PDA

View Full Version : Rondo Ruut // (Help Choosing a rear rack)

itsflantastic
03-03-2020, 02:38 PM
So I got a great deal on an interesting gravel bike - the Rondo Ruut (the HVRT also looks really cool but I was interested in trying something different).

The Ruut checked a lot of boxes for me:

steel with brazeons
good tire clearance 700 and 650 compatible
hydro disc brakes
Rival 1x
thru axles
Under 2K new

More info here:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/rondo-ruut-st-on-test/

It also has a variable geometry with a flip chip in the front fork. Everyone I talked to who owns the bike said the difference was real and it wasn't really just gimicky. This appealed to me as I wanted a bike that felt and rode more like a road bike but most of the gravel bikes I was test riding were too upright and sluggish. The range of riding positions this bike offered appealed to me as I was looking for 1 do-it-all ride. I love/hate the colors, but think if I remove the wheel decals and switch the saddle it'll get better. It's a shame, their other bikes are all pretty beautiful, but this one is a bit garish to my eye... still it wasn't the most important aspect of the purchase.

ANYWAY. The rear stays have braze-ons for racks in the usual space up top. But there are no eyelets on the rear dropouts where I'd usually expect them. Instead they are up above the disc and cassette on the inside of the frame which seem more like fender mounts to me.

The bike hasn't arrived yet so I don't have measurements yet, but I'd like to get a rack to commute and bike tour with and can't seem to find one that I am confident will fit.

Any thoughts?

rain dogs
03-04-2020, 11:37 AM
No rear rack.

Use bags instead. There are so many good options on bags and they are all so well designed a rack is just unnecessary weight and bulk.

Buy a large bikepacking saddle bag. If that isn't enough, get a half frame bag or a handlebar bag.

itsflantastic
03-04-2020, 11:38 AM
No rear rack.

Use bags instead. There are so many good options on bags and they are all so well designed a rack is just unnecessary weight and bulk.

Buy a large bikepacking saddle bag. If that isn't enough, get a half frame bag or a handlebar bag.

Thank you for the input! I'm open to it. I don't love racks...Does anyone have experience with a bag that would fit a 13" macbook?

rain dogs
03-04-2020, 11:46 AM
oh. If you're going to use it for commuting/macbook then you're probably going to want a rack with panniers or something... or a backpack if your ride isn't far.

I thought we were talking about bikepacking/gravel etc. You;re not going to fit a macbook safely in a large seatbag.

itsflantastic
03-04-2020, 11:56 AM
this seat pack looks like it actually might do the trick:
https://www.arkel-od.com/rollpacker-25-bikepacking-seat-bag (or possibly it's smaller bother the 15 L model... I need to find dimensions).

I'd rather avoid racks and panniers if possible, as I want this to be my do everything bike and racks can be a bit of a drag.

jr59
03-04-2020, 01:19 PM
If you’re looking for a saddle bag. Caradice camper, or long flat works.

IMO: Nothing really works as well as a rack and panniers. Touring and commuting are not about style points. It’s about getting you and whatever you want to carry there safely and comfortably. Dry too.

itsflantastic
03-04-2020, 01:27 PM
I agree re: panniers. I used to rock 4 panniers on a touring bike and took some rather long trips...

My reluctance to go with a rack and panniers is just that I want to commute with this on a Friday and then do gravel rides on a Saturday (preferably without a rack). So, I was hoping that - with all of the developments in bike packing gear - I could find something that lets me be rackless.

My original post was actually just to see if anyone had good rack suggestions for this bike which has the brazeons on the stays up top but the bottom attachments are in an unusual place.

donevwil
03-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Check out Tailfin (https://www.tailfin.cc/all-products/) racks, easy on/easy off, super light and stiff. They use an application specific 12mm TA lower mount so no braze-on needed.

Not the cheapest solution, but absolutely one of the most functionally elegant.

https://www.tailfin.cc/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/axles_crop-600x600.jpg.webp

cp43
03-04-2020, 01:47 PM
I agree re: panniers. I used to rock 4 panniers on a touring bike and took some rather long trips...

My reluctance to go with a rack and panniers is just that I want to commute with this on a Friday and then do gravel rides on a Saturday (preferably without a rack). So, I was hoping that - with all of the developments in bike packing gear - I could find something that lets me be rackless.

My original post was actually just to see if anyone had good rack suggestions for this bike which has the brazeons on the stays up top but the bottom attachments are in an unusual place.

Take a look at Tubus racks. They have some very light/minimal options. I have one on my gravel bike. I don't notice it unless there's a pannier on it.

They also have good drawings, with all the dimensions, so you should be able figure out if it will fit your bike.

Chris

Geeheeb
03-04-2020, 03:29 PM
This bag is 12" wide and would expand a tiny bit. That should fit your macbook even in a sleeve:

https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/middle-earth-jammer-handlebar-bag

No its not cheap, but they usually do a sale on 4/20 if you can wait that long.

itsflantastic
03-04-2020, 03:34 PM
This bag is 12" wide and would expand a tiny bit. That should fit your macbook even in a sleeve:

https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/middle-earth-jammer-handlebar-bag

No its not cheap, but they usually do a sale on 4/20 if you can wait that long.

That looks awesome - do you have one or any experience with it? Also that's dope bar tape in their ad - just in case anyone knows where to get that! :cool:

Geeheeb
03-04-2020, 03:39 PM
I have the bigger one and the smaller one, and I love them. I use them for bikepacking, touring, and commuting daily.

They are pretty quick on the bike, but I did sew a loose loop from the molle-type backing to the cam strap to keep them from falling off the bike.

They are very water resistant, but not hurricane waterproof. Just like any open rolltop it can be hard to find something small inside it if its full. The pockets on the front hold a lot more than they would look like too.

jtakeda
03-04-2020, 03:42 PM
That looks awesome - do you have one or any experience with it? Also that's dope bar tape in their ad - just in case anyone knows where to get that! :cool:

The bar tape is Serfas woven.

If I were you I’d use a rack. It’s only 4 bolts for on and off. Do you really want your computer flying around underneath your saddle?

Geeheeb
03-04-2020, 03:48 PM
To be clear I use that bag on my handlebars.