PDA

View Full Version : I miss dbrk

julia
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
discuss.

julia

72gmc
01-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I was thinking of dbrk this morning when I rode by a Citroen "Dolly" down by the north end of Lake Union. Someone loves this car... it has a dark blue/beige paint job that looks fairly recent, and it's in nice condition. I know nothing of Citroen but dbrk has professed affection in the past.

Hope India's being good to you, Dr.

Louis
01-09-2007, 11:37 PM
When it comes to prolix posters he is without peer...

manet
01-09-2007, 11:38 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1834.jpg

julia
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
julia

manet
01-09-2007, 11:45 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1824.jpg

julia
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM

Grant McLean
01-10-2007, 12:02 AM
i often squint across the lake...

Tom Byrnes
01-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Douglas and Aimee went to India right before Christmas. They should be returning home any day now.

We should hear from him soon.

dbrk
01-10-2007, 03:55 AM
As you can see from the photos below, I closed up shop in India a few days back and began the trip home. It was about seven hours on the bus from the tiny hamlet of Vriddhacalam, not from from the great temple city of Cidambaram, in the heart of Tamil Nadu up to Chennai, then three flights home. I shan't bore the Forum with my business but suffice to say serious scholars and practitioners of the old ways are truly an endangered species---soon it will be nearly impossible to find it, even in such remote towns and villages as I sought out. My old friends and I are more like ancient tortoises than ever before. I did come home with a few manuscripts and several long conversations that won't make a great difference but hopefully some small piece will persist. It was a pleasure to speak Tamil for three weeks, if only because Tamils are so very surprised by this (there are only a handful of westerners who know the language well) and Tamils are, on the by and large, a gentle, accommodating culture. I freely walked in all the temples, as I'd always had, if only because I know a bit about being local, and Aimee was delighted to be so welcomed (she left before I went to the remoter corners of my research). I met many old friends, made some new ones, and bought myself a brand new Hero, which is being shipped home in the box, unassembled, the full outfit with complete chainguard. The shipping was considerably more than the bike. My old bike has seen plenty of use in the past 25 years and, as you can see, it's still going strong. There is an analogy to be made between these Hero cycles, stalwart relics that continue to have real purpose in the world, and the traditions of Sanskrit erudition, but it escapes me at present.

Thanks to all for the very kind words. I am grateful for so many good friends in cycling. If I happen to owe anyone some bike parts, please drop me a line. I think I got all the sales squared away before leaving but University exams, family, and the trip preparations may have caused a slip or two. It's good to be home though the view from abroad presents possibilities--- like retirement not far from this Hero shop, right near Cidambaram.

dbrk

shinomaster
01-10-2007, 03:55 AM
dbrk is all that is good in this place.

p.s. Julia, your avatar is cute.

shinomaster
01-10-2007, 03:57 AM

shinomaster
01-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Climb01742
01-10-2007, 04:30 AM
funny, i was just thinking about douglas, too, yesterday, missing him, and feeling like the forum was down a quart or two without him, then lo and behold, he returns. funny how like works. anything about that in one of your new manuscripts, pal? welcome back. your absence was felt. glad you had a heroic journey. :p

Ray
01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
I shan't bore the Forum with my business but suffice to say serious scholars and practitioners of the old ways are truly an endangered species---soon it will be nearly impossible to find it, even in such remote towns and villages as I sought out. My old friends and I are more like ancient tortoises than ever before.
Oh crap - big tubed carbon fibre YOGA too?!?! Say it aint so.

Welcome back,

-Ray

stevep
01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
i was told by manet that dbrk bought a translink ( isp ) 650 b bike and cannot get off of it because the performance is so fabulous.
he will be back when his legs get too tired to pedal.
cannot be untrue... if its untrue blame manet.

Lifelover
01-10-2007, 06:17 AM
.....I shan't bore the Forum with my business ......
dbrk

Your writing is never a bore even if the subject is. Please tell all!

paulh
01-10-2007, 07:34 AM
By the way, what frames/bikes from the fleet are left for sale?

Ginger
01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I can't wait to see the paint job Douglas springs for on that Hero.
:p

Welcome Back Douglas.

Fixed
01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
bro we should all be a little bit like dbrk imho
I hope a little rubs off on me ,he is a bridge between two worlds imho
cheers

justinf
01-10-2007, 01:34 PM
That looks like my '07 TDFL ride!

Welcome back dbro, can't wait to catch up.

Ginger
01-10-2007, 01:49 PM
That looks like my '07 TDFL ride!

Welcome back dbro, can't wait to catch up.
Oooo maybe I'll be able to keep up with you on the hills!

39cross
01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Oooo maybe I'll be able to keep up with you on the hills!
I think I saw a tow hook hanging off the back. :)

Ginger
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I think I saw a tow hook hanging off the back. :)
That'll help.

Too Tall
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I feel safe again :)

Yo, post #5 Julia tell the class what we are looking at? Cause it looks like a field of very tall catnip.