PDA

View Full Version : Age is irrelevant: some observations from a recent group ride

pdmtong
03-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Last week met up with some folks I ride with occasionally. Short little 28/2,000 effort.

Ten riders.
one Cervelo RCA di2
one specialized mclaren roubaix di2 disc future shock
one specialized s-works roubaix di2 disc future shock
one e-bike
one giant tcr
one specialized roubaix with flat bar conversion
one pegoretti responsorium
one specialized roubaix SL2 saxo bank home drilled for ultegra di2
one ridley with ultegra di2
one trek madone

Age range 45-75.

The guy on the e-bike has a medical issue and the electrons let him continue riding with his friends.

That future shock thing lets the bars move up and down when climbing. Don't think I would like it.

When the RCA first showed up no one had any idea what it was but me. To these guys it's just another bike.

Everyone is out riding and enjoying life. the guy with the mclaren next to the guy with the flat bar conversion. friends riding with friends.

I am faster up 20% than the 75 yo...but it's not like I'm at the top waiting for minutes.

I'd be pretty happy to hang on a ride like that when I am 75.

fa63
03-08-2020, 06:56 PM
That sums up one of the group rides I attend from time to time. Similar age range (At 35, I am often the youngest one there) and bicycles (mostly nice ones), all having a good time. The pace is usually not bad either; we will do 50 miles / 2500 ft at around 18 mph. A few of them are 75+ years old; they are my role models.

XXtwindad
03-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Kind of the essence of cycling, right?

AngryScientist
03-08-2020, 07:04 PM
All ridden "in service of the ride" as our old friend would say.

:hello:

it's all good. when you get right down to it most bikes are more similar than different. as long as the rider is not a dick, i'll enjoy riding with anyone, on any bike.

Hows the weather out there this week Paul? i should have been out next week myself, but my company cancelled all business air travel! blast!

rnhood
03-08-2020, 07:16 PM
There is nothing better than a group ride. Yes, it's the essence of cycling and everyone benefits, not to mention the camaraderie and friendships. If I had to ride alone, I'd pick another sport to pursue.

Hindmost
03-08-2020, 07:20 PM
I am impressed that you could list out the ten bikes. Heck, I have trouble remembering names.

Black Dog
03-08-2020, 07:24 PM
I am impressed that you could list out the ten bikes. Heck, I have trouble remembering names.

I can remember bikes much easier than names. :)

tbike4
03-08-2020, 07:34 PM
One of the guys in our Sunday group will plan a birthday ride each year. Today was 73 miles for his age. I am traveling so did not get to go. He has a Cipollini with 12 speed Super Record electronic and Ultra Bora 35's. He gets faster every year I think and good for him to have the $$ to ride what makes him happy. I will follow his recipe for retirement. ;)

Matthew
03-08-2020, 07:46 PM
Pretty similar to many of my group rides. Couple of my best buds are 70ish. One male, one female. The lady rides a Colnago C59 with Campy Super Record electronic. Incredible bike and she can hang with most groups. Very impressive. My other buddy will be 72 this year I think. Rides a nice Emonda and can keep pace with many half his age. I'm 52 and hope I can be that fast relatively speaking when I am that age.

robt57
03-08-2020, 07:53 PM
Kind of the essence of cycling, right?

Amen

smead
03-08-2020, 08:10 PM
This spring I am helping a friend who is 70 train for the Terrible Two (200 miles, 18K' of steep climbs, can be very hot!). This is the 45th anniversary and there have been only 3 finishers in their 70s to ever do it under the time cutoff. We're ramping up with weekly rides of about 80 miles with 8K' of climbing and so far he's doing pretty well. I doubt when I'm his age I'll be attempting this. Will be really fun to see him accomplish this - fingers crossed! :banana:

colker
03-08-2020, 08:42 PM

I am surprised at seeing my name as the last poster on a thread since i have no idea what i just wrote.:help:

Kirk007
03-08-2020, 10:58 PM
There is nothing better than a group ride. Yes, it's the essence of cycling and everyone benefits, not to mention the camaraderie and friendships. If I had to ride alone, I'd pick another sport to pursue.Funny I am mostly the opposite. I should try group rides more I suppose. Maybe when I retire and don't spend most of my days already talking to groups of people. And I hope I can keep up when I'm 70!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

pdmtong
03-09-2020, 10:36 AM
All ridden "in service of the ride" as our old friend would say.
:hello:
it's all good. when you get right down to it most bikes are more similar than different. as long as the rider is not a dick, i'll enjoy riding with anyone, on any bike.

Hows the weather out there this week Paul? i should have been out next week myself, but my company cancelled all business air travel! blast!
I had dinner with the Fuzz last year and really enjoyed finally meeting in person. The day of the group ride it was mid-70s. this past weekend it rained for the first time in over a month and was a cloudy "chilly" 60. this week should get into low 70s. it's another drought year. the weather is whacked.
I try to use the bikes to remember the people. Remembering a name for me is a learned skill that doesn't come naturally, But someone once told me nothing gets a person's attention like using their name. I think it is true.
One of the guys in our Sunday group will plan a birthday ride each year. Today was 73 miles for his age. I am traveling so did not get to go. He has a Cipollini with 12 speed Super Record electronic and Ultra Bora 35's. He gets faster every year I think and good for him to have the $$ to ride what makes him happy. I will follow his recipe for retirement. ;)
Last years birthday ride was 74 miles and 7,400' - it's always the age in distance and elevation of the celebrant
Funny I am mostly the opposite. I should try group rides more I suppose. Maybe when I retire and don't spend most of my days already talking to groups of people. And I hope I can keep up when I'm 70!
Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I usually ride alone or with 1-2 others. Being in a group of folks, especially with age requires a different level of attentiveness. They can all ride properly, but I still allow space side-side and front-back

The other insight riding with these gents is they are still going despite cardiacs, strokes and hip replacements. it's en enjoyable ride. sometimes the breaks are a bit too often, or the pace too slow, but if those things are a bother, then that's not a ride to be on.

so yes, All ridden "in service of the ride".

thunderworks
03-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I'll be 70 this summer. My regular riding buddies are 71 and 73 . . . we're not fast, but we're still riding.

More to the point however, we have a friend who still rides who turned 90 last summer and rides the MS150. We don't ride with him often, but when we do, we're reminded about what a gift it is to still be experiencing life. He's our role model . . . if I can still ride at 90 . . . very cool.