PDA

View Full Version : VPN-IT Question

grateful
02-29-2020, 07:28 AM
I just began using the Opera browser which has a built in VPN for privacy. I am not sure if there are differences in VPN technologies but this is a free way to keep some anonymity. Trust me, I asked my Alexa talking lightbulb and she said it was a good idea.

My issue is whenever I click a link to the latest barn find I am routed to a server in another country. Language, rights to view things, etc. are all based on the server's location.

Is there a way around this? Would it be possible to hit a server outside the US and then be re-routed to a server within the US or does that defeat the purpose of using a VPN in the first place?

yngpunk
02-29-2020, 09:56 AM
I just began using the Opera browser which has a built in VPN for privacy. I am not sure if there are differences in VPN technologies but this is a free way to keep some anonymity. Trust me, I asked my Alexa talking lightbulb and she said it was a good idea.

My issue is whenever I click a link to the latest barn find I am routed to a server in another country. Language, rights to view things, etc. are all based on the server's location.

Is there a way around this? Would it be possible to hit a server outside the US and then be re-routed to a server within the US or does that defeat the purpose of using a VPN in the first place?

Short answer is choose a different (likely paid) VPN, that lets you choose location of server you are connecting to. I suspect that with most "free" VPNs, you're stuck with wherever/whatever server it connects you to vs allowing you to choose. If you want to start bouncing your internet traffic across servers, need to look into something different...such as Tor...:eek:

echappist
02-29-2020, 10:02 AM

you pay for what you get. Paid services allow you to select a server in the U.S.

frankly, most of the time, i'm glad to be routed outside of the U.S.

choke
02-29-2020, 10:37 AM
You can at least pick a general location on Opera. Click on the VPN box and you can select "Americas".

But if you want to pick another location in the US then you do need to purchase a VPN. I use VPN Ulimited and it offers 13 different US servers.

kramnnim
02-29-2020, 07:03 PM
I use TorGuard, it’s $30/year if you use a coupon code that seems to be permanently available on slickdeals

herb5998
02-29-2020, 07:22 PM
I use IP-Vanish, helps when traveling overseas, as well when using any public WiFi, which is a rarity for me, but an added safeguard. For most of the paid services, you can also use it with your wireless router at home, so that all your devices are protected.

mudhead
03-01-2020, 10:19 PM
I’ve been a Nord VPN user for a few years now. The service is solid and give you access to their global network which makes streaming live cycling content fairly straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merlinmurph
03-02-2020, 11:48 AM
I’ve been a Nord VPN user for a few years now.

I just started using NordVPN and it seems good. You can use up to 6 devices, service is good, global servers.

uno-speedo
03-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Trust me, I asked my Alexa talking lightbulb and she said it was a good idea.

That made me chuckle.

I too use Nord for work, and it's very reliable and not too expensive.

9tubes
03-02-2020, 02:52 PM
There are two ways to deal with the server location issue:

As Choke said, you can click on Opera's VPN button next to the address and choose Americas - Asia - Europe or let Opera choose the optimal location (based upon speed).

The other option is to temporarily turn off the VPN function in Opera by clicking that VPN button.

I use more than one browser. I have one with all the settings screwed down tight for most of my browsing. But some websites don't display correctly so I use another browser when I need to (e.g. completing a purchase). I generally avoid websites that require lowered privacy settings such as access to my camera, microphone, phone list or any of that other intrusive crap that website developers think is clever these days.

I also clear the cache often. On Opera that's the menu item Opera - Clear Browsing Data, or click on the icon that looks like a clock in the left sidebar.