PDA

View Full Version : Did Velonews switch to GravelNews?

KJMUNC
03-04-2020, 03:27 PM
Real question......I thought the home page was toggled to a gravel section or something. Seems like they are fully embracing the gravel thing as their homepage has been dominated by all things gravel for the last week.

Nothing wrong with that, just an interesting pivot. Guess they've conceded cyclingnews owns pro cycling content so they're going after the growth side of the sport.

Buzz
03-04-2020, 04:46 PM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. But I doubt gravel racing ever gain any traction so to speak with the general public outside of the participants. I’ve watched some things online. Meh. Just not that interesting to watch.

I like riding my mountain bike, doing triathlons, but have little interest in following stories or watching races on tv.

Pro road racing however is entirely in its own league.

Feels like gravel bikes are getting close to reaching their peak at least in my neck of the woods. I have a friend that fully got into it and after a year or so has mined all things gravel and is returning more to the road these days.

I find myself not clicking on velonews as much because there is so little pro coverage and as I noted above the gravel thing isn’t all that interesting. FWIW.

Mikej
03-04-2020, 05:27 PM
The reason rim brake frame resale has crashed is because gravel disc 34’s - duh

Waldo62
03-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Given the quality of pavement these days, all roads are gravel or worse already.

tv_vt
03-04-2020, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I thought that too. I think, though, the recent issue was the 'gravel' issue, like the 'spring classics' issue, etc., so it was pretty narrow focused.
But it is getting a bit much with them. I have to wonder if it's ad-driven somewhat. They gush about gravel s--t because that's what their advertisers want to sell, or think will sell. The road bike market is probably saturated, and they need a new angle to attract new customers: e-bikes and gravel bikes...

peanutgallery
03-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Being that gravel is so new, the site seems like a giant PR campaign to imbibe a bunch of random events with a sense of history and buzz. Payola from a bunch of promoters taking a break from organizing color runs...or so it seems

Matthew
03-04-2020, 07:21 PM
I thought everything cycling had already turned to gravel exclusively.

Spdntrxi
03-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Given the quality of pavement these days, all roads are gravel or worse already.

^^^ this ^^^

Clancy
03-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Real question......I thought the home page was toggled to a gravel section or something. Seems like they are fully embracing the gravel thing as their homepage has been dominated by all things gravel for the last week.

Nothing wrong with that, just an interesting pivot. Guess they've conceded cyclingnews owns pro cycling content so they're going after the growth side of the sport.

Although this looks like a series of feature articles that they’ve planned for awhile, there are not any other races or events to report on, all been canceled. They have been reporting on that.

I would think if the races/events were still going on we’d see a different website appearance with the gravel stuff still prominent. I’ve been enjoying the content.

Peter P.
03-05-2020, 06:19 AM
Gotta print whatever sells.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2020, 06:34 AM
The reason rim brake frame resale has crashed is because gravel disc 34’s - duh

Not exactly. 'Seems' like gravel, gravel everywhere but the real trend and largest segment is road disc...I know there is a lot of overlap-road disc and "GRoad" bike but the majority of bikes sold these days are still 'road' oriented, just disc, disc, everywhere..

Roads around the republic are really excellent..YMMV and all that.

bigbill
03-05-2020, 06:51 AM
I found myself doing more gravel riding because the roads were becoming crowded with too many distracted drivers. I've yet to have a driver try to squeeze by me on a gravel road.

peanutgallery
03-05-2020, 07:31 AM
My experience has been that on the dirt the same bro dozer that would probably run you off the pavement deliberately slows down, gives you room and even a country wave. Not uncommon for someone to roll down a window and exchange greetings, etc as you climb. Maybe they need a break from the rat race of pavement, too

I found myself doing more gravel riding because the roads were becoming crowded with too many distracted drivers. I've yet to have a driver try to squeeze by me on a gravel road.

Hakkalugi
03-05-2020, 08:02 AM

I have had many close calls, our gravel roads are often used as end-runs around traffic congestion. Typically a poser in a duallie that’s never towed a trailer or hauled a major load, just one that makes him look like his ranch is bigger than 1.5 acres.

Velocipede
03-05-2020, 08:05 AM
I have had many close calls, our gravel roads are often used as end-runs around traffic congestion. Typically a poser in a duallie that’s never towed a trailer or hauled a major load, just one that makes him look like his ranch is bigger than 1.5 acres.

Don't you mean 1.5 INCHES!?!? LOL!