PDA

View Full Version : Hubset - Campy Build

jm714
02-25-2020, 07:15 PM
Yes I know I can go find a great deal online for a set of campy wheels, but I want to do a custom set right now. 215 pounds to start. I want to build a set of alloy wheels probably Boyd rims (ceramic version) maybe Belgium +’s. 24/28 build for me seems to work for me without any problems on these rims.

That all being said what hubs would you go with and why? CK’s are out. Industry 9’s and DT Swiss 240’s (have been good to me) seem to be the safe bet. No WI’s, I have done two builds and they always seem to develop side to side play that has to be attended to. Onyx (the weight doesn’t scare me) I have heard their hub design builds a strong wheel. Phil Wood’s, again not scared of the weight, but what do I get with them?

AngryScientist
02-25-2020, 07:24 PM
i have built and own wheels with all of the hubs you have mentioned except for the onyx.

modern hubs are all terrific generally speaking.

how much noise do you like? the i9's are LOUD and buzzy.

the 240's have a choice of 3 internals with regard to tooth count on the ratchet ring, and the more teeth, the quicker the engagement, but the more buzzy they get too. the lower tooth count are the most reliable of the bunch.

early T11 hubs had some bearing woes, but they seem to be largely sorted now, and once you have them dialed in, they are trouble free in my experience, though, as you mentioned, you need to dial out the play early in life. quick and easy for the experienced mechanic.

i do have a set of wheels with Phil road hubs. honestly they are nothing special, and quite expensive and heavy. maybe 25 years ago they were the most reliable, but today, you'll get the same service life out of a 240 hub as the phil.

robertbb
02-25-2020, 07:29 PM
If you're happy to go for something (slightly) heavier but absolutely bombproof.... Miche Primato Syntesi.

colker
02-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Why not a campagnolo record rear 32h? 4 more spokes won´t make the bike that heavy and you are not a flyweight either so..
Up front go w/ 24 and a dt hub. Maybe even a more delicate rim. I don´t see why we would need the same stiffness up front when it´s the rear that bears more stress.
I would get a lower profile softer rim at the front and a taller stiffer burlier rim in the back.

FlashUNC
02-25-2020, 07:44 PM
Onyx are the bomb.

AngryScientist
02-25-2020, 07:51 PM
Onyx are the bomb.

meh. i like em loud.

ERK55
02-25-2020, 08:04 PM
Onyx are the bomb.

Non-meh. I like ‘em quiet.
Can you be more specific re the Onyx features you like?

FlashUNC
02-25-2020, 08:51 PM
Non-meh. I like ‘em quiet.
Can you be more specific re the Onyx features you like?

Silent coasting. Instant freehub engagement. Cool colors. Uh, they build a nice wheel?

ultraman6970
02-25-2020, 09:16 PM
32/32 campagnolo hubs and any brand rims, Those wheels will last forever.

herb5998
02-25-2020, 09:21 PM
I've got some NIB Campag Record Hubs in the FS section. I'm similar in weight, and find that the Record hubs with HED Belgium+ rims is pretty much a bombproof set, that is really good.

bikinchris
02-25-2020, 09:44 PM
There are two versions of Phil hubs. Their lightweight versions are much closer in weight to the industry norm. Their flanges are beefier which is why they have the well deserved reputation of being stronger. They also use bigger heavier bearings, which also last longer.
Their heavier versions are my favorite.
You might also look here:
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/hubs

d_douglas
02-25-2020, 11:42 PM
My road wheels are King r45 on Belgiums and they’re nice, but if I were to do it again, I’d use Onyx hubs. I use them on my MTB and they’re amazing. It is such a pleasure to ride silent hubs after using kings, DTs and Hopes. They’re all nice systems, but the Onyx is a step up.

I weigh the same as you and would want more spokes, personally.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2020, 07:20 AM
ACH!! DUPE, Mr Mod..sorry.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Yes I know I can go find a great deal online for a set of campy wheels, but I want to do a custom set right now. 215 pounds to start. I want to build a set of alloy wheels probably Boyd rims (ceramic version) maybe Belgium +’s. 24/28 build for me seems to work for me without any problems on these rims.

That all being said what hubs would you go with and why? CK’s are out. Industry 9’s and DT Swiss 240’s (have been good to me) seem to be the safe bet. No WI’s, I have done two builds and they always seem to develop side to side play that has to be attended to. Onyx (the weight doesn’t scare me) I have heard their hub design builds a strong wheel. Phil Wood’s, again not scared of the weight, but what do I get with them?

DT350.All the advantage of 240s for a LOT less money.
Lace those guys 2cross front and 3cross rear..'maybe' use some more burley spokes..like Sapim Strong or Force..

OBTW-32/32 is 12 more spokes..12 spokes weight 'about' 3 ounces more than 24/28..about 60 grams on your 105,000 some gram bike and rider 'package'..BUT, 32h more reliable all things being equal. :)

Record hubs laced to the rims you mentioned OR H+Son Archetype, Velocity Quill, DT 511 rims(particularly if you go with the 24/28 option)....

colker
02-26-2020, 08:02 AM
DT350.All the advantage of 240s for a LOT less money.
Lace those guys 2cross front and 3cross rear..'maybe' use some more burley spokes..like Sapim Strong or Force..

OBTW-32/32 is 12 more spokes..12 spokes weight 'about' 3 ounces more than 24/28..about 60 grams on your 105,000 some gram bike and rider 'package'..BUT, 32h more reliable all things being equal. :)

Record hubs laced to the rims you mentioned OR H+Son Archetype, Velocity Quill, DT 511 rims(particularly if you go with the 24/28 option)....

Every now and then i hear of some mishap or criticism of DT hubs. I never ever heard anything wrong about campagnolo hubs.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Every now and then i hear of some mishap or criticism of DT hubs. I never ever heard anything wrong about campagnolo hubs.

AGREE..BUT wish they made 28 and 36h, plus a lower priced spread..like the older Centaur, cart bearing ones..I'm surprised they still make hubs at all considering they are so big into wheelsouttaboxes..Campag and Fulcrum..

colker
02-26-2020, 08:53 AM
..I'm surprised they still make hubs at all considering they are so big into wheelsouttaboxes..Campag and Fulcrum..

And that´s why there is a cult of campagnolo; their loyalty to their old ways while also coming up w/ new stuff.
You can rebuild components. You can buy record hubs and record threaded headsets along w/ electronic groupsets and discs.
They are smart. Not perfect.. still missing 36h and 28h but their 32h hubs are so good.