PDA

View Full Version : Tom Ritchey interview on CyclingTips

fiamme red
03-02-2020, 09:40 AM
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/shoddy-tom-ritchey-skipping-school-and-building-electric-cars/

He built and brazed a steel electric car when he was 11. :)

I still love my Ritchey Ascent Comp.

flying
03-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Thank You! :beer:

Tony Edwards
03-02-2020, 02:23 PM
To me Tom Ritchey is a hero - a quiet innovator and pioneer who continues to produce a wide array of attractive, well-thought-out products after decades in the sport.

picstloup
03-03-2020, 06:54 AM
flamme red, thanks...

mcteague
03-05-2020, 05:07 PM
If you like that one, watch this as well. It goes quite a bit deeper into his life.

https://youtu.be/CAQ2pyuxQto

Tim

paulb
03-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Wrong thread.

nickl
03-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Spoke with Tom at the Philadelphia Bike Expo last November. He is genuine in that he hasn’t strayed from his framebuilder roots and can still wield a torch with best.

https://thebicycleacademy.org/pages/old-skool-x-new-school

wc1934
03-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Great thread - thanks all!

charliedid
03-05-2020, 11:31 PM
Spoke with Tom at the Philadelphia Bike Expo last November. He is genuine in that he hasn’t strayed from his framebuilder roots and can still wield a torch with best.

https://thebicycleacademy.org/pages/old-skool-x-new-school

Some even think he is the best. :-)

oldpotatoe
03-06-2020, 08:21 AM
The thing I liked about Ritchey stuff was that, even tho vast majority made 'off shore", he was constantly checking QC personally, to make sure his really great design carried thru to the final product.

VERY few warranty issues with the TON of Ritchey stuff I sold.

Black Dog
03-06-2020, 08:04 PM
The thing I liked about Ritchey stuff was that, even tho vast majority made 'off shore", he was constantly checking QC personally, to make sure his really great design carried thru to the final product.

And there is the secret sauce. :cool:

MikeD
03-07-2020, 08:56 AM
And there is the secret sauce. :cool:

Except for all the counterfeit Ritchey stuff out there. Buyer beware, especially on eBay.

nickl
03-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Except for all the counterfeit Ritchey stuff out there. Buyer beware, especially on eBay.

It goes without saying the counterfeit products issue is a major consumer product issue impacting not only cycling but all items sold online especially when many sites turn a blind eye to this activity.

colker
03-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Everything he makes is elegant ... and yet he is worried about performance all the time.
Just look at Ritchey mountain bikes of the early 90s against what was being promoted, those fluos, elevated stays, oversized. Ritchey was always downplaying big shapes and his bikes were quieter in design. I remember him saying that his paradigm was De Rosa.. That´s when everybody turned away from classic road bikes and rode an mtb.
The man is straight as an arrow to his words and his vision. His quill stems are small diameter and so is the tubing on his line of P bikes. He defied norm by working w/ steel when everybody had to have a titanium bike.. He was weight conscious when everybody wanted to be fat on mtbiking. You realize Ritchey was ahead of his time. Everybody went back to steel and took road bikes to gravel: that was always a Ritchey thing and yet he always remained quiet about his leadership.
Huge talent. No wonder his early mtbs are being sold at art collection prices: the man´s welding is out of this world. And yet we can buy one of his road, gravel, cx or mtb stuff being sold at stores at mid price levels. And it all performs. No precious. TR stuff is so good; i have witnessed guys who are jaded w/ high end cycling hand made bling say they liked a Ritchey logic frame better.
TR stands out.

EDIT: The Ritchey Logic crankset is the best most beautifull CX or mtb crankset ever made imo.

colker
03-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Some even think he is the best. :-)

Yes. Just look at his early fillet brazing mountain bikes or road bikes. Look at a Ritchey Annapurna.

flying
03-07-2020, 12:01 PM
And yet we can buy one of his road, gravel, cx or mtb stuff being sold at stores at mid price levels. And it all performs. No precious. TR stuff is so good; i have witnessed guys who are jaded w/ high end cycling hand made bling say they liked a Ritchey logic frame better.
TR stands out.

^^^This^^^ It has always amazed & impressed me that he has kept his prices at more than fair levels.
He has the skills & knowledge of not just being a builder craftsman but a rider racer too.

His products have always been top notch & as you say really stand out.;)

54ny77
03-07-2020, 12:09 PM
truth!

Everything he makes is elegant ... and yet he is worried about performance all the time.
Just look at Ritchey mountain bikes of the early 90s against what was being promoted, those fluos, elevated stays, oversized. Ritchey was always downplaying big shapes and his bikes were quieter in design. I remember him saying that his paradigm was De Rosa.. That´s when everybody turned away from classic road bikes and rode an mtb.
The man is straight as an arrow to his words and his vision. His quill stems are small diameter and so is the tubing on his line of P bikes. He defied norm by working w/ steel when everybody had to have a titanium bike.. He was weight conscious when everybody wanted to be fat on mtbiking. You realize Ritchey was ahead of his time. Everybody went back to steel and took road bikes to gravel: that was always a Ritchey thing and yet he always remained quiet about his leadership.
Huge talent. No wonder his early mtbs are being sold at art collection prices: the man´s welding is out of this world. And yet we can buy one of his road, gravel, cx or mtb stuff being sold at stores at mid price levels. And it all performs. No precious. TR stuff is so good; i have witnessed guys who are jaded w/ high end cycling hand made bling say they liked a Ritchey logic frame better.
TR stands out.

EDIT: The Ritchey Logic crankset is the best most beautifull CX or mtb crankset ever made imo.

koudja
03-08-2020, 11:32 PM
It’s impressive that the magic makes it to present day production frames. I’ve owned an old and new Swiss cross, and they were a dream to ride.

If you ever have an itch to buy a spare bike (or primary), take a good look at a Ritchey metal frame.

vincenz
03-09-2020, 04:57 AM

I’ve had a lot of Ritchey stuff and this is very true. I don’t believe I’ve ever had a component I wasn’t happy with.

His stuff is as functional as his words.

j_b
03-09-2020, 12:05 PM
happy to be swinging a leg over a Logic each day. to feel truly one with a machine is a special feeling.