame and doesn’t chip easily? I don’t think that’s as easy as some people are making it sound.

I’d say pay great money and lure someone with a history to join up. Maybe they can train a newbie as well.

I’m not a business person, but I’ve been on the customer side of problematic paint.

Jon

Hilltopperny
03-10-2020, 03:55 AM
I would also check out any auto body vocational schools nearby. The best painter I know came out of the local VoTech and runs a successful body shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan Quirk
03-10-2020, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the input (and to the folks who've sent PMs.) The good news is that we have talented painters and a great paint booth down in Little Rock. But our new facility (which will have an all-new paint booth! :banana:) is 200 miles away. Our LR painters won't relocate - but we have top-notch painting capacity down there until we can staff the roles in NW Arkansas.

Much appreciated...Brendan