PDA

View Full Version : Are Speedplay X2 pedals discontinued?

BobC
03-05-2020, 08:34 PM
just had my order canx'd.

I know Speedplay was bought out. Does anyone have any insight or know what is going on?

shinomaster
03-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Pretty certain they were discontinued...

Elefantino
03-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Yes. Confirmed with the company's sale to Wahoo last year.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2020, 06:54 AM
just had my order canx'd.

I know Speedplay was bought out. Does anyone have any insight or know what is going on?

Good question. I know that WAHOO reps are talking to BIG retailers of SP pedals about things like X2 pedals..and Frogs also. The one, local BIG one I talked to 2 days ago mentioned that WAHOO intends to cnx X series BUT many retailers didn't like that decision at all..BUT, WAHOO is full of bean counters..I wouldn't be surprised that X series and Frogs go away..too bad..

BTW-NO product available until about March 20th as well, like cleats...To Retailers..ExCel sports in this instance,

A1A
03-06-2020, 08:12 AM
Anyone heard anything about the Syzr's? Hope they continue to manufacture and sell them as well as the cleats. I know they are polarizing like a lot of Speedplay stuff but I have them on my gravel bike and love them for that purpose. But I never got the impression they were a hot seller. Too bad about the X2's, my main road pedal. So that's only going to leave the X1 Ti and X3 Chrom Moly versions? Or are they doing away with the X series completely? thanks

oldpotatoe
03-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Anyone heard anything about the Syzr's? Hope they continue to manufacture and sell them as well as the cleats. I know they are polarizing like a lot of Speedplay stuff but I have them on my gravel bike and love them for that purpose. But I never got the impression they were a hot seller. Too bad about the X2's, my main road pedal. So that's only going to leave the X1 Ti and X3 Chrom Moly versions? Or are they doing away with the X series completely? thanks

I 'think' the entire X series lineup is going to get axed. Along with Frogs..no idea about SYZRs.

Elefantino
03-06-2020, 08:23 AM
I 'think' the entire X series lineup is going to get axed. Along with Frogs..no idea about SYZRs.
I wish Wahoo would develop power meter X-2s.

A1A
03-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Unfortunate, at least IMO... I think a lot of people would say the X series is what built Speedplay. Must be a gazillion of them out there. That probably means you soon won't be able to get X cleats and have to buy Zero pedals and cleats which is great for Wahoo if you own several bikes but would be quite an investment. I hope they at least continue to manufacture them stateside...

BobC
03-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Good question. I know that WAHOO reps are talking to BIG retailers of SP pedals about things like X2 pedals..and Frogs also. The one, local BIG one I talked to 2 days ago mentioned that WAHOO intends to cnx X series BUT many retailers didn't like that decision at all..BUT, WAHOO is full of bean counters..I wouldn't be surprised that X series and Frogs go away..too bad..

BTW-NO product available until about March 20th as well, like cleats...To Retailers..ExCel sports in this instance,

Yeah it was Excel that canx'd my order. Both the set of cleats & a set of X2s. Argh.

Soooooo, for those of use with a crap ton of X2s -- are the ultra light action pedals/cleats compatible with the X series? Does anyone have experience with the ultra lights?

GScot
03-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Unfortunate. My wife has been on X series and frogs as long as she has been riding. I think my spare parts stockpile is about depleted too.

A1A
03-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Someone is selling new X cleats on Ebay for $124.97 but at least the shipping is free. Let the gouging begin...

Matthew
03-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Damn. Been on X2s for as long as they've been around I think. Every road bike has them. The other recent pedal thread had me considering a move to Shimano. This may be coming sooner than I thought. No way I'm paying a huge amount for cleats. Sucks my nicest shoes are SP specific too. Could be in a real pickle.

wallymann
03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
opening up the float adjustment to max should allow zeros to function like X in practice? while the total amount of float may not quite be as much, it should be pretty close yes?

granted, if you've committed to X pedals across your entire fleet as i have, it's a huge investment to change over all of them to zeros...

merckx
03-06-2020, 11:22 AM
opening up the float adjustment to max should allow zeros to function like X in practice? while the total amount of float may not quite be as much, it should be pretty close yes?

This.

SPOKE
03-06-2020, 11:25 AM
I have a small fortune in all the “X” series pedals. Probably about 18-20 pair on bikes or in boxes waiting to install on new builds. I’ll probably just start making my own repair parts

A1A
03-06-2020, 11:43 AM
That's the problem, I have probably 8 pair of X2's which translates to probabably $1,500 in buying 8 pair of Zero's... A windfall for Wahoo if everyone has to do that. Maybe that was part of their strategy when they bought the company...

torquer
03-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Has anyone tried using the Zero cleats with X-series pedals?
I know Speedplay tells you not to, but I recall some folks on the forum saying it could be done.
Any first-hand experience?

wallymann
03-06-2020, 12:13 PM
maybe some enterprising chinese fabricator will start making the X cleats....they're already making axles, bowties, and other bits of X pedal hardware on the aftermarket.

Mark McM
03-06-2020, 12:27 PM
I know Speedplay tells you not to, but I recall some folks on the forum saying it could be done.

I'm pretty sure that won't work. The Zero cleats use a tab on the spring clips that engages a slot underneath the butterfly. The slot has ramps on either side that cause the tab/spring to be pushed outward disengaged when the pedal cleat is rotated on the pedal. The X series pedals don't have that slot with ramps. If you were able to clip a Zero cleat into an X pedal, I don't think you could rely on the tab/spring being pushed outward and disengaging from the pedal.

Retention and disengagement between cleat and pedal can be a safety issue, so this is probably not a good idea.

Lanternrouge
03-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Given how much the cleats sell for, it's hard to see why Wahoo wouldn't want to keep selling the cleats. It would be really lame of Wahoo to discontinue the cleats.

mistermo
03-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Why did Wahoo buy Speedplay only to kill it? What am I missing here?

Mark McM
03-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Why did Wahoo buy Speedplay only to kill it? What am I missing here?

Speedplay had two lines of road pedals: The X Series (their original product from 30 year ago) and the Zero Series (derived from the X Series). For that last few years, the Zero pedals have been outselling the X Series by a wide margin. Speeplay (under Richard Bryne) had been very good about supporting older products (today's X Series cleats will still work with 30 year old pedals, and many spare service parts are available). But the new owners may not be as interested in continuing older designs and lower volume products, and may instead concentrate on newer and higher volume pedals.

I'm a big fan of the X series (I've been using them for 25 years) and I'd be sad if they disappeared.

Elefantino
03-06-2020, 01:15 PM
I'd rather hoard X-2 pedals and cleats than hand sanitizer, frankly.

BobC
03-06-2020, 02:19 PM
From Excel:

------------------------
Hi Robert,

We are getting very little information from Wahoo about what they are planning to do with anything. We will still attempt to carry whichever parts they do decide to offer. I don’t think any of the other cleats will work for you, they are specific to the type of pedal. As soon as we can get a solid order going all the items will reappear on our website.

Thanks!

Helen
-----------------------
<Expletive deleted>

Mustangski
03-06-2020, 10:49 PM

Did it once when I switched to X series pedals from the Zero's, the cleat locked in fine but had a heck of a time getting it out!

This really sucks, I need new cleats for my x series. Looks like most places online are sold out and Ebay is full of high priced replacements.

oldpotatoe
03-07-2020, 06:59 AM

No..different 'system'..Zero, the pedal 'locks' onto the cleat spring and the spring then rotates in the cleat. X series, the pedal locks around the spring but the 'float' is the pedal moving without the spring moving. Plus the Zwro sprng is flat, the X series is round..
Soooooo, for those of use with a crap ton of X2s -- are the ultra light action pedals/cleats compatible with the X series? Does anyone have experience with the ultra lights?

Light Action pedals are Zeros with a 'softer' spring that means easier in and out plus no float adjust..BUT, they 'feel' a lot like Zeros. NOT the 'walking i=on ice' feel of X series..I think Wahoo is making a mistake killing X series and Frogs but it's run by counters of beans..

makoti
03-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Well, damn. Guess I need t stock up on cleats. My X1's & 2's have been around for at least 12 years

Anyone know if there is a difference between the V2 & slimline cleats?

woolly
03-07-2020, 03:38 PM
I'm more concerned about them discontinuing the Frogs. At least with the X's I could suffer through the cost of replacing a few sets of pedals and still have something somewhat close to what I had before. There's nothing else really like the Frogs, which I feel are the best touring'ish type of pedal out there (especially if you're already accustomed to the X's for more pure road shoes).

I still use SPD's for mountain bike & real off-roading. But for walkable-shoe urban/touring/gravel'y stuff, the Frogs rule. Bummed. In some of those threads citing "what's the best piece of cycling gear you've ever had", X's and Frog's were always near the top of my list. . .

eddief
03-07-2020, 05:06 PM
anybody home in there?

shinomaster
03-07-2020, 07:12 PM
This.

I tried this and it wasn't the same. I hated the Zeros.

Matthew
03-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Pretty sure I'm switching to Shimano soon. I may have 3 pair of X2 pedals available in the coming days if anyone is interested. All are used but still spin smooth and work nicely. Lots of miles on each but no issues. Not looking to gouge anyone either. Might be a few weeks or so though. Not going to put an ad in yet until I know the Shimano's are how I want to go. But no way I'm paying $100+ for cleats for the X2's. I will have a set of used cleats too. Not pristine but some miles left in them. PM and we can discuss. Thanks, Matthew

weiwentg
03-08-2020, 05:40 AM
I tried this and it wasn't the same. I hated the Zeros.

I tried this as well (the quote refers to just switching to the Zeroes and opening the float up all the way) and I was totally fine with it. But yes, it’s definitely not quite the same feeling. Pedals are clearly a very personal thing.

BobC
03-08-2020, 06:10 AM
I am going to take a "wait & see" if Wahoo officially announces whether it is discontinuing the X series.

If they do, then I am going to need to find another pedal system after 30 years. Like many I foresee finding replacement cleats/springs difficult & expensive.

8eh3iub
03-08-2020, 03:39 PM
The Wahoo dealer order forms dated 3 March 2020 list four Speedplay models:

Zero Cromo
Zero Stainless
Ultra Light Action Cromo
Zero Aero Stainless

The only cleats available to order are Zero Aero & ULA.

So at least for the near term: no X-series, Nano, Pave, Frog, Syzr, coloured bodies, or ti spindles.

one60
03-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Thanks for bring this to my attention, I'd been meaning to get some replacement cleats, so this thread spurred me into action before they become unobtanium...

oldpotatoe
03-09-2020, 06:04 AM
Thanks for bring this to my attention, I'd been meaning to get some replacement cleats, so this thread spurred me into action before they become unobtanium...

'Might' be that way already..a quickie search for X series cleats for sale yielded a lot of 'not in stock'..too bad..X series have worked for a lot of people for a lot of time.

wallymann
03-09-2020, 07:16 AM
someone in china is making complete pave/zero pedals + cleats...surely X setups are not far behind!

https://luckyretail.com/Uploadfile/201909232/294962/294962-2.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Just got this from a 'Wahoo Fitness Support" guy..asked him about getting a ZERO spring...
I'm glad you found the parts you needed! Regarding your question about some of our Speedplay models, there have been no announcements made as yet though definitely stay tuned. As Wahoo fully integrates Speedplay into our production and distribution there will be more updates available but I don't have anything beyond that to share with you currently.

For right above.."Speed Paly Zero road bike Peda"

Funny...

BobC
03-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Looks as though cleats will be available:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.v2cleat

wernerherzogsid
03-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Like the unexpected death of a loved one, the shock is a bucket of cold water to the face. Yet we must all come to terms throughout our existence with sudden loss.

That which we once considered a bedrock of not only our being, but all of existence, extinguished so quickly and ruthlessly, brings doubt about every other pillar of our worldview that keeps us from descending into madness.

Mourn as you must and take solace where you can.

Mark McM
03-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Looks as though cleats will be available:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.v2cleat

I don't know how you concluded from that web page that X series will continue to be available. The web page is for V.2 cleats, which I believe were introduced more than year ago, long before the sale to Wahoo.

torquer
03-09-2020, 11:53 AM
From the Speedplay document (emphasis added):
"Speedplay cleats for Zero, Ultra Light Action and X Series pedals are being updated to our new Speedplay V.2 Cleat. The new Speedplay V.2 Cleat is a running change to current Zero, Ultra Light Action, and X Cleats. The new V.2 Cleat will function with existing Zero, Ultra Light Action or X Series pedals. "

Sounds like cleats for X series pedals will remain available, even if the X series pedal model choices are reduced. But in my experience the pedals are close to bomb-proof, with plenty of rebuild parts available for any problem that a shot of grease won't solve.

David Benson
03-09-2020, 12:34 PM
I don't know how you concluded from that web page that X series will continue to be available. The web page is for V.2 cleats, which I believe were introduced more than year ago, long before the sale to Wahoo.

That webpage is very old news.
The V2 cleat was superseded by the Walkable Aero cleat circa 2015
There was a specific V2 cleat for Zero, Ultra Light Action and X series, with no cross compatibility. Same for the Walkable cleats.

Elefantino
03-09-2020, 06:28 PM
I grabbed the shop's last pair of new X V2 cleats.

I'm good for a while.

jmoore
03-10-2020, 09:01 AM
Like the unexpected death of a loved one, the shock is a bucket of cold water to the face. Yet we must all come to terms throughout our existence with sudden loss.

That which we once considered a bedrock of not only our being, but all of existence, extinguished so quickly and ruthlessly, brings doubt about every other pillar of our worldview that keeps us from descending into madness.

Mourn as you must and take solace where you can.

:chapeau:

lemondvictoire
03-10-2020, 06:25 PM
Went to 5 shops shopping for the cleats.. got a 3 yrs supply now.. though some are v1 not v2.. Doesn't really matter as I use the Kovers with the cleats and only the spring clips wear out..... May have to bring some beer so can maybe ask if I can look at some shop's parts bin if they have some spare spring clips if I want more.........:rolleyes:

A1A
03-11-2020, 05:51 AM
I'm jealous, up here in the boonies it would take me a week to drive to 5 shops alone much less 5 shops that sell Speedplay...

lemondvictoire
03-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Found 1 more set of V1 cleats seller took pic of back side of package (bottom pic)and listed as only Speedplay Pedal Systems NEW OLD STOCK NEW IN PACKAGE :)

Dave
03-12-2020, 05:21 PM
I'm hoping that a Chinese company starts making knock offs. The x model has been in production so long that a patent should no longer apply. I can make it through this season with no problem.

If no alternatives appear, I'll try zeros again. I couldn't get them to work with my custom D2 shoes in 2018.

BobC
03-12-2020, 05:55 PM
I have been in contact with Wahoo Support. This is what they told me yesterday ( there is hope):
-----------------------------------
Hi Bob,

After looking into this a little more on your behalf, I have discovered that we do not have any X-Cleats currently available. We are anticipating X-Cleats being available once again in late Spring. Please let me know if you have any additional questions/concerns.

Best regards,

John
-----------------------------------

wallymann
03-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Went to 5 shops shopping for the cleats.. got a 3 yrs supply now..

how many sets did you get?! i get 3-4 years from a set of X cleats.

A1A
03-12-2020, 08:31 PM
I just happened to check back on this thread and realized I hadn't checked Ebay for X cleats in a couple days. Typed in Speedplay X cleats, new listings and up popped a new, unopened set for $39.99 shipped priority mail. Almost fell out of my chair trying to log in and snatch them up quick before someone else stumbled on them. Sweet! So now I'm good to go for the summer since I only have one pair of good cycling shoes, old Carnac Quartz's that are indestructable.

thwart
03-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Switched over to Frogs almost 10 years ago, haven’t been using the X series since then... found these in my parts box.

PM me if you’re in need.

I’ve also got a couple other pair that have more use. I did not use café covers, so in spite of abraded plates the springs are probably still OK.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200313/a15bf6aa540c3b489eeb985f30264b60.jpg

lemondvictoire
03-13-2020, 06:28 PM
how many sets did you get?! i get 3-4 years from a set of X cleats.

Have 4 sets now and cleats on 2 pr of shoes are 1/2 worn.... I generally ride 8-10K a year.. use approx 1.5 sets a yr.. as shorter rides with lots of stop and go tend to wear them out quicker...:bike:

NYCfixie
04-01-2020, 09:46 AM
Called around to a few local shops and was able to purchase the last set of Frog cleats the store I use the most had in-stock. They also said they have been discontinued and have no idea of Wahoo will make them going forward. Also got a pair of Stainless Steel Frog pedals (and cleats) via Merlin a few weeks ago.

I hope these are not gone forever.

NYCfixie
04-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Response from Wahoo support:

"Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions. Following Speedplay's acquisition by Wahoo Fitness, there will be limited product availability while Speedplay is integrated into into our our own production and distribution. Over the next several months we will have more product availability updates, we appreciate your patience. There hasn't been any announcements yet regarding what products will be continued with or no longer produced. What I can share with you is that we should have some Frog cleats available to our retailers and distributors somewhere in the next 8-10 weeks. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions."

unterhausen
04-04-2020, 08:59 PM
I managed to wear out a set of X cleats when I was using them to ride gravel, but since I went over to SPD for that, my cleats are lasting quite some time. It sure seems like the spring is what wears out, but it's not available by itself.

Ryun
04-05-2020, 08:10 AM
The v2 springs seem to not hold up nearly as well as the older style. In over 20yrs, I never had a spring break but with the v2s I had them break at the bend of the spring. Concerns me as to how long I can hold out.
Ive been on the x series since the 90s and switching over the entire fleet would be daunting. Not to mention having to learn a new pedal

Ryun

RoosterCogset
04-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Isn't there some sort of legal requirement that a company can't discontinue replacement parts (for some period of time anyway) that are required for the continuing function of the primary product? New X-series pedals were being sold up until pretty recently, right?

djg21
04-05-2020, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping that a Chinese company starts making knock offs. The x model has been in production so long that a patent should no longer apply. I can make it through this season with no problem.

If no alternatives appear, I'll try zeros again. I couldn't get them to work with my custom D2 shoes in 2018.

What was the issue with you D2 shoes? They should work with the three-hole adapters. I used Speedplays for years with Don’s shoes. I preferred the Zeros to Xs because the metal retention clips in the cleats didn’t wear as quickly, and I prefer less float. But both work fine. You just cannot overtighten the screws holding the pedal to the shoe.

zero85ZEN
05-18-2020, 10:40 AM
All that is needed to keep all of us X series users going on our favorite pedal system is a future supply of the wire clips. That’s the only part that wears out if you properly maintain your pedals and use cleat covers.
If Wahoo stops producing cleats, we need to somehow find a way to source the wire clips.
Perhaps a group buy with a Chinese manufacturer to get production jump started?

BobC
06-02-2020, 03:53 PM
It is June already, so I checked the various bike retailer websites.

Nothing.

Anyone seen any updates?

RoosterCogset
06-02-2020, 05:43 PM
I think Wahoo really botched this acquisition. You can't even find a pack of the dustcap grease port things to buy. Forget about X series cleats.

Dave
06-02-2020, 06:12 PM
The Colorado cyclist website says they are able to order the cleats.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/speedplay-x-series-cleats

wallymann
06-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Yabbut can they *fulfill* the order?!

https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

djg21
06-02-2020, 06:19 PM
I think Wahoo really botched this acquisition. You can't even find a pack of the dustcap grease port things to buy. Forget about X series cleats.

My suspicion is that Wahoo could care less about the X series. It makes more sense, at least from Wahoo’s perspective, for Wahoo to limit the road pedal to the Zero series (which can function identically to the x-series depending in set up), and focus on the Speedplay pedal-based power meter.

muz
06-02-2020, 06:43 PM
My suspicion is that Wahoo could care less about the X series.

This may be true, but there is still a lot of money they are leaving on the table by not producing cleats (not to mention ill will). I am sure Chinese versions will be available for X series and Frogs if Wahoo doesn't get its act together.

makoti
06-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Can't add them to the cart, though

zero85ZEN
06-02-2020, 09:09 PM
I’ll again state what I posted earlier, the only thing needed to keep the cleats going for a VERY long time is replacement wire clips. If those can be sourced then a few pairs of cleats can be rebuilt almost infinitely if care is taken to keep them clean so that nothing else wears excessively.

makoti
06-02-2020, 09:19 PM
I’ll again state what I posted earlier, the only thing needed to keep the cleats going for a VERY long time is replacement wire clips. If those can be sourced then a few pairs of cleats can be rebuilt almost infinitely if care is taken to keep them clean so that nothing else wears excessively.

These work great for that, too

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-Speedplay-Cleats-separately/dp/B00DYYIOKM

muz
06-02-2020, 11:54 PM
Can't add them to the cart, though

Actually you can. Just go to your cart, they are there. It doesn't look like they charge your credit card though.

EDIT: Went through the steps, won't let you do the final "place order".

dannymd
06-03-2020, 04:10 AM
Yes, confirmed

makoti
06-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Yes, confirmed

What is?

Tony
06-03-2020, 11:50 AM

What does the wire clip look like? I could not find a picture of the clip alone.
Looking at it installed in the cleat looks like a stainless wire rod that I most likely could fabricate. What would one pay of these clips?

fjaws
06-03-2020, 01:20 PM
What does the wire clip look like?

See photo. The only part that ever breaks.

Tony
06-03-2020, 02:01 PM
See photo. The only part that ever breaks.

Thanks fjaws. I have seen several photos of the rod inside the cleat, need a picture of the wire rod outside of the cleat?

wallymann
06-03-2020, 02:10 PM
Thanks fjaws. I have seen several photos of the rod inside the cleat, need a picture of the wire rod outside of the cleat?

there are 2 of these, mirrored, in each cleat.

zero85ZEN
06-03-2020, 05:31 PM
What does the wire clip look like? I could not find a picture of the clip alone.
Looking at it installed in the cleat looks like a stainless wire rod that I most likely could fabricate. What would one pay of these clips?

I would pay $20 for a set of replacement clips. (A set meaning a full replacement to make a pair of worn out cleats, fully usable again.)
And I would buy a large quantity of sets. I’m sure there would be a fairly large market of dedicated X series users that would buy them as well.
I will look and see if I have extra worn out cleats and if I can find some clips I’ll send to you if you have the ability to fabricate.

Tony
06-03-2020, 06:46 PM
I would pay $20 for a set of replacement clips. (A set meaning a full replacement to make a pair of worn out cleats, fully usable again.)
And I would buy a large quantity of sets. I’m sure there would be a fairly large market of dedicated X series users that would buy them as well.
I will look and see if I have extra worn out cleats and if I can find some clips I’ll send to you if you have the ability to fabricate.

Appreciate it zero, interested in seeing what I can do.
PM coming your way.
Thanks!

2000m2
06-04-2020, 12:04 AM
Wow, glad I found this thread. I was just looking at adding another roadbike (old Litespeed!) and thinking about how I’d need another set of Speedplay pedals. Gonna need to think this through.

RoosterCogset
06-04-2020, 07:12 AM
It's now looking like Wahoo completely botched the transition in taking over Speedplay. Many things other than X series pedals and cleats are disappearing. Used to be able to find things like the 6-pack of dustcaps for the greaseport. Even the Zero pedals, checking a site like Excel, they're down to one stainless model and color (used to also offer other spindle length options). Or the rebuild kits.. Syzr and Frog models to be found anywhere?

makoti
06-04-2020, 08:13 AM

I'd pay that, too. Tony, if it happens, let us know.

djg21
06-04-2020, 08:18 AM
It's now looking like Wahoo completely botched the transition in taking over Speedplay. Many things other than X series pedals and cleats are disappearing. Used to be able to find things like the 6-pack of dustcaps for the greaseport. Even the Zero pedals, checking a site like Excel, they're down to one stainless model and color (used to also offer other spindle length options). Or the rebuild kits.. Syzr and Frog models to be found anywhere?

This presumes that Wahoo cares about the X-series, Frogs, or Szyrs. The X-series and Frogs are 30-year old technology (and the patents have now expired). The Szyrs never sold particularly well, and even Zeros have been around for 20 years now. While the Zeros are great pedals, Speedplay missed the boat when it stopped working with Metrigear to develop a pedal-based power meter and got scooped by Garmin, which ended up purchasing Metrigear and ultimately developed the Vectors.

To make Speedplay (more) profitable, Wahoo likely will reduce the number of SKUs it sells and come to market with a Zero-based power meter (and perhaps an updated Zero). There is no reason to continue with the X-series or to support them, as the Zeros are better pedals that are the functional equivalent. If Wahoo is concerned about preserving goodwill, it can discount the Zeros or allow trade-in’s for X-series users. But like I said, the X-series is dated technology, and it’s not uncommon for companies to stop supporting legacy products. You can’t blame Wahoo — it is a corporation that exists to maximize revenue for its investors, and not to incur losses to keep a relatively small number of cyclists who still use the X-series happy.

As to Szyrs, given that Shimano’s patents on SPD pedals have expired, there are now a large number of alternatives in the MTB pedal market, and it may not make sense for Wahoo to continue offering an MTB pedal unless it can come up with a substantial innovation, or perhaps a pedal based power- meter much less expensive that the SPD model offered by SRM.

I’ve ridden on Speedplay since 1991. I started with the X-series when Speedplay was just getting going, and then switched to Zeros in 2000. I rode Frogs for a while, but disliked them and went back to SPD. I recently gave up my Zeros to switch to Garmin Vector 3 pedals. When Wahoo comes to market with a Speedplay-based power meter, I’ll be all in. I had hoped that we’d see a Speedplay power meter by Eurobike in November, and maybe in the TDF. All bets are off now.

If someone is going to manufacture rebuild kits for X-series pedals, they should have significant insurance coverage. This could create significant liability for both Wahoo/Speedplay and the rebuild kit manufacturer.

RoosterCogset
06-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Though isn't there at least some sort of legal obligation of a company to offer replacement parts (wear items) for some period of time for an item that was being sold as new only a few months ago (eg. cleats)?

We have to wait and see I suppose, what Wahoo intends (and why they bothered to buy Speedplay in the first place). Not sure it was expected that they'd just cut their lineup in half and call it a day. Would be interesting if they came out with a powermetered SP type of pedal for example

djg21
06-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Though isn't there at least some sort of legal obligation of a company to offer replacement parts (wear items) for some period of time for an item that was being sold as new only a few months ago (eg. cleats)?

There may be an obligation to make replacement/repair parts available to the extent that a consumer product remains subject to an express or implied warranty.

Mark McM
06-04-2020, 10:12 AM
This presumes that Wahoo cares about the X-series, Frogs, or Szyrs. The X-series and Frogs are 30-year old technology (and the patents have now expired). The Szyrs never sold particularly well, and even Zeros have been around for 20 years now. While the Zeros are great pedals, Speedplay missed the boat when it stopped working with Metrigear to develop a pedal-based power meter and got scooped by Garmin, which ended up purchasing Metrigear and ultimately developed the Vectors.

To make Speedplay (more) profitable, Wahoo likely will reduce the number of SKUs it sells and come to market with a Zero-based power meter (and perhaps an updated Zero). There is no reason to continue with the X-series or to support them, as the Zeros are better pedals that are the functional equivalent. If Wahoo is concerned about preserving goodwill, it can discount the Zeros or allow trade-in’s for X-series users. But like I said, the X-series is dated technology, and it’s not uncommon for companies to stop supporting legacy products. You can’t blame Wahoo — it is a corporation that exists to maximize revenue for its investors, and not to incur losses to keep a relatively small number of cyclists who still use the X-series happy.

As to Szyrs, given that Shimano’s patents on SPD pedals have expired, there are now a large number of alternatives in the MTB pedal market, and it may not make sense for Wahoo to continue offering an MTB pedal unless it can come up with a substantial innovation, or perhaps a pedal based power- meter much less expensive that the SPD model offered by SRM.

I’ve ridden on Speedplay since 1991. I started with the X-series when Speedplay was just getting going, and then switched to Zeros in 2000. I rode Frogs for a while, but disliked them and went back to SPD. I recently gave up my Zeros to switch to Garmin Vector 3 pedals. When Wahoo comes to market with a Speedplay-based power meter, I’ll be all in. I had hoped that we’d see a Speedplay power meter by Eurobike in November, and maybe in the TDF. All bets are off now.

If someone is going to manufacture rebuild kits for X-series pedals, they should have significant insurance coverage. This could create significant liability for both Wahoo/Speedplay and the rebuild kit manufacturer.

While some of what you say is true, I can't agree with most of it. The main issue now isn't that Speedplay may be discontinuing some of its older products; what has happened is that the supply chain for all Speedplay products has recently dried up. It is generally not a good business practice to buy a company, and then essentially put a halt to its output, if it plans to continue in its field of business.

As far as X series pedals being "old technology": While the basic principle of the X series pedals hasn't changed in 30 years, the design of the X pedals and cleats has been continuously improved over the years. Today's X-series pedals are a far cry from the original model from the '90s. And what's wrong with proven technology, anyway? Look pedals are still a strong market player, and their design concept is even older than the X-series. There are other bicycle technologies that are far older than Speedplay pedals; I mean, why are we still using roller chains and round chainrings? Aren't those technologies so 19th century?

I also disagree that the Zero pedals are an improvement in every way of the X-series. The X-series are easier to get into and out of, have more float, and are also lighter than Zero pedals. Zero pedals are more adjustable than X-series, but that leads to compromises: The X-series can't do everything that the Zero pedals can, but the things it does do, it does better.

djg21
06-04-2020, 12:16 PM
While some of what you say is true, I can't agree with most of it. The main issue now isn't that Speedplay may be discontinuing some of its older products; what has happened is that the supply chain for all Speedplay products has recently dried up. It is generally not a good business practice to buy a company, and then essentially put a halt to its output, if it plans to continue in its field of business.

As far as X series pedals being "old technology": While the basic principle of the X series pedals hasn't changed in 30 years, the design of the X pedals and cleats has been continuously improved over the years. Today's X-series pedals are a far cry from the original model from the '90s. And what's wrong with proven technology, anyway? Look pedals are still a strong market player, and their design concept is even older than the X-series. There are other bicycle technologies that are far older than Speedplay pedals; I mean, why are we still using roller chains and round chainrings? Aren't those technologies so 19th century?

I also disagree that the Zero pedals are an improvement in every way of the X-series. The X-series are easier to get into and out of, have more float, and are also lighter than Zero pedals. Zero pedals are more adjustable than X-series, but that leads to compromises: The X-series can't do everything that the Zero pedals can, but the things it does do, it does better.

Reasonable minds may differ. That’s why forums like this exist.

The question is why has the supply chain dried up? The distribution channels existed before Speedplay was purchased by Wahoo and I have to think that the disruption is being caused by something else, i.e., a lack of supply. But neither of us have concrete information and we both speculate. We just will have to wait to see what Wahoo has in mind, and if the distribution or supply issues are resolved, and if so how. As to improvements in Speedplay pedals over the years, the cleats certainly have improved. I’m not sure how much the pedals themselves changed. Richard Bryne (who still is with Wahoo/Speedplay in a consultant role) has been pretty savvy and aggressive with his intellectual property. My suspicion is that the cleats were improved to obtain new patents, as the patents on the pedals themselves were expiring. Granted, I haven’t searched and don’t know what Speedplay’s patent portfolio looks like. It will be interesting to see what Wahoo/Speedplay comes up with. Like I said, I’m in in a split second if a Speedplay-based PM is introduced.

RoosterCogset
06-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Here's the place you can ask, fyi:

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000422279

Elefantino
06-06-2020, 07:32 AM
What the market will bear?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedplay-X-Series-V-2-Cleats/283901175790?epid=2254319965&hash=item4219d427ee:g:jbAAAOSw5ztez9xX

Plum Hill
06-15-2020, 01:46 PM
On Saturday I stopped by the LBS to order a set of Ultra Light Action pedals with +1/8” stainless spindles.
Just got a call from the shop.
ULAs now available in only chromoly standard length spindles.
Speedplay drastically cut back offerings across the board.
Can’t see switching to Zeros due to compatibility issues with other ULA-equipped bikes.
Curious if all manufacturing will be moved to China.

djg21
06-15-2020, 01:59 PM
This has not been discussed in this thread. But in my experience, Zero cleats always lasted a lot longer that X-series cleats. The retention clips in the Zero cleats are flat. In the X-series they are round. I always wore flat spots on the outside edges of the X-series clips, and this would result in my feet feeling loose and rocking on the pedals. I would feel like my feet weren’t flat on the pedals, and the outsides of my feet were lower (they were). This never happened with Zero cleats, and so long as I used kool covers to protect the aluminum surface of the Zero cleats and kept them clean and lubed, they’d work flawlessly.

cmbicycles
06-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Wahoo recently emailed me back that X series pedals/cleats should be back in stock in 4-6 weeks.

RoosterCogset
06-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Wahoo recently emailed me back that X series pedals/cleats should be back in stock in 4-6 weeks.

Well.. they've shorted the anticipated time to availability in their emails anyway.. I was told 8 weeks (but that was back in Mid-March :confused:)..

Mark McM
06-16-2020, 04:10 PM

So ... the X series pedals are in fact not being discontinued, as has been widely reported? Any word on whether the both the X/1 (Ti) and the X/2 (Stainless Steel) will be available?

bfd
06-16-2020, 04:29 PM
What about the Frogs? Will at least cleats be available? I have one brand new set of cleats and a NOS set of stainless steel pedals. Hmm, if people are still getting $250+ for the pedals, maybe I should sell them...LOL

zero85ZEN
06-17-2020, 03:19 PM
My buddy that works at a LBS texted me today to tell me X-series cleats are in. So they received new stock. Just one isolated data point I know, but thought I’d share.

cmbicycles
06-17-2020, 03:48 PM
So ... the X series pedals are in fact not being discontinued, as has been widely reported? Any word on whether the both the X/1 (Ti) and the X/2 (Stainless Steel) will be available?I asked about what their future plans were with them, and they "couldn't say" what their future plans were, but seems for now they are still in the product lineup. You can email them and ask, as the more feedback they receive the more they have to act on. At 195# I'm not an X1 candidate so if the X2 sticks around that is good enough for me.

RoosterCogset
06-17-2020, 05:11 PM
So ... the X series pedals are in fact not being discontinued, as has been widely reported? Any word on whether the both the X/1 (Ti) and the X/2 (Stainless Steel) will be available?

sorry, I could have been more explicit. My timing/email was specific to a cleats query, not pedals. I'd be surprised if they bring back the pedals into the lineup, but as a matter of principle, they should continue to provide the consumable cleat half of the equation for at least a year or so (IMO).

2000m2
06-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Happy to read that these aren't being discontinued as I need some pedals for a newly acquired road bike.

Any idea why are these $750?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Speedplay-X2-Stainless-Steel-Pedals-Road-Bike-Cycling-In-Box-With-Cleats/124218104897?hash=item1cebf9dc41:g:XqAAAOSwAqhd1Sk G:sc:USPSFirstClass!94070!US!-1

oldpotatoe
06-26-2020, 06:20 AM
Happy to read that these aren't being discontinued as I need some pedals for a newly acquired road bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Speedplay-X2-Stainless-Steel-Pedals-Road-Bike-Cycling-In-Box-With-Cleats/124218104897?hash=item1cebf9dc41:g:XqAAAOSwAqhd1Sk G:sc:USPSFirstClass!94070!US!-1

This guy it nutz..look at some others..Cleats for $199...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/uventure/m.html?item=124218104897&hash=item1cebf9dc41%3Ag%3AXqAAAOSwAqhd1SkG%3Asc%3A USPSFirstClass%2194070%21US%21-1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Elefantino
06-26-2020, 06:50 AM

Those have the Vibranium spindles.

2000m2
06-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Those have the Vibranium spindles.

Right next to Unobtanium on the periodic table of elements?

BobC
08-07-2020, 05:50 AM
Just checked excelsports. Nothing. No X pedals, no x cleats.

Argh

RoosterCogset
08-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Just checked excelsports. Nothing. No X pedals, no x cleats.

Argh

Something has fallen through the cracks on this one. In mid March I was told that they would be back and available in 6-8 weeks. In early June in a followup, I was told that they were near to being available but they couldn't be precise.. And now it's another 2 months later.

Mark McM
08-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Something has fallen through the cracks on this one. In mid March I was told that they would be back and available in 6-8 weeks. In early June in a followup, I was told that they were near to being available but they couldn't be precise.. And now it's another 2 months later.

In addition to the lack of X-series pedals cleats, there has also been a shortage of Zero series pedals and cleats, plus the disappearance of of a variety of accessories, such sole protector plates, extender plates, and other spare parts. From the outside looking in, it seems as if there hasn't been any production of Speedplay products for 1/2 a year or more, and they've simply been selling existing stocks.

If I were to guess, I'd guess that Wahoo (the new owners) decided to change manufacturing from US based (as it was under original ownership) and send it off-shore (as Wahoo's other products are), but that something has gone wrong in the transition. The current pandemic certainly can't help with such an effort, but based on how long it's been since the problems began becoming visible, it would appear that something got botched even before then.

When Wahoo bought Speedplay, a lot of people were guessing that they intended to produce a power meter pedal. But based on their performance in the last 10 months of owning Speedplay, I'm not only doubting we'll see a power meter pedal anytime soon, but I'm wondering if we'll see any pedal products being produced.

jpw
08-08-2020, 02:04 AM
That's the problem, I have probably 8 pair of X2's which translates to probabably $1,500 in buying 8 pair of Zero's... A windfall for Wahoo if everyone has to do that. Maybe that was part of their strategy when they bought the company...

This. Typical 'capture' model.

RoosterCogset
08-08-2020, 03:24 PM
If I were to guess, I'd guess that Wahoo (the new owners) decided to change manufacturing from US based (as it was under original ownership) and send it off-shore (as Wahoo's other products are), but that something has gone wrong in the transition. The current pandemic certainly can't help with such an effort, but based on how long it's been since the problems began becoming visible, it would appear that something got botched even before then.

My first communication from them actually said that delays were occurring while they 'integrated Speedplay into their own production and distribution.." So yeah, it's quite seemingly a supply chain fiasco.

BobC
09-17-2020, 05:41 AM
Update:

Just checked excel sports

Both Frog & X2 cleats are listed (but not in stock yet)
- Frogs are listed to be in stock 10/16
- X2 are listed to be in stock 9/15 (oooooops)

The pedals are not listed.

Nothing on CompCyc.

I guess you can call that progress?

RoosterCogset
09-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Update:

Just checked excel sports

- Frogs are listed to be in stock 10/16
- X2 are listed to be in stock 9/15 (oooooops)

The pedals are not listed.

Nothing on CompCyc.

I guess you can call that progress?

FYI, they were back in stock a couple weeks ago or so. Apparently they're out of stock again already.

Bob Ross
09-17-2020, 09:47 AM

FYI, they were back in stock a couple weeks ago or so. Apparently they're out of stock again already.

What happens if you try to order them when they're "out of stock", will the Excel site not let you complete the transaction, or is there a way to order in advance so you're in their queue [sic]?

RoosterCogset
09-17-2020, 09:57 AM
What happens if you try to order them when they're "out of stock", will the Excel site not let you complete the transaction, or is there a way to order in advance so you're in their queue [sic]?

Haven't tried this to be positive, but it says (for X cleats anyway) once added to cart:
"Out of Stock items will be charged to your card when the order is placed. We will ship out of stock product when it arrives."

Of course you don't know how long the queue is, but I'm guessing it's easy to cancel the order at any time before product ships.

BobC
09-17-2020, 10:30 AM
I did this a while back. After a couple weeks I received an email from Excel refunding my money telling me that cleat order had been cancelled.

Dave
10-17-2020, 11:36 AM
I actually found someone selling X cleats for $55 a pair and bought four, so I now have enough to last maybe for the life of my X pedals, that also no longer seem to be made. The cleats arrived today - new and genuine.

RoosterCogset
10-17-2020, 11:43 AM
I actually found someone selling X cleats for $55 a pair and bought four, so I now have enough to last maybe for the life of my X pedals, that also no longer seem to be made. The cleats arrived today - new and genuine.
It turns out that Excel has the x-series cleats back in stock and they're only $40. Oh well.

Dave
10-17-2020, 02:22 PM
It turns out that Excel has the x-series cleats back in stock and they're only $40. Oh well.

And I checked their website, before ordering. It now says out of stock.

BobC
12-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Still nothing.

Wahoo has royally screwed the pooch here.

At least get the cleats back on the market for all the folks who still have X2.

<extremely frustrated explicative deleted>

djg21
12-03-2020, 09:08 AM
I so much want to dump the Garmin Vector 3s and go back to Speedplay Zeros with a power meter. I figured Wahoo would have jumped on that opportunity before the market got too saturated with other pedal-based power meters. I wonder now if it’s too late and there no longer would be a return for Wahoo if it were to enter the market. Speedplay screwed the pooch years ago when it didn’t work with Metrigear, and allowed Garmin to scoop that company’s technology.

makoti
12-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Still nothing.

Wahoo has royally screwed the pooch here.

At least get the cleats back on the market for all the folks who still have X2.

<extremely frustrated explicative deleted>

I just bought x2 cleats from Excel. In stock as of two days ago

Mark McM
12-03-2020, 03:26 PM

In stock here, too:

https://www.brandscycle.com/product/speedplay-x-series-snap-shim-cleats-7555.htm

BobC
12-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Checked yesterday. Out of stock. Checked again just now. Out of stock.

makoti
12-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Checked yesterday. Out of stock. Checked again just now. Out of stock.

unterhausen
12-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Speedplay used to have ridiculous order minimums just to get cleats, so they weren't available here in town anyway. Has Wahoo changed that at all?

BobC
12-08-2020, 04:14 PM

Worked like a charm! The cleats are back in stock & I ordered 3 sets.

Thanks!

DRZRM
12-09-2020, 12:38 AM
I just grabbed several pair from Excel to restock my stash. I had picked up 2 pair of the Lake 401 shoes with the Speedplay specific four hole drill pattern for a song several years ago, and I had been worried I'd wind up with shoes (plus a spare) that only fit an obsolete cleat. Thanks for the tip.

berserk87
12-09-2020, 11:37 AM
This is a handy thread. Just ordered a couple of more sets. Thanks folks.

muz
12-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Here's to hoping Frog cleats will come back too!

Bob Ross
12-29-2020, 11:30 AM
Here's to hoping Frog cleats will come back too!

Sorry to dash your hopes (and mine, believe me!) but I just today got this official reply to my query on the Wahoo Support site:

"Wahoo is not moving forward with the Frog pedal line. We are out of stock of all pedals and cleats and there are no current plans to replenish the stock. ...[snip]... We are not currently offering a pedal for the mountain bike/gravel market."

:::angryface:::

RoosterCogset
12-29-2020, 11:42 AM
Opportunity to reply back and ask what, if any, plans Wahoo does have for anything new since they decided to buy a pedal company and have only so far, discontinued various lines.

bfd
12-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Opportunity to reply back and ask what, if any, plans Wahoo does have for anything new since they decided to buy a pedal company and have only so far, discontinued various lines.

As a Frog user, this is very disappointing. So they can't make any money selling cleats at $40+/pair?! That just seems ridiculous.

I wonder if a Chinese company could make the cleats for the Frog and probably X pedals and sell them?! I wonder if this lousy company would be willing to give up their patent on the cleats?!

I have two pairs of Frog cleats left. After that, I'll be looking to go with spds or something. So sad....

thwart
12-29-2020, 03:07 PM
As a Frog user, this is very disappointing. So they can't make any money selling cleats at $40+/pair?! That just seems ridiculous.

I wonder if a Chinese company could make the cleats for the Frog and probably X pedals and sell them?! I wonder if this lousy company would be willing to give up their patent on the cleats?!

Have to believe that someone will convince Wahoo to do so and then will produce these consumables... as I think there’s a fairly decent-sized market of Frog users out there.

charliedid
12-29-2020, 03:15 PM
Do enough people (with all due respect) ride Frogs to make it worth while?

Also, they are fairly complicated cleat design that are finicky and need to be pretty perfect to work well.

I feel bad for those of you who they work best for. Find someone to 3D print the parts and find a Chinese manufacturer willing but I don't think the minimums are in anyones favor.

Shame.

muz
12-29-2020, 03:27 PM
I would like to believe that there is enough of a market for a Chinese knock-off cleat. How many cleats would it take to make it worthwhile at $50? Can they be CNC machined?

charliedid
12-29-2020, 03:39 PM
I would like to believe that there is enough of a market for a Chinese knock-off cleat. How many cleats would it take to make it worthwhile at $50? Can they be CNC machined?

Maybe but the Wahoo folks didn't discontinue them because they were robust sellers.

muz
12-29-2020, 03:55 PM
Maybe but the Wahoo folks didn't discontinue them because they were robust sellers.

True, but a company like Wahoo and a small Chinese shop have very different business models. Margin and market size mean little to a small shop (exhibit A: after market Ti spindles).

Also, Wahoo presumably bought Speedplay in order to make pedal based power meters. They seem to have little interest in taking care of existing Speedplay users.

RoosterCogset
12-29-2020, 04:08 PM

I have two pairs of Frog cleats left. After that, I'll be looking to go with spds or something. So sad....

I have to imagine patent protection is long expired. The X's were patented in 1989, the Frogs in 1992.

Mark McM
12-29-2020, 04:16 PM
True, but a company like Wahoo and a small Chinese shop have very different business models. Margin and market size mean little to a small shop (exhibit A: after market Ti spindles).

There are a number of sellers on ebay selling knock-off Zero cleats. But Zero pedals outsold X series pedals by a large margin, and the market for X Series cleats is probably quite small - and without X Series pedals being produced any more, the market is just getting smaller.

Also, Wahoo presumably bought Speedplay in order to make pedal based power meters. They seem to have little interest in taking care of existing Speedplay users.

This is probably true. And one has to wonder if Wahoo bought Speedplay for the brand name, rather than the intellectual properlty.

The original owner of Speedplay, Richard Bryne, was very good about supporting his products. They sold more service parts than other pedal companies, and continued service on their products for much longer than others. For example, their first products, the X-series pedals and cleats, went through several design upgrades during their 35 year run. And yet, the latest cleats are still 100% compatible with their pedals from 35 years ago. Many people probably don't remember their first MTB pedal, the Magnum. These had some teething problems, which were mostly addressed a couple of years later when the Frog pedals came out. But rather than leaving the original Magnum users out in the cold, Speedplay produced a Magnum-to-Frog conversion kit, which converted Magnum pedals to Frog pedals at a fraction of the cost of buying new Frog pedals. Richard Bryne seemed to actually care about supporting his customers - I'll bet he's feeling some regret about sellng Speedplay to a company that appears to have no interest in Bryne's customers.

Mark McM
12-29-2020, 04:56 PM
I have to imagine patent protection is long expired. The X's were patented in 1989, the Frogs in 1992.

A brief and not very thorough on-line patent search appears to indicate that the latest Speedplay patent related to the X series cleats is from 1997, so it is should now be expired. Likewise, the latest Speedplay patent related to the Frog appears to be from 1994. The unexpired patents cover more recent pedals, including Syzyr pedals, Zero pedals/cleats, walkable cleats, Aero pedals/cleats, etc.

thwart
12-30-2020, 09:16 AM
The original owner of Speedplay, Richard Bryne, was very good about supporting his products. They sold more service parts than other pedal companies, and continued service on their products for much longer than others. For example, their first products, the X-series pedals and cleats, went through several design upgrades during their 35 year run. And yet, the latest cleats are still 100% compatible with their pedals from 35 years ago. Many people probably don't remember their first MTB pedal, the Magnum. These had some teething problems, which were mostly addressed a couple of years later when the Frog pedals came out. But rather than leaving the original Magnum users out in the cold, Speedplay produced a Magnum-to-Frog conversion kit, which converted Magnum pedals to Frog pedals at a fraction of the cost of buying new Frog pedals. Richard Bryne seemed to actually care about supporting his customers - I'll bet he's feeling some regret about sellng Speedplay to a company that appears to have no interest in Bryne's customers.

Seems sort of quaint to actually try to take care of your customer base in that way. So... 20th century... ;)

Not that they care in the least, but I have a new (dis)regard for Wahoo as a result of their production decision.

For Frog users like myself, it is reassuring to know that the patents have expired. Since there clearly is a market for the replacement cleats, likely someone will address it...

RoosterCogset
12-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Seems sort of quaint to actually try to take care of your customer base in that way. So... 20th century... ;)

Not that they care in the least, but I have a new (dis)regard for Wahoo as a result of their production decision.

For Frog users like myself, it is reassuring to know that the patents have expired. Since there clearly is a market for the replacement cleats, likely someone will address it...

Very unlikely, but would like to see a mainstream mid-tier bike component manufacturer take a stab at some of these wahoo-discontinued products -- for example someone like Cane Creek (who'd have some manufacturing experience and supply chain knowhow). Rather than generic no-name brands being sold only thru Ebay.

BobC
01-19-2021, 02:47 PM
Teammate just talked to Excel and was told that they did not know if they would get any more cleats in.

The X2 cleats are no longer even listed on the website.

I wish that Wahoo would just openly communicate what the plan is, even if the plan is "we don't know yet."

Argh.

muttley
01-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Really sad news. I'm glad a picked up an extra set of cleats last year, just don't know what I'll do when my pedals/cleats wear out. I've been riding X2's so long, can't see myself going to anything else, even the Zeros.

muz
01-19-2021, 03:07 PM
We may be nearing peak unavailability for Frog cleats. People are paying $100 for a pair of used cleats (https://www.ebay.com/itm/293952255927) that seem to be all used up, or $150 for just the base plates (https://www.ebay.com/itm/124415563896). Another guy is asking (https://www.ebay.com/itm/114632898838) $33 for a *single* used cleat.

If these examples don't convince a garage shop to make a copy, I don't know what will.

batman1425
01-19-2021, 04:25 PM
Pretty sure the plan is no x series moving forward. Zero and light action only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MXLeader
01-19-2021, 06:22 PM
I wish that Wahoo would just openly communicate what the plan is, even if the plan is "we don't know yet."

and

Pretty sure the plan is no x series moving forward. Zero and light action only.

I loved riding Speedplay x2's for 20 years. I just finished selling off 3 sets of pedals in varying conditions and 4 sets of cleats (2 used and 2 new)... Wahoo's "we don't know yet" just changed to my "I don't care anymore".

This is the first time that Wahoo has disappointed me. They were great standing by and servicing the first generation Kickr for me and I feel their bike computers are very user friendly with the OTA updates and excellent user interfaces.

charliedid
01-19-2021, 06:25 PM
I wonder if Wahoo is designing their own similar pedal and just bought Speedplay for intellectual property?

Or is that silly?

MXLeader
01-19-2021, 07:51 PM
I wonder if Wahoo is designing their own similar pedal and just bought Speedplay for intellectual property?

Or is that silly?

Not silly, but Wahoo seems much more into the computerized/electronics side of the business vice the pure mechanical side of cycling. As said earlier in the thread, it would make sense for them to come out with a pedal-based power meter.

djg21
01-19-2021, 08:38 PM
Not silly, but Wahoo seems much more into the computerized/electronics side of the business vice the pure mechanical side of cycling. As said earlier in the thread, it would make sense for them to come out with a pedal-based power meter.

It did make sense a couple years back. I wonder if it still does with the power meter market becoming saturated and prices dropping fairly significantly. I’d really love to go back to Speedplay Zeros with a PM capability, but given development costs and perhaps the need to license patents now owned by Garmin (haven’t done a patent search, but the Vector initially was designed by Metrigear for Speedplay pedals. https://nyvelocity.com/equipment-2/metrigear-vector/), I wonder if Wahoo remains interested or if it would be cost effective.

charliedid
01-19-2021, 08:50 PM

It did make sense a couple years back. I wonder if it still does with the power meter market becoming saturated and prices dropping fairly significantly. I’d really love to go back to Speedplay Zeros with a PM capability, but given development costs and perhaps the need to license patents now owned by Garmin (haven’t done a patent search, but the Vector initially was designed by Metrigear for Speedplay pedals. https://nyvelocity.com/equipment-2/metrigear-vector/), I wonder if Wahoo remains interested or if it would be cost effective.

Right now I recall the power convo.

Thanks for thoughts.

I keep thinking of trying Zeros as it's been 25 years since riding Speedplay. I feel I might like them.

Nessism
07-11-2021, 04:01 PM
Sorry to bump an older thread like this but looking for feedback on whether anyone has been able to locate any knock-off X2 cleats? Any info relative to Wahoo supporting these older products moving forward appreciated as well.

unterhausen
07-11-2021, 04:19 PM
I vaguely recall you can use zero cleats on X series pedals.

Wahoo is pretty typical electronics company. Ship stuff that isn't ready and drop support after they get tired of the product. If the electronics go on your first generation Kicker, they offer you a small discount on the new one, even though the electronics are very similar.

cmbicycles
07-11-2021, 04:29 PM

Wahoo is pretty typical electronics company. Ship stuff that isn't ready and drop support after they get tired of the product. If the electronics go on your first generation Kicker, they offer you a small discount on the new one, even though the electronics are very similar.

No, the cleats aren't compatible between X and Zero. The light action and zero can probably be interchanged, as the cleats and springs are quite similar (no adjustment for float on LA) but it wouldn't be light action anymore as the springs are stiffer on Zeros.

No argument on their business model, lol.

makoti
07-11-2021, 06:02 PM

Yeah, this isn't right sadly. Completely different cleats. You can't even use the cleat covers on them interchangeably.

Mark McM
07-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Yeah, this isn't right sadly. Completely different cleats. You can't even use the cleat covers on them interchangeably.

The middle adapter plate (that converts from 3 hole curved sole to 4 hole flat cleat) is the same between X and Zero cleats, but that's where the interchangeability ends.

corkycalvin
07-11-2021, 07:34 PM
Sorry to bump an older thread like this but looking for feedback on whether anyone has been able to locate any knock-off X2 cleats? Any info relative to Wahoo supporting these older products moving forward appreciated as well.

Like with any discontinued items, check eBay for New old stock. I’ve notice prices for older cleats has shot up.

makoti
07-11-2021, 07:50 PM
Like with any discontinued items, check eBay for New old stock. I’ve notice prices for older cleats has shot up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114282526915?hash=item1a9bc4f8c3:g:zt8AAOSwX61ZBQk 2

$200?? And they've sold 111?

corkycalvin
07-11-2021, 09:25 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114282526915?hash=item1a9bc4f8c3:g:zt8AAOSwX61ZBQk 2

$200?? And they've sold 111?

Supply and demand, Econ 101