PDA

View Full Version : Di2 Ultegra charging query.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 10:15 AM
I have a bike with Ultegra Di2. The battery is one of the stick one stuck in the seat tube. I purchased it here from an awesome forum member and he told me to simply plug the charging connector into either shifter to charge the battery.

So last night I plugged it into the right side/rear shifter. Took it out this morning and absolute zero juice was transferred as the components didn't even pretend to be charged or moved.

I swapped it to the left/front shifter and removed a stopper "plug" in the shifter, where I then plugged the charger in.

When I get home I am going to see if it worked. There are no other places for me to plug the charger in that I can see.

Oh the battery level checker and system control box shows no lights lighting up.

So two questions:

1. Can I actually charge the battery from the shifters and if so, does a specific side matter?

2. Knowing nothing about Di2 (I have have Campy on my other bikes and no I do not care what brand I ride. Campy just fits my hands best.) What type of battery do I need to replace the current one? it is 10 speed, but don't know if that impacts the battery.

Appreciate any help and guidance. If you need more info from me then I will try to get it to you.

thanks

madsciencenow
02-26-2020, 10:22 AM
I usually charge through the a junction box. There’s a small door on the left hand side (left orientated from your saddle position) that opens for charging assuming you have the stem mounted box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echappist
02-26-2020, 10:24 AM
I have a bike with Ultegra Di2. The battery is one of the stick one stuck in the seat tube. I purchased it here from an awesome forum member and he told me to simply plug the charging connector into either shifter to charge the battery.

So last night I plugged it into the right side/rear shifter. Took it out this morning and absolute zero juice was transferred as the components didn't even pretend to be charged or moved.

I swapped it to the left/front shifter and removed a stopper "plug" in the shifter, where I then plugged the charger in.

When I get home I am going to see if it worked. There are no other places for me to plug the charger in that I can see.

Oh the battery level checker and system control box shows no lights lighting up.

So two questions:

1. Can I actually charge the battery from the shifters and if so, does a specific side matter?

2. Knowing nothing about Di2 (I have have Campy on my other bikes and no I do not care what brand I ride. Campy just fits my hands best.) What type of battery do I need to replace the current one? it is 10 speed, but don't know if that impacts the battery.

Appreciate any help and guidance. If you need more info from me then I will try to get it to you.

thanks

10 speed or 11 speed doesn't matter. It'll work on either

as for the charging, I'm not sure how you are actually able to plug the cable from the internal charger (left in picture below) into the shifters

The charging cable of an internal battery charger actually needs to go to an A-junction, be it EW90 (right in the picture below) or the in-handlebar RS910

What parts do you actually have?

https://c1pbcq.by.files.1drv.com/y4mge1EohQEHhqj3zacJjLreO4skR3Bz5nHbFLEYpMiB5zSR9x Zj6vhndxK_jp1c_nFpfl6XvoFnK2kRKoayIG04f7cWXCsCNYGN 3gK_s5ib_F9Xkpc0wzyPQQd6ndfbErTjXFAZ0ynfsAw_HpxFFH mKfKFZJbQUdy6-NKJupSwJiADSPXhGd6IcTOSAAW1qdXG_WWWC6Q2F0S1bJ6QBwV Pug?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

pasadena
02-26-2020, 10:25 AM
diagrams and info here

https://di2center.com/2019/08/24/di2-for-dummies-beginners-guide-to-di2/#how-do-i-charge

Dave B
02-26-2020, 10:25 AM
I usually charge through the a junction box. There’s a small door on the left hand side (left orientated from your saddle position) that opens for charging assuming you have the stem mounted box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

see I looked for that and there is no door. two wires come into it from the shifters and then one leaves the other end into the bike.

I have looked on google images for a charger like the one I received and nada, not a one like it. I thought you charged the junction box as well, but there ins't a way to connect the wire from the charger into the box. I can look again, but the seller said there wasn't and to charge it through the shifters.

loxx0050
02-26-2020, 10:33 AM
I'm kind of confused as to your setup and what charging cable you have.

Is this the junction box you have:

https://www.tririg.com/articles/2015_08_Di2_2015_Update/960/2015_08_Di2_2015_Update_4.jpg

If so they that doesn't have a port to charge an internal battery. You would need a newer Junction A like an EW90, RS910 or a MT800 or M9051 (MTB junctions). There maybe others I'm not aware of that have that port too.

You would be using what was pictured above the Shimano SM-BCR2 charging cable/port. Note that this is comes with a micro USB cable like you see on cell phones and USB-A side would plug into a computer/laptop or I just use one of my phone charger plugs since I now have nearly of dozen of those lying around.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 11:07 AM
I'm kind of confused as to your setup and what charging cable you have.

Is this the junction box you have:

https://www.tririg.com/articles/2015_08_Di2_2015_Update/960/2015_08_Di2_2015_Update_4.jpg

If so they that doesn't have a port to charge an internal battery. You would need a newer Junction A like an EW90, RS910 or a MT800 or M9051 (MTB junctions). There maybe others I'm not aware of that have that port too.

You would be using what was pictured above the Shimano SM-BCR2 charging cable/port. Note that this is comes with a micro USB cable like you see on cell phones and USB-A side would plug into a computer/laptop or I just use one of my phone charger plugs since I now have nearly of dozen of those lying around.

It does look like that. At least it does to me.

I'll post pics when I get home as I am not near it.

It just seems that the charging plug I have does not fit into the open end.

I bought the entire bike here and was told by the previous owner to just plug the charger into one of the open spots on the shifter...under the hood.

Might be best to just take pics and go from there.

Thanks folks, I guess I'll be back with more info.

robt57
02-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Sounds like early SM-EW67A front junction box and a BTR2 battery may have been put together.

Have to use a SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B front junction to charge any of the internal batteries I believe. Or bar end ports, forget pn.

Reading that somehow charging thru a shifter port somehow is not anything I am aware of being possible. Trying to imagine the connectivity to try it.

SM-BCR2: Battery charger for SM-BTR2/BT-DN110.

Now I have used the BTR2 internal with the SM-EW67A [test ride] front junction with a fully charged battery. Fully knowing I would have to put it back on the bike with the SM-EW90-A to charge it if I left it in place.

echappist
02-26-2020, 11:11 AM
I suspect the system contains some jury-rigged pieces and is not actually fully Shimano made. Only the seller can tell you about all the precautions needed. Fwiw, is this your first time charging this?

torquer
02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
One other thing to check (ask me how I learned this;)):
Use the Shimano plastic tool to make sure the wire is securely attached to the battery. The wire will stay in place if it is just pushed onto the battery, but it needs to click into place for the electrical connection to be made, and the tool gives you enough leverage to make that work.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 12:00 PM
ok, popped home during lunch and took these.

There are no other charging ports, with out taking the battery of the seat tube...I assume.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E6JkQ954W2rTdPfw7

robt57
02-26-2020, 12:08 PM
That looks DIY all the way on the charger.

Yes, you have a SM-EW67A front junction box.

Are you sure you are plugging the DIY charger in as intended?

Also, do you have a BTR2 or BT-DN110 battery?

Dave B
02-26-2020, 12:13 PM
That looks DIY all the way on the charger.

Yes, you have a SM-EW67A front junction box.

Are you sure you are plugging the DIY charger in as intended?

Also, do you have a BTR2 or BT-DN110 battery?

Yes I use the shimano tool to push in the charger all the way in, that is all I was told was needed, so I thought I was doing as instructed.

With regards to any other info, I have no idea. I have never seen the battery as the seller said all I had to do, what he did, was to plug it into either shifter as it looks like I have done.

If this is wrong, then would it be safe to assume I need to buy things to get this to work?

robt57
02-26-2020, 12:19 PM
I find myself wondering if that red molex connector does not have a purpose in the DIY plan there.

I suspect what you have is electrically correct if implemented as intended DIY or not.

No Shimano engineer is going to say that is correct.

If you happen to be in the PDX, I have the port tools. You could just look at the battery to see what it is. But I'd bet it is BTR2.

I've cobbled about every part of Di2, sans charging stuff.

You do have 6770 ST shifters FWIW. these are the 10 speed origs. I have some of those in use still.

AngryScientist
02-26-2020, 12:22 PM
disclaimer: i dont know anything at all about Di2, but am familiar with electrical troubleshooting of all types.

when you say you have never seen the battery...

i would think the first thing you want to do is pull the seatpost, locate the battery and verify it is connected to the rest of the system.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 12:27 PM
I find myself wondering if that red molex connector does not have a purpose in the DIY plan there.

I suspect what you have is electrically correct if implemented as intended DIY or not.

No Shimano engineer is going to say that is correct.

If you happen to be in the PDX, I have the port tools. You could just look at the battery to see what it is. But I'd bet it is BTR2.

I've cobbled about every part of Di2, sans charging stuff.

You do have 6770 ST shifters FWIW. these are the 10 speed origs. I have some of those in use still.

I have looked for ANY place to plug that in. Now I suppose I can pull the seat post and dig out the battery, but does anyone have a suggestion on how to install something to charge the battery outside of the bike? If so, what do I need.

This is the only Di2 I have or will have. I have EPS V3 and not only was it a sinch to install, set up, and charge.

Shimano has never given me fits and is wicked easy to make work. I just don't know what else I need if in fact the seller said this was it.

Thanks for all help though if I get frustrated, run over the bike and forget to show appreciation.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 12:28 PM
disclaimer: i dont know anything at all about Di2, but am familiar with electrical troubleshooting of all types.

i would think the first thing you want to do is pull the seatpost, locate the battery and verify it is connected to the rest of the system.

yes agreed. The bike came to me charged, worked and I have done nothing but hang it up. I suppose in some sort of strange twist it could have come unplugged some how, but nothing I have done with the bike would have loosened those connections as they are on there pretty snug.

robt57
02-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Can't rule out anything until you rule out everything I always say. ;)

Did you get to ride it at all yet I guess is a good question? In shipping a tight wire and a loose battery could certainly = the plug popping out of the battery.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 12:46 PM
Can't rule out anything until you rule out everything I always say. ;)

Did you get to ride it at all yet I guess is a good question? In shipping a tight wire and a loose battery could certainly = the plug popping out of the battery.

yeah i rode it and it was fine. I thought the battery just went dead and began to charge it last night as well as my eps bike that had gone dead. EPS no prob, this one might just take more effort to sort out.

I HOPE it is just a loose wire somewhere or then I have a bike that is useless until I spend more money to just make it work. Oh goody.

robt57
02-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Well, hope may not be a useful as help via this process. ;)

Pull the seatpost and make sure the battery is in fact plugged in. While you have it in your hand take a pic and/or look ate the PN cast into it. Still betting BTR2. Could also be a DIY Battery solution too and not an actual Shimano battery.

I hate to suggest it, but the DIY charging solution may what be what bricked it. It sounds bricked certainly.

Have you eMailed who you got it form to be sure you implemented the charge as intended??

I am stuck on the red molex on your charger and what DIY shenanigans I have seen googling for Di2 hacks for my own shenanigans.....

Dave B
02-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Well, hope may not be a useful as help via this process. ;)

Pull the seatpost and make sure the battery is in fact plugged in. While you have it in your hand take a pic and/or look ate the PN cast into it. Still betting BTR2. Could also be a DIY Battery solution too and not an actual Shimano battery.

I hate to suggest it, but the DIY charging solution may what be what bricked it. It sounds bricked certainly.

Have you eMailed who you got it form to be sure you implemented the charge as intended??

I am stuck on the red molex on your charger and what DIY shenanigans I have seen googling for Di2 hacks for my own shenanigans.....

yes and did exactly as he stated. He is a great forumite here and I have no doubt in him or his help. I did exactly what he told me to do, but honestly until I pull it, we are just guessing.

Oh goody nothing as exciting as this type of headache.

loxx0050
02-26-2020, 01:08 PM
I too am curious on how this was modified to get this custom setup to work. If you can get the seller to provide more details I'd like to know what was put into it.

Other alternative is to find a EW90 junction (3 or 5 port) and you might need a couple of Di2 wires though to connect to your shifters and then bridge the connection to the battery/derailleurs. You would still need once of those BCR2 chargers too.

But if the system if bricked then you may need to take it in for a diagnostic (or find somebody locally to who has the connection/diagnostic tool). While the BCR2 can serve as a connection tool for basic diagnostics it doesn't have the full functionality as the actual diagnostic tool (the Shimano SM-PCE1 interface...which most people don't need).

robt57
02-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Is it of the 10s or 11s cobbled variety. No negative connotation.

I started my Di2 life a few years back with a $99.00 pair of Jensen USA ST-6770 shipped. Once you learn it well, Shimano adds new things to learn too. Cumpuuters.. Zed. ;)

Dave B
02-26-2020, 01:16 PM
What is bricked? Does this mean the "system" needs a reboot or update?

robt57
02-26-2020, 01:22 PM
What is bricked? Does this mean the "system" needs a reboot or update?

Yes, usually recoverable. But when DIY parts are in the equation, more is possible IMO. Your next quest is to get in there and lets see what battery is going on, is it actually still connected, and is it DIY.

Lord knows what the firmware versions are among the components.

Which is why I asked if 10 speed still.

I actually have a laptop off the net to keep the e-tube software from updates or me allowing a firmware update to a part to occur on a bike with 10 speed on it still.

I am about to do my first DIY battery actually, for an adventure bike that may get way out occasionally. 4xmah than orig batts.

yada.

Did yours start showing signs it needed recharge? And do you know what those indicators are? Both in system behavior and LED readout modes on your A junction and how to interpret?

Look585
02-26-2020, 01:25 PM
That charger looks like one from a guy that assembled internal batteries years ago before the Shimano internal system was launched.

Called himself Di2DIY or DIYDi2 on eBay...

Looks like there was a facebook page but it is pretty dormant.

https://www.facebook.com/Di2SeatPostBatteryKits

Good luck!

Dave B
02-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Yes, usually recoverable. But when DIY parts are in the equation, more is possible IMO. Your next quest is to get in there and lets see what battery is going on, is it actually still connected, and is it DIY.

Lord knows what the firmware versions are among the components.

Which is why I asked if 10 speed still.

yeah it is still 10 speed.

robt57
02-26-2020, 01:33 PM
yeah it is still 10 speed.

Nothing wrong with that, but it will present some possible unexpected challenges once plugged into a SM-PCE1 to do diagnostics.

Your system is pretty far away to being able to connect to e-tube/android.

I'd add sudden death without loosing first the systems ability to auto trim FD, then stop shifting RD after that... In my experience this happens from a poor battery, a RD jammed into recovery mode, or a failed connection point. Or a crashed/bent RD that is fighting the servo continually.

I am sure there are more/other reasons, just not in my experience, yet. ;)

Dave B
02-26-2020, 03:00 PM
ok, here is the cluster f$%^k that I was surprised with.

I was able to remove the battery and charge (I hope) it via the little red thing.

Exposed wire, poop storm of some sort in the ST.

Oh well, give it some time to charge and just deal with it I suppose.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xpbCYZWM4KtSKYfP9

glepore
02-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Photos aren't available, but there was an ebay seller selling conversion kits for first gen di2 stuff to mount internally. It was all fab'd, including the charger and battery.

In theory, you should be able to charge through a shifter port, assuming that's how the charger is set up and the connector is fully engaged. But the whole setup is bespoke and you'll have to troubleshoot it yourself, most likely.

Dave B
02-26-2020, 04:05 PM
Ok photos available now.

glepore
02-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Yeah, that's the ebay thing...

robt57
02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
I had a feeling that red molex had a mate on the battery wiring.

The DIY Vids, the ones I scoped out, I think you are not supposed to have it on the bus when you charge a DIY setup like that. But the Di2 connector is wired in its harness, not seen that before...

Dave B
02-26-2020, 06:56 PM
I need to figure out what parts to get just to make it a bit more convenient to charge. It isn't a big deal, just another issue with this bike transaction and I don't want it to be one of those that becomes an irritant.

Cool bike and i know shimano makes decent stuff.

Would be much cooler with Campy EPS though. :banana:

robt57
02-26-2020, 07:10 PM
I need to figure out what parts to get just to make it a bit more convenient to charge. It isn't a big deal, just another issue with this bike transaction and I don't want it to be one of those that becomes an irritant.

Cool bike and i know shimano makes decent stuff.

Would be much cooler with Campy EPS though. :banana:

All my elecs are Di2, most of my Campy is all Ti/Cult SR, afraid to touch EPS. ;O [for infectious reasons]