PDA

View Full Version : Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico, Mila-Sn Remo cancelled, Paris-Nice might be next

Mark McM
03-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Italian government suspends all sporting events due to corona-virus:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-italian-races-face-cancellation-after-government-suspends-sporting-events-until-april-3/

14 team doctors from 11 teams request Paris-Nice be cancelled:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-team-doctors-request-cancellation-of-paris-nice-and-italian-races/

Keith A
03-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Wow

FlashUNC
03-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Not all that surprising given how Northern Italy's been hit with this.

Clean39T
03-04-2020, 02:28 PM
Not all that surprising given how Northern Italy's been hit with this.

That's what happens when a country tests sick patients and is honest with it's citizenry........

Wonder if Zwift could host some form of a virtual MSR?

FlashUNC
03-04-2020, 03:01 PM
That's what happens when a country tests sick patients and is honest with it's citizenry........

Wonder if Zwift could host some form of a virtual MSR?

If surviving the coronavirus means having to watch Zwift racing, I'll just let the virus take me.

trener1
03-04-2020, 03:04 PM
Unless there is a cure found really soon, I see the Giro and Tour being canceled

Mark McM
03-04-2020, 03:09 PM
The Las Vegas odds makers also favor the Tokyo Olympics being cancelled.

trener1
03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I can see that, it sure would suck especially for athletes that are in a sport that really only gets to shine once every 4 years, but this is bigger then sport.
Until a vaccine comes through this is going to get pretty scary.

Matthew
03-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Man this blows. Really hoping they can get a strangle hold on this freaking virus.

Clean39T
03-04-2020, 04:01 PM
At some point we just have to accept that everyone in the world will be exposed regardless of what measures are taken and just get back to living our lives despite the day-to-day risks involved..

Mark McM
03-04-2020, 04:21 PM
At some point we just have to accept that everyone in the world will be exposed regardless of what measures are taken and just get back to living our lives despite the day-to-day risks involved..

So, Thanos, you're okay with 3.4%* of the current world population dying of this disease?

*WHO's currently estimated global fatality rate.

Clean39T
03-04-2020, 04:32 PM
So, Thanos, you're okay with 3.4%* of the current world population dying of this disease?

*WHO's currently estimated global fatality rate.Of course not, insulate the most vulnerable where possible, develop treatments, etc. But the toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain't goin back in... We can't shut down the entire world or more people will die from that than from the virus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Red Tornado
03-04-2020, 04:49 PM
Of course not, insulate the most vulnerable where possible, develop treatments, etc. But the toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain't goin back in... We can't shut down the entire world or more people will die from that than from the virus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Agree 100% with this. "Shutting the world down" could have negative unintended consequences on par with, or maybe greater, than this virus. Or maybe not, but I don't want to find out.

FlashUNC
03-04-2020, 04:52 PM

Very Ivan Drago in Rocky IV after the Apollo fight.

Mark McM
03-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Of course not, insulate the most vulnerable where possible, develop treatments, etc. But the toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain't goin back in... We can't shut down the entire world or more people will die from that than from the virus.

The toothpaste may not be out of the tube yet. Strong measures were put in place to stop SARS and that is now effectively gone. While Ebola is not gone, it's spread has been stopped.

How do you insulate the most vulnerable, without inconveniencing the reset?

And the world hasn't been shut down yet.

cgolvin
03-04-2020, 05:54 PM
How do you insulate the most vulnerable, without inconveniencing the rest?

I don't know the answer to this, but were I a betting man I'd put money on Paceline developing a viable answer before Mike Pence.

trener1
03-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Lucky for us (in dark way) this is a global issue so while China and the US governments are busy digging holes to stick their heads into, there are saner country's that are putting lots of resources into developing a cure

Michael Maddox
03-04-2020, 09:47 PM
And I'm stuck watching the epidemiological data for a couple of weeks while I consider my two-week trip to Belgium and France that was to start on April 1st. I waited fifty years, and now this.

Hopefully Trek Travel will call it before I do.

Dammit.