PDA

View Full Version : Some videos for John Tomac fans

fiamme red
03-05-2020, 09:03 PM
I think that anyone who rode mountain bikes back in the '90's was a Tomac fan. I stuck to the road, but I was still a Tomac fan.

Enjoy. :)

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/throwback-thursday-vintage-john-tomac-footage-from-the-early-90s.html

pinkshogun
03-05-2020, 09:39 PM
fanny packs and canti brakes

Tony
03-05-2020, 09:44 PM
fanny packs and canti brakes

Fanny packs are still a thing!

sw3759
03-05-2020, 10:01 PM
Fanny packs are still a thing!

and Canti brakes are still a thing for a lot of us too!

peanutgallery
03-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Narrow bars, 26" wheels, rudimentary suspension and long stems made those courses pretty brutal:) Tomac was a stone cold assassin back then

charliedid
03-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Narrow bars, 26" wheels, rudimentary suspension and long stems made those courses pretty brutal:) Tomac was a stone cold assassin back then

I don't think many people realize just how good the best riders both male and female were back then. Tomac in his prime on a modern downhill bike would rip a tear in the universe.

clyde the point
03-06-2020, 04:58 AM
I like his take on the Euro's coming to MTB and the changes evident from chemical enhancement. From a grass-roots sport to >>>supercharged. Great to see him in his down to earth midwestern values and helping his son. (From the Bell video at the end).

72gmc
03-06-2020, 09:11 AM
I occasionally watch Eli's videos and enjoy his dad's cameos. Pretty amazing play space they've built for dirt bikes.

peanutgallery
03-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Eli Tomac is amazing on the dirt bike, when he gets the bit between his teeth he is the 2nd coming of Ryan Villopoto. He rides the bike, the track and the competition into the ground. Amazing to see in person

Then there's his frustrating alter ego...Elito Mac. Getting punted over the berm by back markers, terrible starts, "arm pump". He definitely makes championships interesting as he ebbs and flows through a season. This year he's let Ken Roczen back into the points race and gotten Barcia and Baggett wanting to punt him into the stands. Should make for some interesting SX races

I occasionally watch Eli's videos and enjoy his dad's cameos. Pretty amazing play space they've built for dirt bikes.

Davist
03-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Big fan.. my club ran the world cup in Hunter Mountain in ? '92 when he rode 1/2 the race on the rim of that disc wheel. Went out to Durango and saw him in the parking lot after I rode at Purgatory, had a brief conversation and snapped this.. :banana:

gpendergast
03-06-2020, 04:25 PM
the 1991 WC race in Berlin was awesome! thanks for sharing