PDA

View Full Version : Team Ineos suspends racing; Strade Bianche cancelled

RobJ
03-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Wow the Spring classics are falling apart. Team Ineos is suspending operations until March 23rd over the death of Portal and the virus threat. Mitchelton Scott the same it appears. Strade Bianche was just cancelled. The health of all involved is first and foremost, but just an unfortunate turn of events.

Mark McM
03-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Putting my cynics hat on, I suspect the reason that so many teams are withdrawing from races has less to do with concern for health, but concern that the team might end up getting quarantined for weeks (as what has happened in UAE). But, without a vaccine, that's the strongest tool governments have to stop the spread of the disease, so that's the hammer that the governments have to wield.

glepore
03-05-2020, 10:05 AM
Putting my cynics hat on, I suspect the reason that so many teams are withdrawing from races has less to do with concern for health, but concern that the team might end up getting quarantined for weeks (as what has happened in UAE). But, without a vaccine, that's the strongest tool governments have to stop the spread of the disease, so that's the hammer that the governments have to wield.

Agreed. I passed on a free trip to Japan not because of fear of illness but fear of getting caught up in a quarantine.

Shoeman
03-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Doesn't bode well for the upcoming racing season. Classics, Giro, TDF etc. lots of spectators/teams traveling to & fro not good!!!!

glepore
03-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Not just cycling, all sports. F1 has announced that if italian teams can't travel, no racing. Moto gp cancelled season opener. Etc.

Macadamia
03-05-2020, 09:49 PM
I wonder if maybe the classics could be rescheduled for fall? Feel bad for everyone that booked trips to go see them/ride the fondo

nalax
03-06-2020, 11:18 AM
At least we can replay Benoot from 2018. A great race.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/8eGZRNQPNz7DP6VwkhfnxV-970-80.jpg