PDA

View Full Version : redline 9.2.5 ss/fixed - thoughts?

fierte_poser
01-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Stumbled onto this via google search for some single speed conversion parts. Maybe it would be wiser to just buy a whole new bike?

Thoughts for $500 complete?

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/925.html

Smiley
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
spec's and geometry look really good and relaxed for pavement use. BUY IT NOW :)

Frankwurst
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
You can find them slightly used for $325 give or take if you don't mind the search or wait. I bought one for that amount and really enjoyed it. I wanted to try the single speed thing and liked it enough I sold the 9.2.5 to up grade but it was a decent bike for the money. :beer:

alembical
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I personally think it is one of (if not) the best new commuter bang for your buck bikes. Single-speed, low maintenance, comes with fenders, rack attachement, cheap, etc...

That said, you get what you pay for and for the more serious riders, it may not hold up well (although I have heard no complaints). They look great though. I personally paid much less than that to convert an old 70's Austro Diamler.

Alembical

Fixed
01-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I had a r.l. s.s. mt. bike fixed it was a good work horse imho
cheers

fierte_poser
01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody... I'm in a position to either buy a cheap ss/fixed like the r.l. or build up an old frame into a ss/fixed beastie. The old frame in question is a lugged steel Specialized Allez Pro from 1994.

Its my friend's dad's old frame. His dad is the one that got all of us into cycling, and he is getting rid of it. I was always envious of the allez pro, and now I'll get the chance to ride it. I just hope it isn't a size too big...

The big choice I need to make it what handlebars to put on it.

Kent

Ozz
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
...The old frame in question is a lugged steel Specialized Allez Pro from 1994. ...
I had a '93 like this one...nice frame, just a touch too small for me. I believe dbrk had some comments about the 9-2-5 when it first came out about not being able to change a flat easily cuz of the fenders and dropouts...or something like that. You might check out the Bianchi San Jose also...you get drop handlebars and such for about $600