PDA

View Full Version : anyone running bebop pedals with sidi MTB shoes?

wallymann
03-09-2020, 08:05 AM
i'm just getting this setup on my gravel bike, in preparation for increases in off-piste excursions and bikepacking. here are some observations i've made trying ot get the bebop + sidi MTB going. if anyone else has had any success or made some discoveries, i'd appreciate learning something from you!

the curvature of the sidi MTB soles is the same as the road stuff. bebop cleats need a flat surface, so that means i need to use the road sole adapter plate. the OEM countersunk cleat bolts are too short, so i'm using some longer non-countersunk bolts just to test fit and have ordered proper ones for installation.

the bebop adapter plate uses a 3-bolt patter and is too wide to nestle into the channel between the forefoot MTB treads...so i had to grind them narrower. since sidi MTB shoes are 2-bolt only, so in this application the adapter plate is really just a filler plate necessitating the aforementioned longer countersunk bolts to mount the cleats.

there seems to be a fair bit of "placement slop" with the combined cleat + adapter + moveable nut-plate (inside the shoe). when the longer countersunk bolts arrive, i'm curious how well these cleats will stay where i want them.

bebop claims a low stack, but the cleat + adapter plate ends up just as tall as any other setup i've used (i'm a speedplay guy). with this stack, the cleat ends up very exposed and protruding well above the lugs on the MTB sole. so sidi MTB shoes really arent buying me anything since i have to use the adapter plate. :-/

anyway, that's all i have until the longer bolts arrive.

mhespenheide
03-09-2020, 08:50 AM
First, I'm astounded that you're asking about bebop pedals and cleats since they've been discontinued for years. (If you have a source for them, I'd love to know about it...)

Second -- yeah. I love the pedals, but they're finicky to get mounted on to an actual shoe. I ended up not using the adapter plate but rather building up some janky shims at the front and back of the cleats so that the ends are at least a little supported. On the other hand, that meant that the stack was low enough that I had to carve away some of the shoe lugs so that they didn't interfere with the pedal spindle.

I'll try to attach a photo tonight.

EricChanning
03-09-2020, 10:18 AM
I used Bebop pedals all throughout the 90s to mid 2000s. I was lucky enough to find multiple pairs on clearance at a brick and mortar Nashbar store. I used them for road racing, mountain biking and commuting. I paired them with sidi shoes. They were my go to pedal system until I wore out all the cleats.

I didn't use an adapter plate. The space between the cleat plate and the shoe never seemed to be a problem. the cleats were secure and I never noticed any movement. The edges of the plate came in regular contact with the ground surface and the metal would would wear down around the edges.

The metal retention clip within the cleat would wear down from use before the cleat developed any issues from road contact. Bebop cleats have an expiration date after about 3 to 5 years of heavy use. At a certain point, they no longer engage effectively with the pedal.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I trimmed the lugs of my mtb shoes to fit the cleat plate. As a result, much more of the cleat was protected by the lugs of the shoe. My advice is to trim the lugs if necessary and ditch the adapter plate.

I'm surprised to see anyone still asking about set up of these pedals.

wallymann
03-09-2020, 01:39 PM
i bought these in 2016...as i recall bebops came back on the market a few years before that when the speedplay patent period ended. made by VPone.

apparently they're out of production again?! rebuild kits and cleats are still available, but a quick google search didnt reveal any pedals being offered anywhere.

weird.

First, I'm astounded that you're asking about bebop pedals and cleats since they've been discontinued for years. (If you have a source for them, I'd love to know about it...)

mhespenheide
03-09-2020, 03:38 PM
irebuild kits and cleats are still available

If you can point me towards a source for cleats, I'd be indebted. I've got a bunch of pedals that I'd love to bring back into service.

wallymann
03-09-2020, 06:25 PM
my bad...its for adapter plates.

If you can point me towards a source for cleats, I'd be indebted. I've got a bunch of pedals that I'd love to bring back into service.