PDA

View Full Version : chain sizing for 1x

one60
03-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed...

What is the recommended procedure for sizing an 11 speed chain for a 1x set up when using Shimano Ultegra RX (clutched) derailleur.

fmradio516
03-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Ive been wondering about this too, lately. I have always done the "small-small" technique(1x, 2x, 3x), but ive been seeing a lot of bikes with extra slack in the chain when in the smalls front and back. If in the small cog in the back, you will noticeably see the chain hanging a bit. Not sure if small-small is acceptable anymore, or what.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2020, 09:11 AM
Sizing for 1by can be vexing. Small-small technique(with 1 CR), 'might' be too long, altho too long is not that big of a deal, particularly with a clutch rear der.

Hopefully you can use a snap link, start at CR and smallest cog, 'small-small' technique, just starting to pull on the spring in the rear der cage.....see how tight the chain is when on biggest cog(lowest gear), and them 'maybe' take a link out, look again. OR, just shift to lowest gear in back and snake the chain thru and see. MIGHT result in a too long chain BUT might be the only way for those 10-50 or whatever cogsets.

The ONLY thing that really critical is having enough chain to easily use the biggest cog...

Tony
03-03-2020, 09:24 AM
I install the chain around the chainring and big cog without the rear der. then add four links plus quicklink.

chiasticon
03-03-2020, 09:58 AM
What is the recommended procedure for sizing an 11 speed chain for a 1x set up when using Shimano Ultegra RX (clutched) derailleur.I just did this for GRX 2X and it was match up big/big and add 4-6 links. guessing you'll need to do same and add 4 links. but either way it should be in the Shimano manual.

Lewis Moon
03-03-2020, 10:00 AM
I just did this for GRX 2X and it was match up big/big and add 4-6 links. guessing you'll need to do same and add 4 links. but either way it should be in the Shimano manual.

This worked for me. You need some extra links for the long cage der.