PDA

View Full Version : life lessons with Johan...

cash05458
03-02-2020, 02:23 PM
quite moving really...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-i-hit-rock-bottom-after-us-postal-scandal/

FlashUNC
03-02-2020, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't trust the guy to manage the swing shift at a Little Caesar's.

Black Dog
03-02-2020, 02:39 PM
My takeaway from him was that as long as everyone else is cheating its ok to cheat as long as you are not arrogant.

benb
03-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Sounds like he still hasn't accepted any guilt or admitted personally that he did anything wrong???

mhespenheide
03-02-2020, 04:01 PM
While I don't wish them harm, I never need to read about or hear from LA or JB again.

teleguy57
03-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Yeah, saw the headline at CN and said to myself "no need to click on that one..." Why would they even both publishing that???

72gmc
03-02-2020, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't trust the guy to manage the swing shift at a Little Caesar's.

Cheatsa cheatsa!

glepore
03-02-2020, 07:24 PM
quite moving really...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-i-hit-rock-bottom-after-us-postal-scandal/

Yes, but be prepared for the folks who like simple and black and white.

peanutgallery
03-03-2020, 04:42 AM
If you want to feel empathy...save it for the folks who's lives they wrecked in their capers. It's a long list

weisan
03-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Yawn...what else is new.

I thought this one was a "better" script.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oleg-tinkov-pays-pound20-million-bail-in-fight-to-avoid-extradition-to-usa-for-tax-case/

AngryScientist
03-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Cheatsa cheatsa!

haha, great comment!

Black Dog
03-03-2020, 06:24 AM
Cheatsa cheatsa!

:)

peanutgallery
03-03-2020, 07:50 AM
That stuff is just barely street cred for a member of the Russian mafia. That won't even get him a spider web tattoo

Yawn...what else is new.

I thought this one was a "better" script.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oleg-tinkov-pays-pound20-million-bail-in-fight-to-avoid-extradition-to-usa-for-tax-case/

weisan
03-03-2020, 10:03 AM
That stuff is just barely street cred for a member of the Russian mafia. That won't even get him a spider web tattoo

Actually I am more interested in approaching the movie script from the angle of the wifie...

Tinkov paid the £20 million and so was allowed to stay in a luxury apartment owned by his wife in central London

Red Tornado
03-03-2020, 10:59 AM
My takeaway from him was that as long as everyone else is cheating its ok to cheat as long as you are not arrogant.

The same thought occurred to me.

72gmc
03-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Among the people involved (bike racers, financiers (https://www.revealnews.org/article/glare-of-lance-armstrong-probe-falls-on-sf-financier/), sporting goods executives, governing body bureaucrats) Johan seemed uniquely positioned to hit every single branch as he fell to the ground. If we're determined to make sure it's recognized as a systemic problem, who takes the direct hit? The team manager, as he should.

He deserved the fall but I'm glad he is on the way back up, outside of cycling. He probably has value to offer in some other aspect of life.

oldguy00
03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
If you want to feel empathy...save it for the folks who's lives they wrecked in their capers. It's a long list

I've wondered about this, how many people he had a direct negative financial impact on.

The Andreau's (though I do believe Betsy didn't exactly help her husband's career either....)
That Italian rider (sorry, forget his name)
Floyd if we believe Lance ratted him out to doping control
I think maybe some assistant/mechanic he had supposedly promised to help financially??
Others?

I still don't know if he should have received a lifetime ban for doping, when others receive much more lenient punishments.
If they wanted to punish him for being an asshole, which I don't believe is technically against the rules, its too bad he couldn't have been made to compensate the above people, instead of having millions of tax payers money wasted in a useless court case.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for any of the riders he beat and financially impacted in that regard, since I do feel all of them were doping. Yes, all of them. Theres a reason that there is no one to give his yellow jerseys to.

torquer
03-03-2020, 12:11 PM
I've wondered about this, how many people he had a direct negative financial impact on.
Please.
Beside the fact that Froid needed zero help destroying his own credibility, and as collateral damage torpedoed an entire pro team, tossing dozens of riders and support staff out of work, he wound up cashing in big on LA's settlement with the feds.
And then he re-emerges from the swamp peddling CBD snake oil...

oldguy00
03-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Please.
Beside the fact that Froid needed zero help destroying his own credibility, and as collateral damage torpedoed an entire pro team, tossing dozens of riders and support staff out of work, he wound up cashing in big on LA's settlement with the feds.
And then he re-emerges from the swamp peddling CBD snake oil...

No argument! :)
Not to say he didn't get a nice amount of $$, but I don't think it was quite as huge as some think.
Via a quick google search, 1.1 million, of which close to half was still owed to people he took money from to fight his own bull**** defense against doping. Not sure if that 1.1 award is also taxed? no idea. But I doubt he's exactly living a rich lifestyle. Then again, maybe his new business is actually doing really well?

peanutgallery
03-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Emma O'Reilly

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lance-armstrong-called-whore-ive-3830693

The Andreau's (though I do believe Betsy didn't exactly help her husband's career either....)
I think maybe some assistant/mechanic he had supposedly promised to help financially??
Others?

I still don't know if he should have received a lifetime ban for doping, when others receive much more lenient punishments.
If they wanted to punish him for being an asshole, which I don't believe is technically against the rules, its too bad he couldn't have been made to compensate the above people, instead of having millions of tax payers money wasted in a useless court case.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for any of the riders he beat and financially impacted in that regard, since I do feel all of them were doping. Yes, all of them. Theres a reason that there is no one to give his yellow jerseys to.

Mark McM
03-03-2020, 08:05 PM

Well, defrauded SCA Promotions out of $5 million. He also sued The Sunday Times for libel after they printed a story that alleged he doped and got a 300,000 pound settlement.

IThe Andreau's (though I do believe Betsy didn't exactly help her husband's career either....)

I think you're referring to Fillipo Simeone. He also was involved in drumming Cristophe Bassons out of pro cycling. Its likely there were others.

Others?

Don't forget Federal witness tampering, when he hunted down and threatened Tyler Hamilton about testifying to the Grand Jury.

Lance Armstrong was not given a lifetime ban for doping, and he was not singled out amongst the other riders for prosecution. That's just part of the PR story that Armstrong has been trying to tell.

It has long been said that rider's are just pawns in sports doping, and that the real culprits, and those most deserving of punishment, are the team managers that encourage and promote their riders to dope. Well guess what - that's what Lance Armstrong was. He wasn't just a rider, he was a team owner (he was a part owner of Tailwind Sports, that owned both the US Postal and Discovery teams). He not only encouraged doping amongst the other riders, he actually supplied doping products to the riders on his team. That's what got him the lifetime ban, not just his own doping.

And contrary to what he claims, he wasn't singled out for the lifetime ban. In the same USADA action, 3 others were given lifetime bans for encouraging, promoting and supplying doping products, include the team director (Johan Bruyneel), team doctor (Pedro Celeya) and a trainer (Jose Marti).

giordana93
03-03-2020, 08:15 PM
boo hoo

refused to click the link

systematically lied and cheated. got caught. tough tiddlywinks. he's lucky he's not in prison. many people are for lesser offenses.

choke
03-03-2020, 08:41 PM
While I don't wish them harm, I never need to read about or hear from LA or JB again.+11ty billion