PDA

View Full Version : What´s the determining factor on your bike?

colker
03-08-2020, 07:33 AM
1_ tire clearance. ( 25s feel really good x throw up when looking at anything less than 28 tires)

2_ brake type ( i rather not brake x i won´t have a bike i can´t sell in the classifieds)

3_ geometry (quick/slow, short/ long front. )

4_ steel x ultralightweight.

5_ titanium grey/ nude carbon x the world is made of colors.

6_ custom x pinarello/colnago x affordable.

7_ used x new.

Black Dog
03-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Handling. Handling. Handling. In that order.

Spdntrxi
03-08-2020, 08:56 AM
long and low... so I have to go with Geo

tuscanyswe
03-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Good fit n geo paired with good looks. If it fits great but look meh im not even remotely interested. If it fits poor but looks good i still want it but i will likely not get it .)

colker
03-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Handling. Handling. Handling. In that order.

I like your serotta.;)

zmalwo
03-08-2020, 09:26 AM
metal dropouts, threaded BB and handling

ultraman6970
03-08-2020, 09:36 AM
#1 Brand... if not in my bucket list or super rare i pass.

#2 Size... if clears #1, size, being normal height is a problem, some stuff is just not available in my size. And now that im shrinking due to age even more, waited like 10 years to find a C50 my size, even more to find a derosa prof. in my size.

#3 $!!! price.

#4 Condition... if clears #1, #2 and #3.. then condition, sometimes i have no choice because i know are so hard to find that i have to live with some stuff.

#5 Geometry? well... im a racing geometry guy and that's super standard, some frames from looking at them you know how they handle and i like quick handling.

#6 misc like tire size arent a factor because I do not fall in market fads at all, so no 32's and weird size tires because market says is the way to go because will be faster, cant ride faster anymore :P 23/25/27 tubies is all i use so no worries about clearance at all, 23 and 25 wide tubulars always fit in any bike.

colker
03-08-2020, 11:12 AM
#1 Brand... if not in my bucket list or super rare i pass.

#2 Size... if clears #1, size, being normal height is a problem, some stuff is just not available in my size. And now that im shrinking due to age even more, waited like 10 years to find a C50 my size, even more to find a derosa prof. in my size.

#3 $!!! price.

#4 Condition... if clears #1, #2 and #3.. then condition, sometimes i have no choice because i know are so hard to find that i have to live with some stuff.

#5 Geometry? well... im a racing geometry guy and that's super standard, some frames from looking at them you know how they handle and i like quick handling.

#6 misc like tire size arent a factor because I do not fall in market fads at all, so no 32's and weird size tires because market says is the way to go because will be faster, cant ride faster anymore :P 23/25/27 tubies is all i use so no worries about clearance at all, 23 and 25 wide tubulars always fit in any bike.

I am in the same train of thought. I know what i want and won´t try what i don´t want.

Mark McM
03-08-2020, 11:37 AM
You missed another important factor:

#7 Necessity to use proprietary or uncommon components.

#7 can rule out a bike for me, and of the factors mentioned, I usually go in order of Geometry, then Tire width.

colker
03-08-2020, 11:43 AM
What about color? Paint is underrated. I may give up on a bike that´s functionally perfect if the color is wrong. If i don´t like looking at it then it´s no game.

mhespenheide
03-08-2020, 12:12 PM
I mean, level zero is the fit, right? The rest doesn't matter if it doesn't fit.

After that, are you asking about what I would look for from a NEW bike, or the defining characteristics of the bike(s) that I own? For the bikes that I already own, I prefer:

[1] Tire clearance. I know it isn't a thing to others, but the most interesting roads around here are in bad repair, and 28-32mm is my preference. If I were racing, I'd probably ride fat 25's on wide rims, but I'm not racing. Tires at the top end of "road" riding let me enjoy my rides more, and I don't care if it costs me a little speed as a tradeoff.

[2] Handling. I don't have anything super-responsive or super-sedate. I want a moderate response that can still carve downhill turns.

[3] Value. I have an affection for blue-collar performance bikes, or for bikes that I've scored sweetheart deals when bought used. Partially, that's because I don't have a ton of income so that's what I'm stuck with. But I also just get a kick out of good results coming from less money. Along with that goes...

[4] ...non-proprietary parts.

mhespenheide
03-08-2020, 12:13 PM
What about color? Paint is underrated. I may give up on a bike that´s functionally perfect if the color is wrong. If i don´t like looking at it then it´s no game.

I mean, not just the color but also the overall graphic design. If I'm looking at potential bikes to buy, I've even been turned off by the font.. :help:

madsciencenow
03-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Geo, it’s gotta fit me; not CF, with a couple exceptions; aesthetics, ya I’m like that; and non-proprietary parts although if everything else lines up I might make an exception.

The condition and price also need to make sense or it needs to be on my bucket list for me to spend more than I think it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m_sasso
03-08-2020, 12:35 PM
I support my interests, national origin of the builder has some bearing on my purchase choices, spaghetti o's and all that!

drgonzo
03-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Good fit n geo paired with good looks. If it fits great but look meh im not even remotely interested. If it fits poor but looks good i still want it but i will likely not get it .)

this.

Tickdoc
03-08-2020, 02:47 PM
I need it to be somewhat exclusive and different from the rest, handmade, and fit of course. Stance is important to me. Level top tubes are a plus. And campy.

Robot870
03-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Titanium frame and all parts need to be very durable.......

nobuseri
03-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Good summary of what I am looking for has already been mentioned.

Assuming that size/geo are a given, I would say brand is somewhat important. I have an affinity to certain makes and if the frameset in question is out of scope, probably no deal.

Also, I try to steer away from these proprietary “systems,” or non-standard finishing kits.

Tire clearance is not a deal breaker. I have no issues running 23c tires and I don’t intend on running 28s on tarmac. 25s on wide wheels seem to fit the bill.

Not too worried about bottom bracket interfaces anymore as I can buy threaded inserts for just about any type now.

I generally steer towards level top tube frames. I ride larger sizes and I think it looks better, aesthetically.

I like round(er) tubing than all the diff shapes out there. I am not really into aero bikes.

All the above, and it’s an alloy, they can probably take my money. :)

dustyrider
03-08-2020, 05:31 PM
1_ tire clearance. ( 25s feel really good x throw up when looking at anything less than 28 tires)

2_ brake type ( i rather not brake x i won´t have a bike i can´t sell in the classifieds)

3_ geometry (quick/slow, short/ long front. )

4_ steel x ultralightweight.

5_ titanium grey/ nude carbon x the world is made of colors.

6_ custom x pinarello/colnago x affordable.

7_ used x new.

1-3. I never purchase material goods based on re-sale. It’s supposed to bring me satisfaction now, not someone else satisfaction later. Different horses for different courses

4. Steel, ti, and carbon is what I currently own, have had aluminum before and might be what I get next...as far as weight goes? I don’t own a scale.

5. Color depends on what strikes my fancy at any given time, and it can always be changed.

6. I don’t think I’ll ever justify a custom made bicycle after wrecking a few stock ones over the years. Never mind figuring in the growing cost and wait times. I’d much rather buy a motorcycle...

7. When I go for used bicycles, it’s a frame or Frameset. New, I usually go xt or ultegra and replace with xt or Dura Ace when things wear or break. Technology typically doesn’t sway me unless we’re talking suspension, or electronic shifting which I avoid even after trying it.

Good luck. Sometimes the hunt can be more fun than the owning! But try to enjoy the things you spend time purchasing more than the act of purchasing. Lately, I find the most joy in enjoying what I already have!

kiwisimon
03-08-2020, 05:57 PM
1) have i had my eye on one for a long time.
2) fit and geometry.
3) ability to take a wide range of components.
4) colors appeal.
5) makes me smile when I ride it. Sometimes a bike ticks all the boxes but this and thus the process starts again.

Black Dog
03-08-2020, 07:01 PM
I like your serotta.;)

Thanks, Me too. Best handling bike I have ever rode. I assume that you meant this one and not my Serotta CRT (which is a great bike too but does handle as well as the CII. Every thing you see here is my answer to your good questions. I also have a Ti bike because durability is high on my list.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697943529&stc=1&d=1501246196

colker
03-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Thanks, Me too. Best handling bike I have ever rode. I assume that you meant this one and not my Serotta CRT (which is a great bike too but does handle as well as the CII. Every thing you see here is my answer to your good questions. I also have a Ti bike because durability is high on my list.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697943529&stc=1&d=1501246196

This one. Yes. From looking at it i know it´s a great handler. It´s tight.

wallymann
03-08-2020, 07:28 PM
long and low... so I have to go with Geo

same... same.

Schredder
03-08-2020, 07:37 PM
I’m surprised “planing” has not been mentioned Lol?? As I was riding my steel frame this morning I could swear the frame was planing.

colker
03-08-2020, 08:23 PM
I’m surprised “planing” has not been mentioned Lol?? As I was riding my steel frame this morning I could swear the frame was planing.

I always looked for flex as a comfort or vibe thing from high end steel. This was on handmade mountain bikes like Fat Chance wickeds and Ibis mojo. I would sync w/ the bike, w/ the steel and blahblah. Then i turned to road riding and found myself on a very stiff italian lugged steel bike. At first i wanted to go back to flexy frames and complained... but the more i was riding took me to realize that tracking straight no matter what was actually relaxing and comfortable. So now i enjoy the stiffness.

kppolich
03-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Always used, you can get twice the bike for your money.
Weather is the deciding factor for me when choosing a bike from my stable.

steveoz
03-08-2020, 08:49 PM

I have a "rule" no blue bikes...I had a blue Specialized years ago that would find every nail, glass shard, or other sharp item in the road and flatten - quite literally -every other ride. It got to the point where I carried 2 sets of tubes and co2 just to finish a ride...as I say that I'm staring directly at a blue/white fade Serotta Atlanta freshly bought off the 'bay (it's a Serotta so I have hope...)

koudja
03-08-2020, 11:15 PM
In order:
1) geo/handling
2) good looks (vanity is important)
3) cost

CAAD
03-09-2020, 06:35 AM
For me it's not really an order but the package. When I first read about English cycles I was sold. Custom geometry, handling, lightweight, steel, looks. Checked all the boxes. It's not an order it's a combination of feature. I want it all no compromises. Mass market plastic bike just do nothing for me, they are full of compromises. On stock bikes you give up something every time, you pretty much have to settle on compromised geometry.

Ti Designs
03-09-2020, 06:39 AM
At this point it's whatever I rode last year.

Yeh, it's still 9-speed.

choke
03-09-2020, 12:55 PM
One must have for me is the DT shifter mounts. It often limits my choices because there are several great bikes that don't have them.

Steel forks are a near must. I'll make an exception for something that didn't come with one like a Ti bike....but if that steel frame has had the original steel fork replaced with a carbon one it's a definite pass.

I do like something that's not common, i.e. a lesser known maker.

David Tollefson
03-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Since mine are all made by me for me (and for that matter, every one I make for a customer as well), of all the factors mentioned, I don't compromise on any of them. Okay, if "titanium vs steel" is a point of contention for you, then yeah, I only build steel.

benb
03-09-2020, 01:32 PM
1) Far and away fit fit fit. Geometry doesn't even matter as much as just that I can get my contact points exact.

2) Has my preferred handlebars

3) Has my preferred saddle

4) Has a Power meter

5) Better have fenders if it's my bad weather bike

6) Peace of mind that the bike is solid and is not going to break

I'm comfortable and balanced I'm having a good ride.

Frame material and stuff like that is way down the list. One of my bikes is cheap steel, it's a donkey. But it satisfies everything above so it's a very enjoyable bike.

ftf
03-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Fit is the number one, obviously, everything is a compromise, as with everything in life.

Waldo62
03-09-2020, 02:11 PM
* Lugged steel and 28s+ (occasionally willing to settle for 25s for hen's teeth frames such as Nagasawa Road in my size).

* No crazy steep head angles and within 1cm of my preferred seat and top tube lengths.

* Assuming the above are present, I'm confident that I can get myself comfortable and balanced on the bike.

bigbill
03-09-2020, 03:46 PM
How popular it will be with Portuguese speaking South American countries.

colker
03-09-2020, 03:53 PM
How popular it will be with Portuguese speaking South American countries.

Basso Viper was a favourite but now all we want is Dogma. Me? Custom made steel in São Paulo by Cardoso Cycles.

Velocipede
03-09-2020, 04:11 PM
It depends. Is it a custom frame and custom paint or stock frame and stock paint? Is it old or new?

If it's custom with a custom finish, it's about who is making it for me. Who will be painting it also.

If it's stock with a stock finish, it's about geometry and then the finishes they offer.

If it's old, like vintage, it's about geometry and finish. Take a LeMond GAN Excel frame. Geometry is usually 60c-c with a 59c-c toptube. So it comes down to how beat up the frame is. Is the finish in great shape? Any damage to the frame dents wise? Does it have the original fork?

Material is immaterial to me. So is tire clearance. I don't run a 28. So I don't have an issue. And I love rim brakes so that doesn't bother me either.

Seramount
03-09-2020, 04:21 PM
not that I've owned very many bikes, but appearance has always comes first.

e.g., really not into red frames or sloping top tubes,those fail the eyeball test for me.

if I don't like how it looks, won't buy it regardless of ride quality. fit is a no-brainer, don't care about resale, tire size.

like non-mainstream stuff, was an 'early adopter' of both Al and lugged carbon bikes...

Waldo62
03-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, and no disc brakes -- no way, no how.

cinema
03-09-2020, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have an aversion to white frames? I always assumed you'd see everything on them and would have to try and keep it clean constantly but when clean they look great.

93KgBike
03-09-2020, 11:34 PM
The look good dirty too. Once had a card stuck in a filthy old treasure asking to buy it.

jtbadge
03-09-2020, 11:41 PM
Does anyone have an aversion to white frames? I always assumed you'd see everything on them and would have to try and keep it clean constantly but when clean they look great.

I had a white frame was even harder to keep clean because the clear coat wasn't smooth/polished. Every time I looked at it, there was a new smudge!

Never buying a white frame again.