PDA

View Full Version : SS 'Cargo-ish/Brevet' Jersey recommendations

RobJ
02-26-2020, 07:25 AM
I realize this has become somewhat a marketing term and also a push in the bikepacking market. I am looking for something a little looser fitting, with the additional pockets (or hidden front pockets) for casual days on the bike or gravel rides etc. instead of the race-fit lycra. Possibly a merino blend too. I like Rapha but not sure I want to spend $160 on their Brevet Lightweight. Pedal ED has a few nice ones. Any others out there people can recommend?

Veloo
02-26-2020, 07:38 AM
If polo style is an option, I've bought the De Marchi brand polos with back pockets from Steep and Cheap. They are quite thin though.

Also have the Road Holland polo style with pockets if you can find them on eBay. They run a size large. Believe the model was the Den Haag.

I see Steep and Cheap has some Shimano polos but I've never tried.

AngryScientist
02-26-2020, 07:47 AM
as far as warm/hot weather wear, i am 100% done with rapha wool blend jerseys. i have the lightweight brevet jersey too - crappy material, period.

IMO they suck when it's hot out, they dont breathe well at all. if this is for warm weather riding, i'd steer clear of rapha.

JAGI410
02-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Club Ride has some incredibly comfortable (I wear them for work sometimes!) options with hidden pockets.

pdmtong
02-26-2020, 09:32 AM
as far as warm/hot weather wear, i am 100% done with rapha wool blend jerseys. i have the lightweight brevet jersey too - crappy material, period. IMO they suck when it's hot out, they dont breathe well at all. if this is for warm weather riding, i'd steer clear of rapha.
I too find any of the merino blend Rapha jerseys too hot for me once temps go into the mid-60s and higher. idk about the material that AS is commenting on. My opinion is simply about any of the regular jerseys. For late spring summer early fall I use their pro team and super lightweight which are all synthetic

AngryScientist
02-26-2020, 09:37 AM
For late spring summer early fall I use their pro team and super lightweight which are all synthetic

yes, those are pretty good, the merino blend ones are terrible in the heat.

cgolvin
02-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Given your comment on cost, this may not work, but some friends use the Rapha cargo bibs and a loose-fitting t-shirt for these situations. The bibs hold food, phone etc. in the side and back pockets so no need for any pockets in the jersey/t-shirt.

(Nick, sorry you're not happy with the lightweight brevet jersey -- I was disappointed with the fit, not the material.)

RobJ
02-26-2020, 01:06 PM
Given your comment on cost, this may not work, but some friends use the Rapha cargo bibs and a loose-fitting t-shirt for these situations. The bibs hold food, phone etc. in the side and back pockets so no need for any pockets in the jersey/t-shirt.

(Nick, sorry you're not happy with the lightweight brevet jersey -- I was disappointed with the fit, not the material.)

Thanks. This actually is one of my strategies too. I just picked up a set of the bibs off eBay. Definitely a good way to negate the need for a cycling jersey.

pdmtong
02-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Rapha fit is maddening. It is the only brand where my jersey fit can be medium, large or XL; some jackets I am large, others I am XL.

It's worse in the city line which seems to be designed for tall pencil thin people which I am definitely not. Some things fit, others no chance.

cgolvin
02-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Rapha fit is maddening. It is the only brand where my jersey fit can be medium, large or XL; some jackets I am large, others I am XL.

It's worse in the city line which seems to be designed for tall pencil thin people which I am definitely not. Some things fit, others no chance.

I have no experience with the city line but IME the jackets are by far the worst. You either have to try on in person or order multiple sizes and plan to ship the misfit ones back (very common strategy among Rapha heads). At this point I don't see much variation in the jersey fit, I know what fits me for each cut. [Edit: except the aero, I've never found one of those that fit me.]

pdmtong
02-26-2020, 02:37 PM
I have no experience with the city line but IME the jackets are by far the worst. You either have to try on in person or order multiple sizes and plan to ship the misfit ones back (very common strategy among Rapha heads). At this point I don't see much variation in the jersey fit, I know what fits me for each cut. [Edit: except the aero, I've never found one of those that fit me.]
Since they changed the returns to 30 days (was 90 days) from order you pretty much need to order multiple sizes and get them sent back within a few days of receipt in order to account for the Fedex return time and make sure it arrives and is logged BEFORE the 30 days from order clock expires. If the return is posted AFTER the 30 days you cannot get a refund - only a credit. Definitely a fine print kind of thing to be aware of.

I'm not buying any clothes these days - got enough. maybe too much still.

mktng
02-26-2020, 03:23 PM
Sugoi Wallaroo. If you can still buy them. Wool jersey. Non traditional pockets. Which is fine, as I usually ride with a bar bag or more storage options. Great for on and off the bike. Classic design and imo....was around waaaaay before this new trend.

jischr
02-26-2020, 05:38 PM
Areotech Sprint is a bit looser than a club cut, but just back pockets. I had a jersey with a left front pocket and didn't care for it, due to it pulling the left collar down when on the hoods or drops. Maybe just a key or a credit card would be OK but a wallet or cell phone was annoying to me.

Fat lad at the back in the UK also makes loose fitting jerseys.

Club ride had a good loose fit, but the "dress" collar points on one jersey would flip up and flap at my throat, which I found annoying. On a couple jerseys the back pocket opened to the side. My work phone, without a rubber case, worked out of the pocket on a road ride and slid off into the ditch. Luckily a rider behind me called out or I would have never known. This was 6-7 years ago so they may have stopped side openings or added zippers since then.

I'll wear merino blends into the 80's, but above 90 I prefer the thinner open weave jersey.