PDA

View Full Version : Bike Dork Story from Today

Lanternrouge
02-29-2020, 05:32 PM
I chatted with a guy whose dad was a builder at Masi California (the early days) and bought Mario Confente's personal bike when Mario needed to raise money for the framebuilding business. Apparently, when Masi set up in California, a bunch of the builders came out from Italy and were supposed to be here for part of the year and come back, but then they didn't. We also chatted about racing in the late 1980s.

I thought I'd share since neither my wife nor the dogs are that interested in this stuff.

I also got to see some no-hands track stands in conjunction with the Canyon/Selle Italia skills clinic as well as one of Alejandro Valverde's bikes in world champion paint, Nairo Quintana's pink Giro bike, etc. at the Canyon Showroom.

AngryScientist
02-29-2020, 05:37 PM
that's pretty cool, i feel like a lot of bike guys who could get in before the real estate bubble blew up wound up in southern california.

how did you happen upon this conversation, on a ride, bike shop or...

it's really a completely different landscape these days with the most desirable bikes coming from the big shops, and largely offshore, compared to the days when the bike you lusted after were made one by one. no going back now of course, but it's interesting to remember the culture of yesteryear.

Steve in SLO
02-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Very cool connection you made, and we are more excited for you than your wife, kids, dog.
A few years ago at the Eroica I was showing my Gran Criterium in the concours and got to talk to a number of people who were directly or indirectly involved with Masi California. These are people I never thought I would meet but it ends up being quite a small world.

Lanternrouge
02-29-2020, 08:32 PM
that's pretty cool, i feel like a lot of bike guys who could get in before the real estate bubble blew up wound up in southern california.

how did you happen upon this conversation, on a ride, bike shop or...

it's really a completely different landscape these days with the most desirable bikes coming from the big shops, and largely offshore, compared to the days when the bike you lusted after were made one by one. no going back now of course, but it's interesting to remember the culture of yesteryear.

He was one of the few people at the Selle Italia/Canyon ride/skills clinic/demo day that I didn't already know and he was also riding a steel bike. I introduced myself and we started chatting about bikes and racing since he had raced with people I knew in high school and college (the guys who were really good and I certainly wasn't one of them). The American Masi bikes were made in the San Diego area. I think it was in Vista or maybe I'm just thinking that because it's where the current Masi is.

For me, the most desirable bikes are from the small builders, but I know I'm not representative of most people who are into bikes.

There was also a Peter Mooney, but its owner was riding a Canyon today

Ken Robb
02-29-2020, 09:06 PM
I think Masi was originally in Carlsbad and later moved to Rancho Santa Fe. Not a typical industrial location. :) Kevin Millard owns California Bicycles in La Jolla and I think he worked at Masi for a while.