PDA

View Full Version : looking for heart rate, speed, distance, maybe cadence...

picstloup
02-27-2020, 06:30 AM
I think that's all I need, but holy cow, there's so much out there now, all this gps stuff, i mean wahoo, garmin, hammerhead...i'm dizzy from research...

years ago i had a Polar strapped around my handlebars for heart rate, first on a foam donut type thingy, then a plastic thingy...a separate sigma/cateye/trek or the like for the rest...

I want/need the heart rate cause of cardiac problems...would also like speed, distance, maybe cadence...i won't ever use a power meter...

I will always have my smartphone with me for emergency stuff. Again, cause of my cardiac problems.

Not really sure i want or need gps, maps, etc...from years ago I have routes down pretty good in the area i live in, although i guess maps couldn't hurt...but dang, 300 bucks/euros for a bike computer? even more? has the world gone nuts? maybe I'm just el cheapo...gps back then was xeroxed paper maps with me outlining in red the route for the day :banana:

would really prefer no wires...i'm tired of wrapping wires...

any suggestions, please?...

thanks
M

example : I see Wiggle has a wahoo bolt with cadence and speed, some gps ability if i want it, maps, for 279 euros.

guess i would have to add a compatible chest strap monitor to give me heart rate?

I look at all this does and it seems like a bit overkill for me...

AngryScientist
02-27-2020, 06:51 AM
if you dont need gps, you should look at the wahoo elmnt mini.

they look to be on sale for 49 bucks these days, you would have to buy a wahoo chest strap, but that should be a good basic computer.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers/elemnt-mini

Dave
02-27-2020, 08:08 AM
I use the cheap cateye strada triple wireless that has cadence, heart rate, speed, time, distance.

A lot of them are only double wireless, without heart rate.

The latest model is CC-RD430DW, for around $100.

I don't need GPS. I ride the same roads and don't stray more than 25 miles from home.

loxx0050
02-27-2020, 08:26 AM
I know you specifically state you don't want the GPS (multiple times) but you also more than once pointed out cardiac concerns.

One feature I'm finding I like more (and my wife) is the Garmin livetrack feature. Once I start riding and as long as my smartphone is with me and connected (via bluetooth) if notifies my wife with a link where she can watch in real time where I'm at (both on a map and with my ride stats). She really doesn't care about the ride stats but if I get lost or something happens where I would need her to pick me up she can pinpoint exactly where to find me and GPS it to me. Something to consider just in case. While not necessary 99% of the time it is a nice feature. If I tell my wife I'm going to be gone for say an hour and it takes longer she can check in on me and see where I am and if I'm moving or not. Newer Garmins also have incident detection and can notify people in your emergency contact list if it thinks you crashed.

You say you can just use your phone but if you are having a true emergency and end up crashing or something you probably won't be able to make a call on your own.

One time I went for a run and was planning on going for about 5 miles or so. Ended up twisting my ankle badly not even 1 mile into it because I decided to try and run through rough patch by carefully placing my feet in between some nasty broken patches in the path (typically I'd just go around it). Ended up slowly limping home by myself because I didn't bring my phone (it was that bad and took me 30 minutes or so to limp nearly a mile home). Wife had no idea either because I eventually got home around the time I typically would take for a 5 mile run (including my short warm up/cool down walks)

Ozz
02-27-2020, 08:30 AM
I've ditched the dedicated HR Monitor and just use an app on my phone with a HR strap.

I've had good luck with Polar over the years, so I use an H7 ($60) or an H10 ($90) strap (Bluetooth) and pair it to my phone.

Polar has an app for tracking HR (Polar Beat) that has lots of sports to choose.. Runtastic Road Bike tracks some HR data and also does a GPS map of your ride tracking speed, time, distance and elevation. Strava does pretty much the same with a social media twist to it.....

There is a free version of Runtastic, but if you pay for it to get the Pro version, you get rid of the ads that play at start up. They also sell some sensors so you can track cadence if you want....never looked at them so not sure how much. I believe they are owned by Adidas....

I just start up the apps and put the phone in my pocket. Review results when finished riding....

weiwentg
02-27-2020, 09:01 AM
If you want a budget GPS capable computer, I hear people have had good experiences with Lezyne. The Macro Easy GPS (https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/gps-devices-computers/products/macro-easy-gps) has an $80 MSRP. No affiliation and I don't personally use them, though.

madsciencenow
02-27-2020, 09:11 AM
If you want a budget GPS capable computer, I hear people have had good experiences with Lezyne. The Macro Easy GPS (https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/gps-devices-computers/products/macro-easy-gps) has an $80 MSRP. No affiliation and I don't personally use them, though.

You can get Lezyne’s that do nearly everything the big-boy Garmin does for about half the price and the reviews seem pretty good. I have the Garmin but if I was in the market for something new and didn’t need the Varia 510 support the Lezyne devices would be my first look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efixler
02-27-2020, 09:27 AM
You can get Lezyne’s that do nearly everything the big-boy Garmin does for about half the price and the reviews seem pretty good.

I use the Lezyne. You get what you pay for.

It's fine for recording rides and uploading to Strava. I use it sometimes with an Ant cadence sensor and that works too. Battery life is good.

Navigation is flaky, setup is a little convoluted, and the app is pretty second-rate. The software updater for the device used to work on MacOS, but hasn't since last year. Luckily, whatever is in the newest firmware, I don't need.

It's been a good within it's constraints, and TBH I couldn't justify the price of the Wahoo when I bought it, but when this one dies I won't be getting another.

It's true that the reviews tend to be pretty good, with some exceptions. For me, many of the irritating issues surfaced either over time or had to do with reliability; maybe the reviewers didn't use it for long enough to get there.

Old School
02-27-2020, 09:41 AM
I have several of these, and the Wahoo is the best by far.
I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, but it is quite unfortunate how much it costs.

I have seen ones sold recently here as others upgrade tp the later Wahoo.

FlashUNC
02-27-2020, 09:50 AM
If you have heart issues and you're concerned about something happening out on the road, the Live Track feature on both Garmin and Wahoos would provide some peace of mind for friends and family to follow you on rides, and know where you are should something happen.

That alone is worth the case for GPS I think.

C40_guy
02-27-2020, 11:39 AM
If you have heart issues and you're concerned about something happening out on the road, the Live Track feature on both Garmin and Wahoos would provide some peace of mind for friends and family to follow you on rides, and know where you are should something happen.

Kinda like the "OH S!!T" button on (some) handheld marine radios, which I'd consider mandatory for kayaking in unprotected waters...

cgolvin
02-27-2020, 11:54 AM
This might still be more than you'd like to spend, but if you know any RCC members they can buy a Wahoo bundle that includes BOLT, speed, cadence, and HR for $279.99, which includes shipping (but not tax).

Alan
02-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Look at how you control and manage the computers. The Wahoo app is very easy and a good way to start for most people. The app controls the setup of the computer so easy to change pages and load routes as needed. I love the integration with Ridewithgps. All you do is add a route to your ridewithgps site and the road syncs on your Wahoo Bolt, Roam, or Elemnt.

I like the Bolt which I have used for 1.5 years but would probably buy a Roam if I was starting new.

Alan

Old School
02-27-2020, 03:08 PM

^ What he said.

In fact, the Wahoo tracking app can broadcast your heart rate.

picstloup
02-28-2020, 10:36 AM
lox0050, flash, etc. who pointed out the benefit for me of gps, thanks...i think you are all right and i need to consider it as part of my purchase.

Now. I started reading, and will continue over the weekend, about strava summit and their 'safety' pack with Beacon for about 24 euros per year. And I'm sure you all know there's Komoot, ride with gps, and probably more. Just need to see if i actually 'need' them with the wahoo bolt. I read last night, this morning about Live Track, and something else like it but I forgot what it's called.

Read the Bolt has a free two month trial with strava summit. Free trials for other strava type software as well.

Read that the Polar v650 also has a free trial periods too. That computer looks interesting, but is only blue tooth compatible, not ant+. So I am learning a lot.

It does seem a lot of users are happy to abandon Garmin gps units for Wahoo or Lezyne or or,...:eek:

there's a lot to compare...i will wait a week or so, do some reading, maybe ask another question or two here if need be and then take the plunge...really guys, thanks for the help...

m

picstloup
02-28-2020, 10:39 AM
This might still be more than you'd like to spend, but if you know any RCC members they can buy a Wahoo bundle that includes BOLT, speed, cadence, and HR for $279.99, which includes shipping (but not tax).

Hi. Thanks for this. Not sure what RCC is. But. Wiggle has this bundle for 279 euros right now. That is tax included for me here in France. Not sure how long it will be available.

Need a few more days of research before i buy anything. Just discovering the connections between the gps computers and sites/services like strava or komoot or well, you know.

thanks again
m

kppolich
02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Apple watch would be my recommendation for a running/cycling watch that has built in HR stuff that will alert you before something catastrophic happens. I believe they can also pair with Bluetooth sensors for speed/cadence and have built in GPS. They can also have cellular enabled so you could run or ride without your phone and still be in contact.

Do you have ANT+ or Bluetooth sensors for HR, Speed, Cadence?

Most of the newer computers handle both and have GPS for distance, maps, elevation, etc.

Used Garmin Edge 520's can be had for $100, but if you will also be looking to purchase the HR, Speed, and Cadence sensors they do come in a bundle.

Questions:

Are you riding only?
Are you riding alone?
Do you have sensors already?
Budget?

bpiecuch
02-28-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm using an older Garmin Edge 500, and it does everything you're asking for.
I believe all the older, basic Garmin's will meet your needs. 200, 500, 800, etc... Should be relatively cheap nowadays. Their only drawback (IMHO) is that they don't download data wirelessly, you need to plug them in. They will sync with your heartrate strap, and use GPS for speed and tracking. No other sensors required if you don't want them.

(I'm shocked at how expensive the "basic" Edge 130 is now.)

I ride with my cellphone in my back pocket, so it's not convenient for anything except emergencies. I also don't want my cellphone cantilevered off some flimsy mount.

tuxbailey
02-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Thanks to this thread I learned about Garmin live track.

torquer
02-28-2020, 01:35 PM
if you dont need gps, you should look at the wahoo elmnt mini.

they look to be on sale for 49 bucks these days, you would have to buy a wahoo chest strap, but that should be a good basic computer.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers/elemnt-mini
I bought an Elemnt Mini because I already had the cadence and HR sensors for my Kickr. I think the speed sensor was included with the Mini.
In any case, I opened the Elemnt app on my phone and saw a log-in screen for the first time. I hit "skip," and get this message: "A Wahoo cloud account will be required to use this app starting March 2020. Don't worry, all your workouts and settings will be saved."
Well, I am worried, not about saved settings, but about one more tech company selling my profile and whatever other information they can vacuum up from my workouts. Can't wait for the pop-up ads for weight-loss/weight gain remedies, T boosters and other snake oil on its way.
Or maybe I'm just overly sensitive since reading Roger McNamee's critique of Big Tech/Big Data.

picstloup
03-01-2020, 04:48 AM
Apple watch would be my recommendation for a running/cycling watch that has built in HR stuff that will alert you before something catastrophic happens. I believe they can also pair with Bluetooth sensors for speed/cadence and have built in GPS. They can also have cellular enabled so you could run or ride without your phone and still be in contact.

Do you have ANT+ or Bluetooth sensors for HR, Speed, Cadence?

Most of the newer computers handle both and have GPS for distance, maps, elevation, etc.

Used Garmin Edge 520's can be had for $100, but if you will also be looking to purchase the HR, Speed, and Cadence sensors they do come in a bundle.

Questions:

Are you riding only?
Are you riding alone?
Do you have sensors already?
Budget?

Hi. I am starting from scratch. So the Wahoo Bolt bundle looks ok, if a bit expensive. But often I read good reviews about quality and ease of use, so those are both good.

Will be riding alone, once I start, for the rest of this year. Taking it slow, build, then maybe next year look to join my old club, La Fleche du Midi here in Montpellier.

I will check out your suggestion for the apple watch route. I have an apple watch 3. Planned to carry my iphone se with me. Don't have a plan for the watch.

I've used it mainly for walking and now, recently, stationary bike in the gym as i prepare to hit the road by mid/late March,...maybe early april as i have a meet with cardiologist 7 april, so might just wait to verify where I am.

picstloup
03-01-2020, 05:03 AM
Thanks to this thread I learned about Garmin live track.

It's why I asked here on paceline. Always good info. People helpful. I started feeling overwhelmed reading online about all the brands, models, functions, 3rd party software. It's really a lot to take in.

Slowly getting my tommaso ready to roll. More importantly, getting my body ready to roll. It has been a long time.

Was able to fit a new pair of conti 4 season 28mm tires on the bike. Changed pedals to new time xpro 10. So much lighter than my old equipes. And also had to buy new, bigger, sidi mega shoes. They also make a huge difference for weight, but so much more comfy.

I had trouble closing the top latch and velcros as well. I think it's due to some water accumulation around ankles. Went from size 44 to 45. Excellent now. Besides. My old shoes were about 20 years old and 10 years old respectively. Had metal inserts in them to accomodate my time metal cleats. Added a lot of weight. Also, not easy to walk in.

The new 3 hole time cleats, and straight to shoe combination, a godsend. So much weight saved. Easier to walk in the new cleats. And dang, the shoes are comfy.

Living. Learning. A process. Man. Even bought a new floor pump to replace my twenty five year zefal double shot. Years ago had to change the head on it. Wasn't feeling confident about accurate pressure readings. Now I have a new Park Tool pump. Seems good. But that zefal was a great pump.

It's a new dawn :)

picstloup
03-01-2020, 05:13 AM
I'm using an older Garmin Edge 500, and it does everything you're asking for.
I believe all the older, basic Garmin's will meet your needs. 200, 500, 800, etc... Should be relatively cheap nowadays. Their only drawback (IMHO) is that they don't download data wirelessly, you need to plug them in. They will sync with your heartrate strap, and use GPS for speed and tracking. No other sensors required if you don't want them.

(I'm shocked at how expensive the "basic" Edge 130 is now.)

I ride with my cellphone in my back pocket, so it's not convenient for anything except emergencies. I also don't want my cellphone cantilevered off some flimsy mount.

I am seeing a garmin 520 plus for 169 euros, plus 69 euros for cadence/speed sensors on a site called alltricks. It seems capable of a lot. Would also need a ant+ or blue tooth chest strap to keep track of heart rate. Haven't researched what those cost. Hmm, wonder if a polar strap would work?...

Would need to verify Live Track and/or compatibility with strava to have security/safety package. Keep my wife informed in case something bad happens while i'm out on the road.

I will also have my cellphone with me at all times in back pocket. Or maybe in small bag on frame. Not sure yet about the details.

flying
03-01-2020, 12:33 PM
You might take a look at Bryton
https://www.brytonsport.com/#/products

I have been using their Rider 410 for about a year now no complaints.
as I don't use navigation & this model has a nice sized screen 2.3" & 8 page display possible.
I like it has all the basics + Heart Rate, Altitude, grade% etc etc
It can also connect Strava etc
Battery life for has been incredible with 25+ hours between charges the average

Price was $89

picstloup
03-03-2020, 06:56 AM
You might take a look at Bryton
https://www.brytonsport.com/#/products

I have been using their Rider 410 for about a year now no complaints.
as I don't use navigation & this model has a nice sized screen 2.3" & 8 page display possible.
I like it has all the basics + Heart Rate, Altitude, grade% etc etc
It can also connect Strava etc
Battery life for has been incredible with 25+ hours between charges the average

Price was $89

I will check this out. Thanks.

Old School
03-03-2020, 09:31 AM
If you are in Europe, and need an HR strap for cheap, my favorite is Sigma.

Also, something I just thought of:
If you have had a heart episode, then why not wear a watch with HR all the time instead?

d_douglas
03-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Reviving this as I am in a similar situation. I dont want a HR computer mounted on my bike with the required chest strap - I want a really simple watch that I can wear all the time (sorry Omega, its only temporary).

I want some simple way (Ant+, I have heard) to connect to a small computer that shows speed, cadence and HR - nothing complicated.

I havent had a computer on my Speedvagen and it is ten years old :)

RWL2222
05-03-2020, 01:36 PM
This is a good thread! I see Varia as a necessity now and will probably start with the lowest unit that will accommodate it.

thirdgenbird
05-03-2020, 01:43 PM
I just ordered a 130 to replace my 500. Loved the 500 but wanted to upload without a PC. Now it’s got me strongly considering the varia.

RoosterCogset
05-03-2020, 01:44 PM
How much better are the livetrack or wahoo options to basic free phone apps like the RoadID app ?

jc031699
05-03-2020, 03:24 PM
CAT EYE - Stealth EVO Plus Wireless Bike Computer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4HXLE0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZHYREbWZXDF7V