PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, this stinks...

duff_duffy
02-27-2020, 08:19 PM
So I hit a skunk with my car tonight. The outside of car stinks when I walk by. I hope the inside doesn’t start to smell! Anyone ever done this?

tomato coupe
02-27-2020, 08:25 PM
So I hit a skunk with my car tonight. The outside of car stinks when I walk by. I hope the inside doesn’t start to smell! Anyone ever done this?

No, but the dog and I have both been sprayed. Liquid soap, peroxide, and baking soda make a concoction that will neutralize the offending chemical.

robt57
02-27-2020, 08:31 PM
IIRC, it is high PH and you gotta hit it with Acid, lemon tomato etc.

There is also this stuff call XO that I think will mostly abate it's offensiveness...

zmudshark
02-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Vinegar may help. I have found Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover to be useful on my dog, who seems to love skunks.

duff_duffy
02-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Fingers crossed...sprayed it with bunch of vinegar, soap, etc...then took to get washed. Man, I smell like skunk tonight. This sucks. Oh well, at least I can blame my stink on something.

pjm
02-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Just about every cat my family has had over the years has learned about skunks the hard way.

GregL
02-27-2020, 09:23 PM
No, but the dog and I have both been sprayed. Liquid soap, peroxide, and baking soda make a concoction that will neutralize the offending chemical.
^^^This^^^ Thanks to this knucklehead, I’m a self-taught de-skunk expert. Three skunkings and counting...

Greg

Ken Robb
02-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Massengill douche---really!

Matthew
02-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Imagine how the skunk feels about your encounter!

Blue Jays
02-27-2020, 10:10 PM
Our beloved family dog got sprayed at point-blank range years ago.
It was so concentrated the fur on her chest was discolored for months!
It literally had to grow out, it was a stain we couldn't wash out of her.

Good luck with the car.
Don't inadvertently damage the finish in your zeal to scrub the paint. It won't stink forever.

CSTRider
02-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Reminds me of our last golden (skunk) retriever ... let him out in the back yard for his final pee of the night, and out of the corner of my eye saw a moving shadow. Dog immediately bee-lined for it, with me in hot pursuit, middle of winter, barefoot. Mr Skunk heard me yelling at the dog, assumed the position and waited for dog to get within 3 feet, with me directly behind pulling on the dog's tail.

Bingo, bingo! :eek: My eyes and lungs burned so bad, but I couldn't imagine what our dog felt like with a nose 1000X more sensitive. Threw out all my clothes, grabbed dog and took him into the shower. Couldn't get the skunk smell off *my* skin for a month, and our dog didn't smell right for 6 months. Every time he got wet, it was horrible. And yeah, we tried all the internet remedies - tomato juice, vinegar, peroxide, baking soda, special soaps, etc. About 2 months after he finally started to smell "normal" - he got skunked again. Lather, rinse, repeat ... some dogs are just skunk magnets.

grateful
02-28-2020, 05:25 AM
My parents dog got popped by a skunk years ago, He also made it back into the house (the dog). The skunk smell was unbearable and was now having a stink party in all of the carpets. They did everything including bringing in some oxygen ionizer laser weapon to eradicate the offending aroma.

Fast forward 25 years. Whenever I go to their house I catch a wiff of skunk. it is subtle and my parents no longer smell the odor. I do.

YMMV.
Brad

duff_duffy
02-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Happy to report 99% of odor gone...stunk last night but pouring water, vinegar, dish soap solution over wheels and underside of car several times, going through car wash 2x, keeping windows open all night appears to have worked very well. Will see if it passes the spouse test later today, she smells much better than I do in both interpretations of this sentence.

bikinchris
02-28-2020, 10:25 AM
My brother shot a skunk and it sprayed the barn. Took the paint off.

cash05458
02-28-2020, 10:36 AM
When I was in high school went outside one night to ride bike to store...saw what I thought was a neighborhood cat at my feet and bent down to stroke him...the skunk drenched me! Dripping from face, burning eyes...went back inside and took off the jacket I was wearing and put it onto a formica topped table to shower etc...noticed later the spray had actually burned into the formica and melted it abit...strong stuff!

YesNdeed
02-28-2020, 11:55 AM

This. One application to the dog took 90something% of the odor away.

pdmtong
02-28-2020, 01:18 PM
our small house is U-shaped with an interior patio area. was summer so all three sides facing the patio had the french doors wide open. heard a bunch of noise and to our horror our alaskan malamute has just fought a skunk in the middle of said patio. it took about 5 seconds before the dog and entire house was inundated with that stench since basically no point is more than 20' from the source.

The wounded skunk is now lethargically laying there - I put a garbage can over it not really knowing what else to do. Animal Control comes out to remove it and the first thing the woman ranger says is "well, at least I don't have to shoot it". Really?

It stunk for months despite the "remedies".

The malaumte also killed an opossum once. while the marsupial was laying on the lawn my wife asked "is it dead?" to which I replied "no, it's playing ________" ar ar ar ar...my one chance in life to time that joke perfectly.

Tony T
02-28-2020, 03:57 PM
https://y.yarn.co/d1d5d880-770e-4849-823e-473c46c6165d_text.gif

monkeybanana86
02-29-2020, 10:03 PM
Having never been sprayed these stories are very entertaining.

I hope your car will be okay but apparently it could be way worse!