PDA

View Full Version : Panaracers.....recommended

mass_biker
03-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Thank you all for your input along the way as I noodled on the various iterations of this fine tire.

I've been running the Gravelking "smooth" (file tread) 700x28s on a few wheels over the year. I accidentally found myself on some gnarly gravel roads in Virginia a year ago, descending into long wooded glades, blindly grabbing my (rim) brakes, and these held up like champs. That experience sold me.

So, this year I decided to run the 32c version on my wide rim/aluminum winter wheels. Burly. Bombproof. And surprisingly nimble for such a beefy tire. I'm running these in the high 60/low 70 PSI range. I'm able to crank out 3-4 hour hilly rides at a sprightly pace. The tires are not holding me back.

So, when I decided to rebuild my 15 year old C50, I opted for the Gravelking 700x26 on older HEDs (not the +) hoping that they will fit my chainstays and my fork bridge. They fit fine, and on their maiden voyage, they rode superbly. I'm 145 lb and am running these in the low/mid 70 PSI range.

For those PLers out there looking for a durable, lively, somewhat "retro" looking (tan sidewalls...) tire that can fit older bikes, I recommend the 700x26 Gravelkings. A fine alternative to Contis, Michelins etc. - which are fine as well - but for the narrow segment of folks looking for a decent, durable "wider than 23c" tire that still fits a good number of chainstays - keep this one in mind.

jtbadge
03-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Love GravelKings in all shapes and sizes, have been preaching this for years at this point.

The 26c was the biggest tire I could fit under the brake bridge of my 90's MX Leader. Great all season, all surface tire. I've also got a set of 28c and 38c slicks, and 43c SKs. Last a long time, roll quickly (enough), decent puncture resistance, and around only $30 each at most online vendors.

merckx
03-02-2020, 01:28 PM
How do the Gravel King 26s and 28s measure up? Have you measured them, and what rims do you have them mounted on?

Danke

parris
03-02-2020, 01:29 PM
These are tires I've been thinking about for a bit. Quick question, how do they run size wise? True to size, bigger, or smaller than marked?

jtbadge
03-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Mine are true to labeled size on Archetypes and Belgium C2s.

The first run of "35" and "40" SKs came in too big and were rebranded as 38 and 43.

AngryScientist
03-02-2020, 01:33 PM
I've been on Panaracers of all sorts for years, especially for off-road. My love affair started with Pasela's, on which i have ridden many, many off path miles. lots of d2r2 success with the venerable pasela.

GKs are a nice evolution of the off road tire, and i like how they have broadened the line to include different weights and tread patterns. hard to go wrong with a panaracer.

mass_biker
03-02-2020, 01:43 PM
How do the Gravel King 26s and 28s measure up? Have you measured them, and what rims do you have them mounted on?

Danke

Pretty much true to size - I'll get the calipers on them to confirm, but the 26mm are on first gen HED Ardennes (not the +) and they fit a 15 year old C50 just fine.

As a frame of reference, Conti GP4k 25mm did not fit with the same rim. But I've heard they run a little large anyway.

David in Maine
03-02-2020, 02:30 PM
How does the "suppleness"/ride feel on these compare to Rene Herse? Specifically on pavement. Are they miles apart, or do the GravelKings still put a smile on your face while they offer better puncture protection.

David

mass_biker
03-02-2020, 02:48 PM
How does the "suppleness"/ride feel on these compare to Rene Herse? Specifically on pavement. Are they miles apart, or do the GravelKings still put a smile on your face while they offer better puncture protection.

David

Cannot compare to Rene Here...but relative to Conti GP series...I'd say comparable (at least to me) and certainly not sluggish.

Definitely more lively (and lighter) than the Conti GatorSkin series (but that's more apples/oranges).

From a longtime Conti GP 4k rider, I've been pleasantly surprised.

rowebr
03-02-2020, 03:22 PM

David

On the same bike, I've ridden the RH 650Bx38mm Extralights, and the GravelKing 650Bx38mm file tread.

Without a doubt, the RH extralights felt like they rolled smoother and probably were faster. But the GravelKings felt like they had noticeably better grip in the corners, and they certainly did not make the bike feel slow or sluggish. So yeah, still fun to ride!

DeBike
03-02-2020, 04:59 PM
I got my first pair of GK's 4 to 6 weeks ago, 26mm. That is the biggest tire that will fit on my Ochsner road bike. I am very pleased with the ride, and the brown sidewall look really fits the bike. I have been a fan of Paselas for quite a while. I find them to be true to stated size, but that somewhat depends on the rims.

HenryA
03-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Panaracer makes truly excellent tires.

dpdan93
03-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Beyond excited to read this. I have a moots psychlo x inbound that i want to use as a gravel/all road. Classic canti’s but full SRAM force 22 grouppo. Got a pair of 32 GK slicks to be able to run a little variety and some more salted up winter roads. Very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rccardr
03-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Panaracer GK 26's on the Canyon for fast-ish group rides, 32's on the Davidson for gravel rides and Eroica.

Really nice tires!

doomridesout
03-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Nothing to add but that I'm a confirmed fanboy of every iteration of Gravelking.

CO_Hoya
03-03-2020, 06:00 AM
I’ve only had the GK in 37mm and have liked those, it wasn’t sure how much was simply the larger volume.

Now y’all have me wanting to try the 26mm . . .

Tim Porter
03-03-2020, 07:30 AM
My first experience with Panaracer has been stellar. Every so often, Excel Sports sells a load of what must be a hybridized version of the Gravel King where they put more of a racing file-style tread on a GK carcass (or something like that). I bought a pair in 28mm for my orange Kirk and they are fantastic. I wish this model would be a standard offering.

https://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/Uu45ZMq2SWymOTF4S0ngpw_zps5zrll92o.jpg

merckx
03-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Tim, I also purchased a pair of Race Gravels from Excel two years ago. I agree that they were swell tires for all the right reasons. My only complaint is that they were a little undersized. My 28c Race Gravels measured 26mm on 17mm rims.

Overshot
03-03-2020, 08:58 PM
What has been your experience so far on mileage for the Panaracer GK’s?

I’m about 1K into a set of 38’s and starting to notice some wear. I am nothing but impressed so far.

doomridesout
03-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Actually those are the more supple Panaracer road racing casing with a GK file tread slapped on-- nice tires and I'd buy some if they came out again.

My experience with wear is OK but not great. They're fairly soft and square off in the rear fairly quickly. I think the amount of rubber is not consistent through sizes- some sizes of GK are reasonably weighty for their size, some are extraordinarily light. For example, the 700x28 is claimed 270 grams- not crazy light, not super heavy. But the 700x38 is claimed 320 grams-- a crazy light tire for that size. I commuted on them briefly but they didn't hold up well to glass because they're just too thin for that application. Then the 650x48 is 520 grams- and wears and feels like it. I like the light ones, but they tend to wear out fairly quickly.

fredd
03-03-2020, 11:00 PM
Ride 28 GKs on the roadie. Ride nice and have good puncture protection, from glass as well IME.
Pasela PTs are my fav tire for my commuter fixed gear. They grip well in the rain and are tough enough for NYC streets. I don't really skid or skip stop, would ride something else if I did.

Gsinill
03-04-2020, 02:29 PM
...and they install by hand on my Neutrons; what a difference to my venture into TL :)

Thanks for posting this, mass_biker.
Was on the hunt for all black clinchers when this came up.
Just got them delivered today, so no verdict on how they ride yet, but I trust all the praise from fellow PaceLiners.

dpdan93
03-05-2020, 05:57 AM
700x32c Panaracer gravelking slicks installed tubeless yesterday on my moots psychlo. I'm pretty shocked at the level of grip off pavement, not super muddy but not bone dry out either. They seem very close to that of my 37c WTB riddlers on light gravel. Still testing the limits and slowly building up confidence with them.

commandcomm
03-05-2020, 06:12 AM
Below are links to two informative articles that Jan Heine wrote about Panaracer manufacturing as Panaracer makes the tires for Rene Herse. There was talk/rumor that the gravel king and Rene Herse were the same, but Jan explains the difference as the molds are different. I only ride gravel Kings or Rene Herse depending on how much money I want to spend.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/panaracer-hand-made-tires/

https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-are-compass-tires-different-from-panaracers/

mistermo
03-05-2020, 09:51 AM
don't forget Rivendell's Jack Browns and Roly Polys which I also believe were from Panaracer.

koudja
03-08-2020, 11:40 PM
^^ I’ve read similar articles where panaracer states that they’re entirely different compounds, etc. from the Rene Herse.

I’m on my fourth set of sk in 38 flavor (42 on a 21 ID rim). The supple casing is what makes these tires so great.

KJMUNC
03-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Great to read this thread....was just talking to a buddy about how big of tires I could fit on my Trek Domane Classics. Currently have 28c Vittoria Corsa Competition, but they're not very durable and I have more than enough room to bump up to 30c, maybe more. Have been exploring more rough/dirt road sections of rides so will have to see if I can fit 32s under there as well.

mac.
03-31-2020, 08:27 PM
I've been loving having the Pasela on my commuter bike. A very nice and supple ride.

Smitty2k1
04-01-2020, 07:10 AM
I've got the Panaracer T-Serv on my commuter bike in 700x32. Rock solid with zero flats so far. If I ever wear those out I'll probably move on to the Pasela w/ Protite belt. From what I gather it's a bit more quality tire that only sacrifices some puncture resistance compared to the T-Serv.

I've yet to try Gravel Kings on my 650b bike, but I haven't been too impressed with my WTB Horizons so I may give the GKs a go. That said I bought a used RH Switchback Hill EL tire, and am on the hunt for a 2nd, so the Gravel Kings may have to wait a bit...

Kyle h
04-02-2020, 07:06 AM
I’m a big fan of the GK range as well. I’ve been using the 35,38, and 43 on various bikes with excellent results. I recently got a set of RH Steilacoom (standard casing) and while they have a lot better grip in wet conditions, they’re pretty slow IMO vs the GK for our local gravel. I do run a set of Barlow Pass EL when I’m doing more pavement based rides on my FF and those tires are amazing. They’re super fast, very supple, can’t comment on durability though as I just put them on.

I wish the GK slicks came in tubeless for the 28s so I could throw them in my commuter.

jefenger
04-02-2020, 03:33 PM
These are tires I've been thinking about for a bit. Quick question, how do they run size wise? True to size, bigger, or smaller than marked?

I've got two pairs of GravelKings - 700x32c GK and 700x35 Gravelking Plus, and they both run bigger. The 32c GK measure out to 35mm wide when mounted on rims with a 21mm inner diameter and the 35c GK Plus measure 38mm when mounted on rims with a 20mm inner diameter.