PDA

View Full Version : "Miles from Nowhere" review

Bruce H.
12-21-2003, 07:51 PM
I want to thank BumblebeeDave for his comment about this book during the Key West thread several weeks ago. Since I am moving there late spring, I purchased a copy from B & N.
The book is a wonderful and insightful read for anyone interested in cycling. I am not finished yet but I have laughed till I cried and learned so many things about cycling as well as human nature.
On the down side, I may have to find a new passion if anything said about riding in S. Florida, especially the Keys is true.

If you can find a copy (was written in the 80's, take it home and enjoy the experience this married couple had!
Brue H.

Kevin
12-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Bruce,

The book sounds great. Can you give me the name of the author and publishing house?

Kevin

glaucman
12-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Miles From Nowhere

by Barbara Savage

pub by The Mountaineers

ISBN 0-89886-109-8

Kevin
12-22-2003, 07:29 AM
glaucman,

Thanks.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2003, 08:11 PM
. . . Glad I could help. See what I said about their description of Florida riding? Makes it sound like riding through the gates of Hell!

Note that there is a bit of tragedy in this book, too, since Barbara Savage was killed while out training not long after publication. Every time I have re-read the book I have hoped her husband is still able to treasure the memories of this incredible trip. Given the rep of Americans abroad nowadays, this trip, with them riding through all those Arab countries, sounds like a real fantasy.

Also, that highway down the keys sounds like it would make one heck of a neat crit race if they could get it closed off.

BBDave

Bruce H.
12-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Good to see you back with us.
Did I read that you were into little ivories? I am as well.
My wife is already down in Key West. Lot's of bikes there but few if any above K W on the highway.
Bruce H.