PDA

View Full Version : More races being canceled

Shoeman
03-06-2020, 10:51 AM
https://www.cyclingnews.com/

cash05458
03-06-2020, 11:00 AM
sure...whatever...cancel everything right...

tandemracer
03-06-2020, 11:15 AM
It's laughable that so many of these races are saying they will be postponed. There win't be enough room in the calendar to squeeze in all these postponed events.

Blue Jays
03-06-2020, 11:17 AM
We cannot be in suburban / rural parts of the United States and criticize Italian organizers and fans in the epicenter of our shared virus struggle.
Everyone involved is undoubtedly doing their best to keep cyclists, organizers, officials, fans, and all related to them as healthy as possible.

merckx
03-06-2020, 11:18 AM
It's laughable that so many of these races are saying they will be postponed. There win't be enough room in the calendar to squeeze in all these postponed events.

Promoters are gingerly guiding sponsors through a minefield. Announcing a postponement at this moment means that no one gets hurt, too badly.

cash05458
03-06-2020, 11:21 AM
We cannot be in suburban / rural parts of the United States and criticize Italian organizers and fans in the epicenter of our shared virus struggle.
Everyone involved is undoubtedly doing their best to keep cyclists, organizers, officials, fans, and all related to them as healthy as possible.

ummm...I don't see anyone criticizing Italians via "the shared virus struggle"...just disappointed is all...is that ok?

MattTuck
03-06-2020, 11:27 AM
So, am I reading this right for Milano-Sanremo's history of cancelling the race?

1916: Cancelled due to World War I (the Great War)
1944: Cancelled due to World War II
1945: Cancelled due to World War II
2020: Cancelled due to Corona Virus

Let that sink in as to how scared policy makers are about this disease. Or, have we just grown accustomed to a world with very little risk and lost our ability to assess it?

Blue Jays
03-06-2020, 11:54 AM
"...sure...whatever...cancel everything right..."
ummm...I don't see anyone criticizing Italians via "the shared virus struggle"...just disappointed is all...is that ok?

I would anticipate most people would find that first statement as certainly criticizing their decision.
Everyone is naturally disappointed. Race organizers for Milan-San Remo are in an unenviable tough spot.

flying
03-06-2020, 12:00 PM
So, am I reading this right for Milano-Sanremo's history of cancelling the race?

1916: Cancelled due to World War I (the Great War)
1944: Cancelled due to World War II
1945: Cancelled due to World War II
2020: Cancelled due to Corona Virus

Let that sink in as to how scared policy makers are about this disease. Or, have we just grown accustomed to a world with very little risk and lost our ability to assess it?

I have also wondered this & do not blame anyone for reaction/over reaction but...am not sure hiding from a virus today is even possible in any way

ERK55
03-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind the Italians have had 50 deaths in the past 24 hours. Yes, mostly older people, no young pro athletes, but still no joke.

flying
03-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Keep in mind the Italians have had 50 deaths in the past 24 hours. Yes, mostly older people, no young pro athletes, but still no joke.

Yes but, Back at start of Flu Season this year in Italy
Nearly half a Million Flu cases were reported in one week alone in Italy with 240 deaths (not sure of deaths date span as article is unclear) & I believe that was the "normal" Flu season starting

But yes 50 in 24 hours is incredibly high

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

Mark McM
03-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Often, promoters will take out insurance policies to cover cases where events have to be cancelled (due to extreme weather, natural disasters, etc.). I wonder if these races have such policies to help soften the blow, and if the policies covers disease quarantines.

temeyone
03-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Take a second to think about how many older folks go to bike races and how the risk of transmission of a pretty highly contagious disease that may end their lives prematurely might affect promoters’ decision-making.
I’m not afraid of the virus, but I’m also not in the demographic at highest risk of its effects

temeyone
03-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Imagine being healthy enough to be resistant, going to an event despite knowing you probably shouldn’t and sickening a dozen people, some of whom die. Social responsibility isn’t humanity’s strongest suit, so I applaud the promoters for taking the hit to ensure their event doesn’t spark a huge spike in illnesses/deaths

Blue Jays
03-06-2020, 01:06 PM
/\/\/\

Those were two reasonable, pragmatic, and well-considered posts above, temeyone.

R3awak3n
03-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Imagine being healthy enough to be resistant, going to an event despite knowing you probably shouldn’t and sickening a dozen people, some of whom die. Social responsibility isn’t humanity’s strongest suit, so I applaud the promoters for taking the hit to ensure their event doesn’t spark a huge spike in illnesses/deaths

yep.

Its just a bike race, who cares... they will be back next year for your entertainment.

Mark McM
03-06-2020, 01:13 PM

I don't think this was the final reason for the promoter's decision. The reality was that the Italian Government was banning spectators from sporting events, and many teams had withdrawn from the race, making the race non-viable.

Of course, the reason for the government ban on spectators at sporting events was for the reasons you give, but it also took this part of the decision away from the event promoters.

benb
03-06-2020, 01:53 PM
I'm sure this is about the crowds more than the riders.

Now the interesting thing is if we start to see this with say Baseball, etc..

A crowd of people stretched out along miles of road doesn't seem as bad as a stadium.

Mark McM
03-06-2020, 02:06 PM
I just watched TV coverage of the Biathlon events being held in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic. The Czech Republic isn't banning sport events from taking place, but they are banning spectators. It was a little eerie watching athletes complete in front of empty grandstands, with no fans lining the course, and without the roaring and cheering of the crowds.

The FIS has just cancelled the Alpine World Cup Ski Finals, which were to be held in Cortina, Italy, starting late next week. Previously they had announced they were going to hold the event without spectators, but all the member nations (except Italy) voted to cancel them entirely. This weekend's Wold Cup races in Sweden will go on as planned, and will be the last World Cup races held this year.

Shoeman
03-06-2020, 02:07 PM
I'm sure this is about the crowds more than the riders.

Now the interesting thing is if we start to see this with say Baseball, etc..

A crowd of people stretched out along miles of road doesn't seem as bad as a stadium.

Could very well come to this if the virus picks up steam, who knows but seems to be getting scarier by the day. The final four with no spectators, can you imagine all stadium sports being off limits to the general population!

zzy
03-06-2020, 02:12 PM
The real question at this point is will we lose the Olympics AND Euro Cup..

mtechnica
03-06-2020, 02:22 PM
The real question at this point is will we lose the Olympics AND Euro Cup..

Japan is saying the Olympics are still on, but I have my doubts that things will be contained by then. I truly hope I'm wrong, but then, I've been called a pessimist.

Blue Jays
03-06-2020, 02:32 PM
I will have to check status of the Tokyo Marathon, the London Marathon, the Berlin Marathon, and the New York Marathon out of curiosity.

zzy
03-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Japan is saying the Olympics are still on, but I have my doubts that things will be contained by then. I truly hope I'm wrong, but then, I've been called a pessimist.

They're going to be run regardless, the question is with or without fans.

MattTuck
03-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Take a second to think about how many older folks go to bike races and how the risk of transmission of a pretty highly contagious disease that may end their lives prematurely might affect promoters’ decision-making.
I’m not afraid of the virus, but I’m also not in the demographic at highest risk of its effects

Lots of people die from diabetes and related conditions. I don't see public officials banning sugar.

All of this cancelling of events/banning spectators seems a bit like trying to shore up a levy, that will inevitably fail. Not saying it is the wrong approach, but I am not sure what buying a few weeks or months will really mean in the long term.

It sounds like a vaccine (if one can be developed) is years away due to safety studies that will need to be completed. And, unless you can mint more healthcare workers (not something you can just flip the switch on), I am not sure what additional time will allow. Maybe, better government planning/logistics?

It sounds like this is going to eventually hit a big percentage of the population, regardless of whether Milano-Sanremo is cancelled.

572cv
03-06-2020, 05:59 PM
There isn’t a vaccine. There is only an historically proven strategy that cutting down on the number of persons the virus can access helps stem the spread of the epidemic. So, a government or organization makes a decision to ban large gatherings. IF they are successful, the likelihood of matters becoming more stabilized in a shorter period of time increase. Next years races and events become more likely. It’s a numbers game. I hope it works, and fewer people become victims.

witcombusa
03-07-2020, 07:28 AM
Well recent history tells us...

oldpotatoe
03-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Lots of people die from diabetes and related conditions. I don't see public officials banning sugar.

All of this cancelling of events/banning spectators seems a bit like trying to shore up a levy, that will inevitably fail. Not saying it is the wrong approach, but I am not sure what buying a few weeks or months will really mean in the long term.

It sounds like a vaccine (if one can be developed) is years away due to safety studies that will need to be completed. And, unless you can mint more healthcare workers (not something you can just flip the switch on), I am not sure what additional time will allow. Maybe, better government planning/logistics?

It sounds like this is going to eventually hit a big percentage of the population, regardless of whether Milano-Sanremo is cancelled.

Apples and zuccini-people don't 'catch' diabetes..

Fewer people infected who could, in turn, infect others?

The 'vaccine' won't be a silver bullet like the movies. It will be akin to the flu vaccines, with limited effectiveness.

30% cut in CDC and HHS department..brilliant...at least the DOD got more $....:eek:Hey, parades are important!!

colker
03-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Health systems of all countries are not big enough to handle this epidemic.
Authorities don´t want infected crowding the city hospital because next all patients w/ lower immuno will start dying. So they cancel as much human gathering as they can. If they could, they would empty their cities.
It´s common sense to size down human gathering. No authority wants to deal w/people falling left and right sick and not being able to provide care; it turns into nightmare of epic proportions.
If Italy quarentined the whole of Lombardia, the heart of their economy, then you know it´s time to stay at home.