PDA

View Full Version : MTB helmet w/visor and great air flow?

Lewis Moon
03-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Riding in the early morning in the desert has really highlighted why MTB helmets have visors. Swooping down a trail at warp zillion is pretty scary when your eyes have trouble adjusting between shadows and full sun. Sunglasses just make it worse.
So...can someone recommend an MTB helmet with a visor that fits like a POC Octal Raceday and has outstanding ventilation?
Fit is paramount...I can't wear Giro w/o getting a flat spot on my forehead.

msl819
03-06-2020, 11:02 AM
I have a Smith and have been very pleased. Check them out!

jimcav
03-06-2020, 12:15 PM
Riding in the early morning in the desert has really highlighted why MTB helmets have visors. Swooping down a trail at warp zillion is pretty scary when your eyes have trouble adjusting between shadows and full sun. Sunglasses just make it worse.
So...can someone recommend an MTB helmet with a visor that fits like a POC Octal Raceday and has outstanding ventilation?
Fit is paramount...I can't wear Giro w/o getting a flat spot on my forehead.

work well for me in SW desert rides. I have yet to find a helmet were the sweat doesn't build up at the forehead pad and then overflow onto my awesome glasses. So i am watching replies too-thanks for posting the question.

Pinned
03-06-2020, 12:32 PM
I've got a POC Tectal...or whatever it is they call their MTB lid. It's very nice and well ventilated but too deep for my head so it goes unused, but if POC works for you it's definitely a well made helmet.

Lewis Moon
03-06-2020, 01:36 PM
I've got a POC Tectal...or whatever it is they call their MTB lid. It's very nice and well ventilated but too deep for my head so it goes unused, but if POC works for you it's definitely a well made helmet.

The Tectal is what I'm looking at. POCs fit me very well, the best of any helmet I've tried. I had seen the Trabec and was underwhelmed with the ventilation, then I saw the Tectal and the vents look almost as big as my Octal.
Thanks!

Bob Ross
03-06-2020, 05:58 PM
Check out the Lazer LZB-10 Roller. Available both with or without MIPS.

joosttx
03-06-2020, 06:02 PM
I really like my Kask Rex. I cannot compare it the POC helmets though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeO1q83o7ks

Hilltopperny
03-07-2020, 07:51 AM
I have been using a Lazer Oasiz iirc. It has pretty good ventilation and seems very solid. Compared to the Octal Raceday it is a bit heavier with a little less ventilation. I have only been using it since crashing in early November so tough to say how it will be in a warmer climate. It replaced my Smith Route mips which was an excellent helmet for actual protection, but not anywhere near the ventilation of a POC. The Smith helmet did keep me from sustaining any brain or head trauma after getting shot off of my bike at 20+ MPH at 220lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk