PDA

View Full Version : Replacement DT350 road freehub body? (Not Al)

Veloo
03-08-2020, 03:15 PM
This freehub was dug in enough that I had to knock the cassette out.
The 10 speed spacer couldn't come off and the new cassette wouldn't go on until I filed it down a bit.

Does anyone know if DT offers steel replacement options?

The wheels are not that old so surprised that my friend was able to do this so soon.

dustyrider
03-08-2020, 03:53 PM
I don’t find this to be a big deal. A small fine file, I think triangular works best, makes ‘em like brand new again. And to your question: I don’t know.

macaroon
03-08-2020, 03:59 PM
Was the cassette lockring torqued to spec?

hollowgram5
03-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Dt sells a Steel 11s fhb. Lbs or ebay should be a great source. I have one, and love it. Much preferred over the aluminum ones.

FlashUNC
03-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Torque stuff to spec.

dddd
03-08-2020, 07:21 PM
I like that both steel and alloy bodies are available, for different riders who weigh more/less, and who do/don't tend to ride up steep hills in the small/smaller gearing combo's that maximize chain tension and torque on the affected cogs.

A SRAM Power-Dome cassette won't cause this problem, and bite-guard freehub bodies combine lightness with bite-resistance.

Actually I find it hard to imagine this being a common problem with cassettes having their biggest five cogs on a carrier.
Is this perhaps a gravel bike with a yuuge cassette and/or sub-compact rings?
Is the rider particularly big?

Veloo
03-09-2020, 09:17 AM
It's a cross bike with 48-34 on the front.
Old cassette was 11-28.

He's a tall rider but not heavy set.

I like that both steel and alloy bodies are available, for different riders who weigh more/less, and who do/don't tend to ride up steep hills in the small/smaller gearing combo's that maximize chain tension and torque on the affected cogs.

A SRAM Power-Dome cassette won't cause this problem, and bite-guard freehub bodies combine lightness with bite-resistance.

Actually I find it hard to imagine this being a common problem with cassettes having their biggest five cogs on a carrier.
Is this perhaps a gravel bike with a yuuge cassette and/or sub-compact rings?
Is the rider particularly big?

prototoast
03-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Yes, they make a steel freehub body. Yes, they're great. Get one.

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-11-SPEED-Road-Freehub-Body-Steel-Fit-Current-180-240-350-Hubs

72gmc
03-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Same issue here. I'm picking up a steel freehub body--as much as I like these hubs, this is a flaw that I've not encountered with other hubs.