PDA

View Full Version : Annapolis accident

JLQ
03-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Drove past the aftermath of this on Rt. 50 earlier today. I was driving but my wife speculated that it was a group of riders struck. One report I raid said it was a group out of Baltimore. Just terrible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/one-dead-two-injured-when-vehicle-hits-group-of-bicyclists/2020/03/08/d1867e18-6178-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

e-RICHIE
03-08-2020, 02:37 PM
You need a login to see the article (I think).

Peter P.
03-08-2020, 02:45 PM
You need a login to see the article (I think).

I usually do, but for some reason I was able to access the article via the link.

Briefly; 7 cyclists were riding together. Driver remained at the scene. It's not stated how many of the 7 cyclists were struck.

Malinois
03-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Here’s the reporting so far from the Baltimore Sun:

A cyclist has died and two others were injured after a sport utility vehicle crashed into seven cyclists Sunday in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County police said.

At about 1:55 p.m. the police said on social media the crash occurred at East College Parkway and Bay Head Rd. in Annapolis. The name of the deceased has not yet been released at this time. Two other cyclists were injured, though police didn’t give more specific details than that.

Police said the scene is still active and an investigation is ongoing. The driver remained to the scene.

Police are asking drivers to use Route 50 or an alternative route.

This story will be updated.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/ac-cn-cyclist-crash-20200308-635fvlnvivbnjfifn6r4ulxl2a-story.html

dddd
03-08-2020, 03:13 PM
It's a "T" intersection with a stop sign for the side road. Side road sign says "service road, traffic does not stop".

Wondering what circumstances led to this, whether the vehicle was overtaking, possibly with another oncoming vehicle, or whether the car or bikes came off of the side road(?)

Sad situation for sure.

mcteague
03-08-2020, 03:37 PM
How can you NOT see a group of 7 cyclists??? I’m thinking phone use. :mad:

Tim

OtayBW
03-08-2020, 04:36 PM
1 dead, 2 injured. Apparently head-on collision and several riders had cameras recording the event.....small concilation....

dddd
03-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Looking at the map and knowing the rider's return trip trajectory, seems likely that the SUV's driver may have turned left into the rider's lane, causing a head-on.
At 1pM after the time change the Sun still would have been fairly low in the sky as the driver headed roughly south-east.
I often encounter drivers who seem to severely mis-judge my riding speed as they turn in front of me, so any glare would have made this only more likely in this case.
Distractions or driving a car with a dirty windshield are things that can further affect visual performance in otherwise clear and well-lit conditions, and are reasons why I prefer bright clothing.

Black Dog
03-08-2020, 09:09 PM
There are rarely accidents as they are unaviodable. This was a collision. A fatal one sadly.

avalonracing
03-09-2020, 11:18 AM
I know some of the cyclists involved in this incident. One had recently gotten back to road cycling after being severely injured after being hit by a car while riding two years ago. Yesterday he lost his friend. This just terrible on so many levels.

vqdriver
03-09-2020, 11:22 AM
The driver of the vehicle remained at the scene.

that fact that this statement is a relief is very sad.

Malinois
03-09-2020, 01:04 PM
More details have been reported:

Anne Arundel County police released the identity of a Hanover man who died Sunday and the name of a Chestnut Hill Cove resident who is in critical condition following a crash between an SUV and seven cyclists.

Arthur Herbert Carter Jr., 59, of Hanover was pronounced dead on the scene Sunday after police responded to East College Parkway near Bay Head Road in Annapolis for the crash between cyclists and the SUV. Another cyclist, Jeffrey Michael Adler, 58, of Chestnut Hill Cove, suffered life-threatening injuries and is in critical condition.

A third cyclist in the group, 21-year-old Kathleen Anne Haye of Columbia, suffered minor injuries.

The cyclists were struck by a GMC Yukon driven by Carl Leslie Behler, 67, of Annapolis, police said. He was heading eastbound on East College Parkway in the area of Bay Head Road, police said. A group of seven bicyclists were riding westbound on East College Parkway. The cyclists were riding on the ridge edge of the roadway since there was no shoulder, police said.

For an unknown reason, the Behler crossed the center of the roadway and struck the group of westbound bicycles, police said. Police don’t believe speed or alcohol were factors in the crash.

The primary cause of the crash appears to be Behler failing to remain in a single lane, police said.

No charges have been filed against Behler and an investigation into the crash continues.

Jon Korin, president of Bicycle Advocates For Annapolis And Anne Arundel County, was cycling with the group when the car struck them, he said. Korin said he was seventh in line and OK but shaken up.

The group was riding from the Baltimore & Annapolis Trail to Sandy Point State Park. They were on the return trip, Korin said.

Everyone was doing what they loved, he said.

“This was seven experienced riders, doing what we were supposed to be doing,” Korin said. “Hugging the right side of the road and with our reflector lights on."

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-seven-cyclist-crash-in-annapolis-20200309-3lgom5on3rgbrlus72z7s25u2y-story.html

That’s twice in one week someone has been killed by people being careless/reckless and randomly crossing the center. First Durango, now this.

Black Dog
03-09-2020, 01:30 PM
It’s going to take a lot of very high profile deaths before anyone starts to take distracted driving seriously. :mad:

ftf
03-09-2020, 01:36 PM
It’s going to take a lot of very high profile deaths before anyone starts to take distracted driving seriously. :mad:

Yeah it took a long time to take drinking and driving seriously, unfortunately.

BobO
03-09-2020, 01:51 PM
I know some of the cyclists involved in this incident. One had recently gotten back to road cycling after being severely injured after being hit by a car while riding two years ago. Yesterday he lost his friend. This just terrible on so many levels.

That's terrible, I'm very sorry to hear this. There aren't any words.

More details have been reported:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-seven-cyclist-crash-in-annapolis-20200309-3lgom5on3rgbrlus72z7s25u2y-story.html

That’s twice in one week someone has been killed by people being careless/reckless and randomly crossing the center. First Durango, now this.

Unless there are some extenuating circumstances that we're not aware of, like a medical emergency, this driver needs to spend some time in prison. Crossing the centerline enough to hit someone close to the opposite shoulder takes a lot more than a momentary lapse.

bigbill
03-09-2020, 01:57 PM
My son attends USNA and they ride on that route frequently. They're on spring break this week. If he wasn't currently in a cast, I would have panicked. It's just an awful event.

redir
03-09-2020, 01:58 PM
How can you NOT see a group of 7 cyclists??? I’m thinking phone use. :mad:

Tim

It's truly epidemic at this point.

Black Dog
03-09-2020, 05:24 PM
It's truly epidemic at this point.

So true. Unfortunately almost everyone is addicted. Hard to make any changes under these circumstances.

unterhausen
03-09-2020, 08:58 PM
what I saw it was a careless left turn, not a distracted driver

merckxman
03-10-2020, 05:16 AM
Another cross the centerline crash, both the cyclist and driver killed : https://www.nj.com/ocean/2020/03/driver-bicyclist-killed-in-ocean-county-crash.html

fiamme red
12-24-2020, 05:26 PM
Driver indicted on seven charges: https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/crime/ac-cn-driver-indicted-killing-cyclist-severn-20201223-obqpemrqb5bo3iyc7c3ns2zulm-story.html.

"Annapolis resident Carl Behler, 68, was charged with negligent manslaughter, two counts of homicide with a motor vehicle, two counts of driving while impaired by controlled dangerous substance, as well as two misdemeanors related to causing life-threatening injuries..."

reuben
12-24-2020, 06:14 PM
Driver indicted on seven charges: https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/crime/ac-cn-driver-indicted-killing-cyclist-severn-20201223-obqpemrqb5bo3iyc7c3ns2zulm-story.html.

"Annapolis resident Carl Behler, 68, was charged with negligent manslaughter, two counts of homicide with a motor vehicle, two counts of driving while impaired by controlled dangerous substance, as well as two misdemeanors related to causing life-threatening injuries..."

Damn. I've rarely ridden there over the decades, but know exactly where that is. It's basically a pair of service roads parallel to Route 50, near the western side of the Bay Bridge, one in each direction. There's no shoulder in either direction, but both the traffic and speed are less, at least in theory. However, distractions, inattention, etc., can happen anywhere. There are stop signs in some places, more on the east bound side.

Basically, you ride out to very near the bridge/park, then turn around and come back on the opposite side.

I often go hiking on the XC trails behind Annapolis High School and the adjoining park. A teacher and avid cyclist from that school was killed a few years ago while riding. There's a shed near the football field painted for "Coach Trish".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/death-of-cyclist-trish-cunningham-highlights-call-to-enforce-mds-3-foot-law-for-vehicles/2013/09/28/83068ea4-270a-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_story.html

retropean
12-24-2020, 10:47 PM
Sad. I ride this, except I’m always solo. I often wonder if I got hit, would anyone even be around to notice?

Louis
12-24-2020, 11:07 PM

The chances of this are IMO practically nil.

We're more likely to get safer self-driving cars than we are to get any serious and widespread measures to control distracted driving (via either draconian enforcement, or technology that disables the device). And I'm not holding my breath on those high-tech cars either - they're probably at least 10 years away, if ever.

muz
12-24-2020, 11:22 PM
Actually, we have the technology, just not the willpower. Insurance companies could require driver monitoring systems and video recorders, or huge premiums. Drive without insurance, you lose your car and go to jail. It's just that everybody believes driving is a right, and juries will not convict or award large damages.

Louis
12-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Actually, we have the technology, just not the willpower.

Agreed, technology to disable the devices while in the car exists, but not the willpower to use it (or enforce existing distracted driving laws). But obviously the technology for the self-driving cars isn't here yet.

Regarding enforcement - we did it for seat belts through a combination of enforcement and driver education. However, the convenience of talking / texting while driving is enough to cause us to be willing to sacrifice xxx lives per years in exchange for it.

duff_duffy
12-25-2020, 12:04 AM
You said the key word, addicted. For many, willpower will not overcome the billions spent on R&D designed to make phones and apps/notifications addicting. You will be distracted if the phone is on. Turn it off while in car! If you can't, are you addicted?

So true. Unfortunately almost everyone is addicted. Hard to make any changes under these circumstances.

Louis
12-25-2020, 02:13 AM
"Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55438969

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/86C8/production/_116240543_whatsubject.jpg

oldpotatoe
12-25-2020, 06:01 AM
Drove past the aftermath of this on Rt. 50 earlier today. I was driving but my wife speculated that it was a group of riders struck. One report I raid said it was a group out of Baltimore. Just terrible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/one-dead-two-injured-when-vehicle-hits-group-of-bicyclists/2020/03/08/d1867e18-6178-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

That link goes to today's Washington Post..Great headlines...:eek:

oldpotatoe
12-25-2020, 06:03 AM
Actually, we have the technology, just not the willpower. Insurance companies could require driver monitoring systems and video recorders, or huge premiums. Drive without insurance, you lose your car and go to jail. It's just that everybody believes driving is a right, and juries will not convict or award large damages.
You said the key word, addicted. For many, willpower will not overcome the billions spent on R&D designed to make phones and apps/notifications addicting. You will be distracted if the phone is on. Turn it off while in car! If you can't, are you addicted?

Need a like button

JLQ
12-25-2020, 06:31 AM
Just read a follow up piece from WJZ to find out more about the controlled substance. Originally they suspected he was drowsy from Tylenol PM but:

a blood toxicology report later showed Behler had cocaine, Alprazolam and metabolites for cocaine in his blood system.

So in this case, phone doesn't appear to have played a role.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/12/23/carl-behler-charged-in-fatal-crash-that-killed-cyclist-arthur-carter-injured-2-others-in-march/

redir
12-25-2020, 08:34 AM
68 years old and doing Cocaine? Geesh! Still livin' his disco days I guess. What looser. Lock him up.

Whit51
12-25-2020, 12:15 PM
There are rarely accidents as they are unaviodable. This was a collision. A fatal one sadly.

Correct. I’m a transportation planner, and the official term is “crash”, since “accident” implies it was unavoidable.

Louis
12-26-2020, 06:01 AM
Correct. I’m a transportation planner, and the official term is “crash”, since “accident” implies it was unavoidable.

I've always wondered a bit about this distinction, because if you want to go back far enough, just about everything is to some extent avoidable.

Short of the earth opening up without warning in front of your bike and swallowing you, or being bonked on the helmet by a meteorite (all "acts of nature" in which the recipient of the action is generally blameless) most "negative events" can be avoided if you're sufficiently paranoid and others are sufficiently careful. Of course that would make life a real pita, so it isn't going to happen any time, but it could be done.

Black Dog
12-26-2020, 08:18 AM
I've always wondered a bit about this distinction, because if you want to go back far enough, just about everything is to some extent avoidable.

Short of the earth opening up without warning in front of your bike and swallowing you, or being bonked on the helmet by a meteorite (all "acts of nature" in which the recipient of the action is generally blameless) most "negative events" can be avoided if you're sufficiently paranoid and others are sufficiently careful. Of course that would make life a real pita, so it isn't going to happen any time, but it could be done.

The distinction is not as extreme as that. It is about taking reasonable actions, not extreme actions to avoid crashes. We are not talking about checking the lug nuts on your wheels every time you get in your car and driving at 5km/h. It is about driving at speeds that are reasonable for the conditions while paying attention, following the rules of the road, and practicing good driving habits. None of this is difficult. It would probably prevent the vast mojority of crashes. However, we are far away from this.

Louis
12-26-2020, 11:24 AM
It is about driving at speeds that are reasonable for the conditions while paying attention, following the rules of the road, and practicing good driving habits. None of this is difficult. It would probably prevent the vast mojority of crashes. However, we are far away from this.

And yet they (the good things mentioned above) don't happen.

"Won't ever happen to me... CRASH"

I assume "driving while under the influence of a cell phone" isn't policed aggressively because people want to continue doing it.

pasadena
12-26-2020, 12:17 PM
I have family in Annapolis Cove area, and know that area well. I've only ever ridden in the areas south of the naval academy.

Seems like a drunk or drugs, charged once they got the blood results.

oldguy00
12-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Just read a follow up piece from WJZ to find out more about the controlled substance. Originally they suspected he was drowsy from Tylenol PM but:

a blood toxicology report later showed Behler had cocaine, Alprazolam and metabolites for cocaine in his blood system.

So in this case, phone doesn't appear to have played a role.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/12/23/carl-behler-charged-in-fatal-crash-that-killed-cyclist-arthur-carter-injured-2-others-in-march/

Prob get 6 months probation.....

pasadena
12-26-2020, 04:20 PM
After appearing in court Tuesday to face the seven charges, Judge Sydney Butcher ordered Behler to be held without bond.

Behler is facing 26 years in prison on seven charges including negligent manslaughter by auto, homicide by motor vehicle and driving while impaired.

Arundel County prosecutors won't let this fly. Clear cut, mandatory jail time. 26 yrs? Depends on how good the defense attorney is

Prob get 6 months probation.....

dddd
12-26-2020, 06:35 PM
I know from past cases that toxicology can take quite a while, but it took over nine months for the charges to be pressed.

But at least it finally happened, and for all I know, the attorneys may have already negotiated terms with the DA(???), and this guy is probably going to be locked up for a few years.

ridethecliche
12-26-2020, 09:46 PM
I know from past cases that toxicology can take quite a while, but it took over nine months for the charges to be pressed.

But at least it finally happened, and for all I know, the attorneys may have already negotiated terms with the DA(???), and this guy is probably going to be locked up for a few years.

I find that interesting because we can usually get those from a pee test pretty damn quickly in the hospital. I wonder if those aren't considered infallible enough for court?

Utoxes are pretty standard and run by ED's not infrequently.

dddd
12-26-2020, 10:43 PM
A cycling fatality here where an "impaired" driver killed a fellow club member several years ago was delayed for quite a while as I recall due to the wait for toxicology results. And as it turned out, the driver was only showing minimal blood levels of drugs on the early morning that it happened. However the sleep-deprivation effects of the stimulant drugs were considered and that driver was sentenced to prison since there was no excuse for him simply drifting into the bike lane on Forresthill Road after crossing the arrow-straight Forresthill Bridge at ~6:30AM, about two miles from my house.

The Las Vegas box truck driver had high levels of drugs at the time of his crash but similarly admitted to using the stimulant drugs the day before, leaving him no doubt sleep-deprived at the time.

In many of these cases the driver is initially not thought to be under the influence, but the presence of stimulants in their blood later explains their passing out at the wheel, from mental exhaustion.