PDA

View Full Version : Campy triple-->double recommendations?

thew
02-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Campy newbie here hoping to tap into the paceline's collective expertise. Please excuse me if the answers to these questions are obvious!

I picked a ten-speed Record TI triple group up for an upcoming build. I couldn't say no to the price, but I'd really prefer a double. Is there any reason I can't just swap the triple crankset for a double and adjust the front derailleur limit screws accordingly?

A follow-up question: I'd just as soon stay away from ultratorque cranks--they seem a bit intimidating to work on. Did campagnolo ever make a square taper compact or semi-compact double, or are there cranks from other manufacturers that would be a good aesthetic and mechanical match for a record group?

Many thanks!

jemdet
02-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Campy made a square taper compact but only in carbon AFAIK. Had big problems with the pedal inserts coming loose. Happened to me :(

Dave
02-29-2020, 09:19 AM
Ultra-torque is not difficult at all. The cups screw in just like any other. The drive side crank is mounted first and the retainer clip installed. The wavy washer goes into the other cup, then the non drive crank. A 10mm hex wrench is needed to tighten the hirth joint bolt. It's best to have a 10mm hex wrench on a 3/8 drive socket, with a short extension and a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolt.

You can get a Centaur or Potenza ultra-torque crank with a silver finish to go with your older parts that are probably silver.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_300_Technical%20manual%20-%20ultra%20torque%20crankset_11s_Campagnolo_Rev03_ 06_19_ENG.pdf

IFRider
02-29-2020, 09:30 AM
I have a double compact, Athena alloy with square taper. Mine is compact torque and was hard to find when I bought (I ended up with 170mm insead of 172.5mm). Similiar to this set with a nicer finish ..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Veloce-10-speed-CT-Compact-crankset-chainset-170-mm-50-34-rings-VGC/312996001817?hash=item48e003f819:g:BZYAAOSwkkxeR7-~

Campy made a square taper compact but only in carbon AFAIK. Had big problems with the pedal inserts coming loose. Happened to me :(

CO_Hoya
02-29-2020, 09:32 AM
To piggyback on this thread, what are the options for Campy compact cranksets, preferably with:
- 5 bolt arms
- Silver rings
- Square taper to match 102mm BB
- Record
in about that order of priority

I have a Record 10 Group with a 135 BCD crankset and would like to keep using it in spite of my aging body. Was planning on switching to 13-29 cassette, but could use a bit more help for the foothills here.

Ken Robb
02-29-2020, 09:47 AM
I've had both double and triple Campy groups and I preferred the triple. For most of my riding I was in the 42 middle ring which gave a perfect chainline. The 52 was a nice "overdrive" for higher speeds under ideal conditions and the 30 was welcome for climbing where I need all the help I can get. I suggest trying the triple before assuming that you won't like it.

choke
02-29-2020, 10:28 AM
To piggyback on this thread, what are the options for Campy compact cranksets, preferably with:
- 5 bolt arms
- Silver rings
- Record

I have a Record 10 Group with a 135 BCD crankset and would like to keep using it in spite of my aging body. Was planning on switching to 13-29 cassette, but could use a bit more help for the foothills here.A Campy MTB crank. :) They use standard 110/74 rings and you may be able to get away with a 102 spindle.

This is a Centaur MTB crank on a 102 BB. It's a really close fit to the BB shell on the drive side but it has been fine for several years. I think that a Phil Wood in a 105mm would be about perfect though.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/hh1.JPG

bfd
02-29-2020, 10:35 AM
- 5 bolt arms
- Silver rings
- Record

I have a Record 10 Group with a 135 BCD crankset and would like to keep using it in spite of my aging body. Was planning on switching to 13-29 cassette, but could use a bit more help for the foothills here.

From around 2004 to about 2006, Campy made a silver alloy 110bcd double crankset for both Centaur and Veloce groups. I think the crankarms were the same but the Centaur had better Record-level rings. Not sure if it will work with 102mm bb. And they’re getting harder to find so expect to pay more. Good Luck!

The Centaur CT looks like this:

https://www.yellowjersey.org/CENCOMPC.JPG

Black Dog
02-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Campy newbie here hoping to tap into the paceline's collective expertise. Please excuse me if the answers to these questions are obvious!

I picked a ten-speed Record TI triple group up for an upcoming build. I couldn't say no to the price, but I'd really prefer a double. Is there any reason I can't just swap the triple crankset for a double and adjust the front derailleur limit screws accordingly?

A follow-up question: I'd just as soon stay away from ultratorque cranks--they seem a bit intimidating to work on. Did campagnolo ever make a square taper compact or semi-compact double, or are there cranks from other manufacturers that would be a good aesthetic and mechanical match for a record group?

Many thanks!

If you are looking to let go of the triple crank let me know. I have a mirage compact (square taper) that I could let go as part of a trade.

CO_Hoya
02-29-2020, 12:02 PM
A Campy MTB crank. :) They use standard 110/74 rings and you may be able to get away with a 102 spindle.

This is a Centaur MTB crank on a 102 BB. It's a really close fit to the BB shell on the drive side but it has been fine for several years. I think that a Phil Wood in a 105mm would be about perfect though.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/hh1.JPG

Thanks, this is exactly the look I want.

Is the Centaur MTB crankset marked separately than road, or it just due to the 110/74 rings (touring BCD)?

CO_Hoya
02-29-2020, 12:06 PM
From around 2004 to about 2006, Campy made a silver alloy 110bcd double crankset for both Centaur and Veloce groups. I think the crankarms were the same but the Centaur had better Record-level rings. Not sure if it will work with 102mm bb. And they’re getting harder to find so expect to pay more. Good Luck!

The Centaur CT looks like this:

Okay, looks like some more research to check BB axle.

Of course, I'm a cheapskate so I'll just keep my eyes open at the co-op and local CL for now - no rush.

Thanks!

ultraman6970
02-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Op you can go UT and even potenza PT, or IMO anything you want to put because campagnolo can shift anything, so if you have some other brand crankset moving around just put that one and good to go, even shimano.

zmudshark
02-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Centaur/Veloce doubles use a 111mm BB. Triples use a 115.5.

Ralph
02-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Triples use a 111 on seat tubes 28.6 and usually 32 also. Same as doubles. Larger seat tube triples take 115.5

BTW....I think my square taper new in box silver Campy Comp Triple (top of the line at that time)
170 arms 30-40-50 triple is still for sale in classified. Haven't freshened the ad in a long time.

zmudshark
02-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Triples use a 111 on seat tubes 28.6 and usually 32 also. Same as doubles. Larger seat tube triples take 115.5

BTW....I think my square taper new in box silver Campy Comp Triple (top of the line at that time)
170 arms 30-40-50 triple is still for sale in classified. Haven't freshened the ad in a long time.
Thanks for clarifying. I was going by the literature.

I only have Record/Chorus ST triples ;).

Ralph
02-29-2020, 04:51 PM
I have used the Record/Chorus ST triples. Really nice cranks. They use the hard to find 111 asymmetrical offset axles (+3). The left arm on those is same as doubles. So BB axle has to be offset to non drive side to make up for width of 3 rings on other side. (Double takes a 102)

They fixed that issue on the last generation (late 9 speed/10 speed) Centaur based triples....Comp Triple, Centaur , and Veloce, etc. They put a "dog leg" in the non drive arm to make them equal (symmetrical) both sides, that arm is NOT same as doubles, and can use the 111 symmetrical BB....that Campy used for years under some various names.

zmudshark
02-29-2020, 05:28 PM
I have used the Record/Chorus ST triples. Really nice cranks. They use the hard to find 111 asymmetrical offset axles (+3). The left arm on those is same as doubles. So BB axle has to be offset to non drive side to make up for width of 3 rings on other side. (Double takes a 102)

They fixed that issue on the last generation (late 9 speed/10 speed) Centaur based triples....Comp Triple, Centaur , and Veloce, etc. They put a "dog leg" in the non drive arm to make them equal (symmetrical) both sides, that arm is NOT same as doubles, and can use the 111 symmetrical BB....that Campy used for years under some various names.

That's a great explanation, it explains the BB in my drawer. It's always good to learn something. Thanks, Ralph!

Ralph
02-29-2020, 07:27 PM
I'm still a fan of triples. Don't get the un love....they work so good. I don't need one around where I live, but still have one on my daily rider road bike. I know it adds about 100 grams weight VS similar double (WOW), but gives me better chain line whether in small, middle, or big ring. And when riding by myself, mostly use the middle 42 with a close ration 13-26 in rear (or 12-30 usually when traveling). It's flat to gentle hills around here, and I like lots of gears close together. And I think they shift so good.....if set up right with rings designed to work together. I do use a double on the CAAD 10 I use for pack riding with my geriatric buddies....big ring mostly....they go faster as a group than you might expect.

It may sound strange to some of you....but if I lived in hilly area or mountains....where riding is mostly straight up or straight down…..would probably use a double....one of the 32-48 (or 30-46) versions with whatever in rear I need. Don't really need close gears for that riding in mountains.....gears 1 tooth apart sometime a pain on a mountain. I ride occasionally in very hilly NC foothills. If you just need some low gears to go up with, and tall gears to go down with....that's easy to achieve.

Even though I'm an old man now....my use is kinda like what Campy had in mind when they named them "Racing Triples". Basically I ride a 42-52 with a 30 in front of it for starting off at lights, some small hills etc. Always liked a 42-52. Probably would like a 40-50 with a 28 in front of it also...as I eventually get feeble.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2020, 06:29 AM

I picked a ten-speed Record TI triple group up for an upcoming build. I couldn't say no to the price, but I'd really prefer a double. 1)Is there any reason I can't just swap the triple crankset for a double and adjust the front derailleur limit screws accordingly?

A follow-up question: I'd just as soon stay away from ultratorque cranks--they seem a bit intimidating to work on.2) Did campagnolo ever make a square taper compact or semi-compact double, or are there cranks from other manufacturers that would be a good aesthetic and mechanical match for a record group?

Many thanks!

1)nope, the beauty of 10s Campag..The left lever is triple AND doble compatible PLUS, the fder will shift the double just fine even with an otherwise 'triple' front der.

2)As has been mentioned, MANY compact, ST cranks from Campag. Both aluminum(Veloce, Centaur) and carbon ones.

BUT, Ultra Torque VERY easy to work on. Tool for the cups and big 10mm allen..Many more UT cranks 'out there. Last ST was 2006....
Campy made a square taper compact but only in carbon AFAIK.

Nope

AND as has been mentioned for the OP, there really isn't any 'payback' in keeping the triple.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2020, 06:35 AM
- 5 bolt arms
- Silver rings
- Record

Only square taper compact that used 102mm BB spindle was Record and Chorus, and they both were carbon only and '4 arm', with fifth behind crank arm.

5 arm were aluminum(Centaur, Veloce) but used a 111mm BB spindle.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2020, 06:38 AM

Is the Centaur MTB crankset marked separately than road, or it just due to the 110/74 rings (touring BCD)?

Hard to tell as there are no names, etc, on the crank BUT last made in about 1990 or so..good luck finding one.

Centaur and Veloce(even Mirage, altho black) are not hard to find.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2020, 06:40 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I was going by the literature.

I only have Record/Chorus ST triples ;).

Record/Chorus triples used a specific to them, 111mm, asymmetric BB for any seat tube diameter.

choke
03-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Is the Centaur MTB crankset marked separately than road, or it just due to the 110/74 rings (touring BCD)?As Peter said, it doesn't have any model name markings, just a Campy wheeled logo. And as he also stated, they are long out of production. However, recently a seller on eBay from the UK has put up several - I purchased one and he has listed at least two others.

There are also Euclid, Icarus and Record OR MTB cranks. Icarus and Record OR use a spline system for the inner and small rings so with those you can pretty much forget finding replacement rings (they are steel though so they should last a while). I don't think a Euclid crank would ever fit on a 102mm spindle.

Black Dog
03-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Sorry of I am pushing the thread of course but all of the Campy Triple compatibility questions have me wondering.

Does this crank take require a 111mm asymmetric or 111mm symmetrical BB?

It is a Racing Triple. However it has an Athena NDS arm.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bvcAAOSwzwxeQGnZ/s-l1600.jpg

Ralph
03-01-2020, 01:10 PM
The first 8 speed Campy Racing Triples used an Athena 111 symmetrical BB. It was a Phil Wood type cartridge BB without a fixed cup on either side. Could adjust some side to side. I had one. Still use one of those BB on a bike with a 2006 Centaur ST double crank.

The NDS arm was the same as a double (no dog leg like later ones), and probably several Campy crank arms would work OK. Your right leg pedaled out further than left. That was fixed a little later when the Record/Chorus triple cranks came with asymmetrical axles, and the Centaur based ones got a dog leg in NDS arm to make equal both sides.

Not sure what you have there. But probably same as a stock 8 speed or early 9 speed Racing Triple. Looks like 8 speed. Don't recall if my 8 speed Racing triple with Athena BB said Athena on NDS arm.

thew
03-01-2020, 01:55 PM
1)nope, the beauty of 10s Campag..The left lever is triple AND doble compatible PLUS, the fder will shift the double just fine even with an otherwise 'triple' front der.

2)As has been mentioned, MANY compact, ST cranks from Campag. Both aluminum(Veloce, Centaur) and carbon ones.

BUT, Ultra Torque VERY easy to work on. Tool for the cups and big 10mm allen..Many more UT cranks 'out there. Last ST was 2006....

Nope

AND as has been mentioned for the OP, there really isn't any 'payback' in keeping the triple.

Op you can go UT and even potenza PT, or IMO anything you want to put because campagnolo can shift anything, so if you have some other brand crankset moving around just put that one and good to go, even shimano.

Thanks! Sounds like I've got some options, both campy and not.

thew
03-01-2020, 01:57 PM
If you are looking to let go of the triple crank let me know. I have a mirage compact (square taper) that I could let go as part of a trade.

Black Dog, thanks for offering. The group is supposed to arrive on Monday and I want to see what kind of shape its in. I may send you a PM about a trade later in the week.

thew
03-01-2020, 01:58 PM
As Peter said, it doesn't have any model name markings, just a Campy wheeled logo. And as he also stated, they are long out of production. However, recently a seller on eBay from the UK has put up several - I purchased one and he has listed at least two others.

There are also Euclid, Icarus and Record OR MTB cranks. Icarus and Record OR use a spline system for the inner and small rings so with those you can pretty much forget finding replacement rings (they are steel though so they should last a while). I don't think a Euclid crank would ever fit on a 102mm spindle.

Do you have a link to the ebay seller? Tried searching but no luck.

sg8357
03-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Op you can go UT and even potenza PT, or IMO anything you want to put because campagnolo can shift anything[snip]

True, just pulled a badly scared Alpina2 Triple off my Campy 10s bike,
replaced it with a Sugino OX-601 46/30, shifting is fine.
A bit noisy in big ring, last two big cassette cogs combo.
Using a Campy 11 speed triple front mech.
Campy 10 is the most Bobish brifter.