PDA

View Full Version : More on Serotta rebirth

HenryA
02-21-2020, 06:02 PM
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail-news/2020/02/20/serotta-will-relaunch-his-bike-brand-spring#.XlBuhi9MHmo

Elefantino
02-21-2020, 06:08 PM
Cool. I'm looking forward to the e-Ottrott.

eddief
02-21-2020, 06:18 PM
and hope he has a handle on market research. so much competition in every part of the bike biz. what can he do that distinguishes his bikes from the competition? he has/had a great name and product but my fear is the time has passed for being able to capitalize on the name. so can't wait to see how he comes out of the box and finds a way to raise the phoenix out of the ashes.

Plum Hill
02-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Disappointed to see the use of Taiwanese tubing and forks, especially at his price points.

SoCalSteve
02-21-2020, 06:27 PM
Cool. I'm looking forward to the e-Ottrott.

YES!!! So we can ride into our 70’s and 80’s in style and comfort. I’m with you, Mike...:banana:

bicycletricycle
02-21-2020, 07:36 PM
I wonder if they are just saying the carbon tubes and forks or the metal tubes as well?

Disappointed to see the use of Taiwanese tubing and forks, especially at his price points.

likebikes
02-21-2020, 07:43 PM
it's basically a bikesdirect version of a serotta?

93KgBike
02-21-2020, 08:18 PM
it's basically a bikesdirect version of a serotta?
ahem
"Above all else, our goal is to deliver a superior end result to each consumer by applying our deep understanding of bike fit and personalized design coupled with a service network of unsurpassed competency and eliminating any uncertainty."

As a case in point, Serotta said, "for the most part, we will avoid shipping a bicycle to someone's home in a box."

To meet his company's commitment, Serotta is currently establishing a network of industry professionals, including a number of select IBDs, who will work in concert with Serotta's home office. He anticipates establishing relationships with 15 retailers in North America, 10 in Europe and five elsewhere.

What's with the desire to bury a master craftsman? The guy designed tubesets that are still considered too expensive for anyone in the industry to mass produce. If he just started doing that, again all over again, whoever welds them together will be working with some industry leading materials. Not exactly the baitandswitch you are implying.

Having the most technical carbon layups in the biz might just require Taiwan...

I remain excited as always, and super grateful that there is a bike biz and a Ben Serotta. More bikes please.

Ralph
02-21-2020, 08:40 PM
And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork and head set equal to Ti frames costing many times that. I looked at one recently and couldn't believe what you get for your money. Taiwan knows how to build bike frames.

peanutgallery
02-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Devil is in the details, angles and standards. Those things are always a little off

And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork and head set equal to Ti frames costing many times that. I looked at one recently and couldn't believe what you get for your money. Taiwan knows how to build bike frames.

colker
02-21-2020, 08:46 PM
Man... Wish the guy luck and hope for the best. I don´t understand the pessimism when no one has even seen one of the new bikes.

Ralph
02-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Devil is in the details, angles and standards. Those things are always a little off

Ora Engineering in Taiwan builds them. Believe they build Ritchey frames also. No one knows more about building Ti frames. Don't fear Hi end Taiwan frames.

GregL
02-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Ora Engineering in Taiwan builds them. Believe they build Ritchey frames also. No one knows more about building Ti frames. Don't fear Hi end Taiwan frames.
I purchased one of those bikesdirect.com/Motobecane/ORA Engineering frames through the paceline classifieds. I was absolutely blown away by the build quality of the frame. It rivals any mass-produced bike frames I have owned for welds, alignment, and finish. It fits me perfectly and rides great.

Greg

Lanternrouge
02-21-2020, 09:46 PM
I’d like to hope these are so good that I contemplate getting one down the road, though that will be many projects from now. The chances of that aren’t high, but I’d love to think about future Serottas being equal to Fireflies.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2020, 06:13 AM
Above all else, our goal is to deliver a superior end result to each consumer by applying our deep understanding of bike fit and personalized design coupled with a service network of unsurpassed competency and eliminating any uncertainty.

?? Bike shops? Thought he was consumer direct model.

Ah...gonna be interesting to see the 'details' of how and why a IBD would get on this train.
To meet his company's commitment, Serotta is currently establishing a network of industry professionals, including a number of select IBDs, who will work in concert with Serotta's home office. He anticipates establishing relationships with 15 retailers in North America, 10 in Europe and five elsewhere.
And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork

Nothing but if ben tries to sell, via IBDs, very expensive, off shore produced, metal bikes..that's gonna be a tough one..particularly competing with carbon, carbon, carbon, everywhere...
$4000 Asian produced aluminum complete bike?..Let's say with 105 hydro...about $500 more for ultegra--About $3k
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/diverge-comp-e5/p/171308?color=274161-171308

BryanE
02-22-2020, 06:13 AM

HenryA
02-22-2020, 07:40 AM
ahem

What's with the desire to bury a master craftsman? The guy designed tubesets that are still considered too expensive for anyone in the industry to mass produce. If he just started doing that, again all over again, whoever welds them together will be working with some industry leading materials. Not exactly the baitandswitch you are implying.

I remain excited as always, and super grateful that there is a bike biz and a Ben Serotta. More bikes please.

This^^^^^^^^^!

Clancy
02-22-2020, 08:05 AM
“regional "teams" each bringing together a matrix of options........”

After reading I had visions of sitting in a mahogany paneled fitting room with fine Italian marble being served Pierrier by a dapper English butler while being measured by an array of sophisticated body sensors while simultaneously having my feet attended to by a podiatrist.

Sounds like these will be tailored to a very elite market, a market that I’m afraid I don’t quite fit in! But with that said I bet these bikes will be at the pinnacle of a frame makers craft and I wish him tremendous success. Hopefully not only will he be successful but will have an impact on the rest of the industry and push frame making in new directions as he did before.

wernerherzogsid
02-22-2020, 03:50 PM
The Buddhist tradition of rebirth, known more commonly as reincarnation, holds close the notion that life operates in a continuous, unending cycle. Some schools of study within the religion believe the application of karma across lives can funnel one from one positive realm of existence to another.

Only time will tell us what this latest rebirth of Serotta bicycles will become.

Fivethumbs
02-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Well, he's gonna need a website. And it wouldn't hurt if it had a forum.

SoCalSteve
02-22-2020, 08:45 PM
Well, he's gonna need a website. And it wouldn't hurt if it had a forum.

Post of the day!!!!!

peanutgallery
02-22-2020, 08:59 PM
I don't fear them, but every MotoBacon from bikesdirect I have ever seen has been a steaming pile of excrement. Details are important, and those things are always off, usually driven by price. I'm sure the factory is way more capable than the person spec-ing the build from florida with 26.8 seatposts and weird angles. If you buy one with parts it's even worse. Pretty sure the guy in Taiwan is laughing...and cashing the check

Whatever Ben builds will be well worth the $, if you have it to spend

oldpotatoe
02-23-2020, 05:56 AM
The Buddhist tradition of rebirth, known more commonly as reincarnation, holds close the notion that life operates in a continuous, unending cycle. Some schools of study within the religion believe the application of karma across lives can funnel one from one positive realm of existence to another.

Only time will tell us what this latest rebirth of Serotta bicycles will become.

or
Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity

:)

cd_davis
02-23-2020, 07:17 AM
A "market research" question - how many Paceline Forum members currently own a Serotta or have owned a Serotta and, after Ben Serotta's full market launch, would buy one of his new rigs at current market pricing?

Bought new from Adventure Cycles in Merritt Island FL, I own a 1998 Legend Ti stock 53 cm frame and recently installed my third Shimano groupset. Hard to estimate the miles on the frame, but it's ridden often. The frame is unpainted, original decals except for on the head tube, fits like a glove and rides great. I did replace the original fork (still have) with a 1-inch full carbon Columbus fork. That bike will always be the "n" in the stable along with my 2000 C40.

Anyone care to estimate the number of Serottas we own?

Plum Hill
02-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Bought a ‘95 CSI and ‘98 CRT from a great shop, Bicycle Specialties in Downers Grove.
Replaced with an Ottrott ST in ‘04, which was crunched in an altercation with a Mazda 626 in ‘07. Replaced with same.
Carbon HSG built from NOS eBay frameset in ‘11.
Steel Colorado built from frameset purchased here in ‘15.
Total of six.
All Campy equipped. All much cheaper than chasing automobile dreams.
Would seriously consider new Serotta but have personal issues with Taiwanese sourcing, especially at his price point. US tubes, carbon, and labor - he’d have gotten me.

Adam
02-23-2020, 11:43 AM
The tubes are being fabricated to Serotta’s specifications in Taiwan. The bikes will be welded/built in the states. It is a simple matter of finding a vendor that can make the sophisticated tubing in the volume required.

pdmtong
02-23-2020, 11:58 AM
A "market research" question - how many Paceline Forum members currently own a Serotta or have owned a Serotta and, after Ben Serotta's full market launch, would buy one of his new rigs at current market pricing?

Here is the KGSN Ottrott that brought me to this nut house. Fantastic ride. I met Ben at Sea Otter when he did the Ford bike and the "wood-painted" bike and the Meivici AE. I would NOT buy another Serotta. Very happy with my current road bikes. Plenty of choices for other incarnations. His name does not hold a premium for me.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697882533&d=1402803469

Malinois
02-23-2020, 12:05 PM
What’s FTW up to these days? He’s based out of Vermont, maybe a couple of hours away. I don’t know if he’s still involved with Spooky but he may have the ability to push through some small batch production runs.

laupsi
02-23-2020, 01:48 PM
All purchased new/only one owner-me, all w/original forks, drop outs, ect...

Colorado CRL
Fondo
Pronto
Ottrott SE

I would consider another Serotta, one w/wider wheel potential, disk brakes/thru axle, Ti or Ti/Carbon. Not sure why I"m typing this, but my next bike will more than likely be my last. If I were to go w/a Serotta, it would have to pretty darn sweet.

Kirk007
02-23-2020, 02:09 PM
I had one. No interest in a new one from what I'm hearing. I don"t need a multi-level support team to get me on a bike or to maintain it, and those services costs are going to have to be baked into the cost. As to "the best tubes, best bike" argument - I'm past believing that at today's level of sophistication in materials that some new magic layup or swagging is going to create an incremental improvement, whatever that is, considering all that goes into today's "premium" bikes. And in any event, too many interesting small builders that have more appeal to me, but that's just me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Matthew
02-23-2020, 02:56 PM
I've owned four total. 93 T-Max, 97 Atlanta, 02 Concours, and an 06 Meivici. Only have the Meivici now. Love the bike and really enjoyed the others too. Wish I still had the Atlanta. I met Ben years ago at a shop in Grand Rspids. Seemed like a great guy. Hoping he can be successful again. But if I were in the market for a high end roadie I'd look at multiple other builders and maybe one of the big brands.

nobuseri
02-23-2020, 04:12 PM
He’s still welding frames. Does Spooky (I got one from him about a year ago), and probably still does the VYNL frames. He also does his own (FTW) frames.

Still out there, still baller. :beer:

What’s FTW up to these days? He’s based out of Vermont, maybe a couple of hours away. I don’t know if he’s still involved with Spooky but he may have the ability to push through some small batch production runs.

As far as buying one for the proposed price point, as stated by a few, will be a tough sell. Lots more (big) fish in the sea these days.

With that said, I wish him well. I try to support to MUSA builder market when/however I can.

weaponsgrade
02-23-2020, 04:45 PM
I have a Classique Ti I bought new. Still have it, but it resides at my in-laws now. I put a lot of miles on it but I don't feel a strong pull to the brand. The brands I feel strong emotional pulls to are the mtbs of the 90s. That's where I'll do something irrational like buy a clapped out canti 26er with a triple. Maybe it's b/c I was more impressionable back then.

merckxman
02-23-2020, 06:50 PM
I have an Ottrott that was passed on to me. Excellent ride but being retired now the prices are way to high to consider a new Serotta.

pdmtong
02-23-2020, 07:20 PM
I have an Ottrott that was passed on to me. Excellent ride but being retired now the prices are way to high to consider a new Serotta.

hard trying to differentiate on product that is hard to differentiate.

IMHO he would have to be $1,000 under competitors to get people to sit up and take a closer look. At that discount people would trust his pedigree to close any perceived product gap. Any less, and meh, why take a risk funding Act V.

alwayssnacking
02-23-2020, 11:00 PM
still searching for a t-max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BumbleBeeDave
02-24-2020, 09:19 AM
. . . of animosity almost any time Ben's name is mentioned here. Granted, there was turmoil in his business at times. He was not perfect. But who is?

Just keep in mind that he DID successfully operate a custom bike business for FORTY YEARS before things went south in 2012. If there are others here who can also make that claim, then please let us know and feel free to throw stones. Others, please give a little respect and benefit of the doubt as he ramps things up again. i wish him the best of luck.

I just hope that lessons have been learned from his previous experience. My own take on it? . . . He leveraged himself to the hilt to build the new Saratoga factory and lease all sorts of CNC fabrication equipment just before the 2008 meltdown. He also targeted the upscale market too closely, and had no intro level price point bike to help new, younger customers get into the brand. Like Toyota trying to sell only Avalons and Highlanders without a Corolla to get younger buyers on board.

I've had my Legend since 2001 and plan on riding it the rest of my life. Superb bike.

BBD

ahem

cmbicycles
02-24-2020, 09:23 AM
I think Ben will do just fine. He knows how to design great bikes, he knows how to stay in business in a tough industry for 40ish years and has hopefully learned from his mistakes, so I'm sure he has realistic expectations for what this business venture can/will accomplish. I doubt he wants to be anywhere near as big as Serotta was. He is of typical retirement age, so staying involved in something he has a passion and expertise for at a sustainable level would be great for him. I hope he does well. I'm not his target customer, just not in that income bracket, but I appreciate quality craftsmanship, and enjoy the Legend I have as its a great bike. I'm sure his bikes will be well made on all levels, if he can command a premium price for that, good for him.

ultraman6970
02-24-2020, 10:07 AM
What u mean is that the dude needs to re position him self in the market? I do agree with that.

hard trying to differentiate on product that is hard to differentiate.

IMHO he would have to be $1,000 under competitors to get people to sit up and take a closer look. At that discount people would trust his pedigree to close any perceived product gap. Any less, and meh, why take a risk funding Act V.

cmg
02-24-2020, 10:12 AM
I wish him well. bought first Serotta Atlanta new from a local shop. introduced me to the brand. Made me look into geometry. Had 4 customs so far, tweaked Serotta geometry on all of them. Current Kish has tweaked Serotta geometry, lower bottom bracket, taller head tube, relaxed seat tube. yea, hope he makes memorable rides.

ibis
02-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Soooo, is he re-launching Serotta as a brand? Because they do not look like they are being branded as Serotta's:

https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/amodomio

https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/duetti

Maybe it's just really odd paint jobs that are throwing be off. Perhaps there are legal reasons why he can't/won't use the old Serotta downtube graphics?!?

Black Dog
02-24-2020, 10:27 AM
Soooo, is he re-launching Serotta as a brand? Because they do not look like they are being branded as Serotta's:

https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/amodomio

https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/duetti

Maybe it's just really odd paint jobs that are throwing be off. Perhaps there are legal reasons why he can't/won't use the old Serotta downtube graphics?!?

Try www.Serotta.com

Doug Fattic
02-24-2020, 11:52 AM
What I find interesting in this discussion is whether Ben's new venture can make it in today's marketplace. Of course things that didn't work perfectly in the past will be brought up as examples of potential problems. The question of success naturally arises when the profit from the pie is split several ways. So we have Ben the designer and whoever is the fitter and then there is the fabricator and painter all getting a cut. And I'm guessing they won't use standard tubes so that adds expense. I'm too lazy to check and see if these are all sold direct or whether the go through another middle man. All these divisions are going to keep the price high while at the same time prevent too many hours of labor to be invested in each frame to maintain a decent profit for everyone involved. So I think it is normal to speculate on this venture's future success when it is competing with some marvelous one or 2 man shops that can do it all.

Elefantino
02-24-2020, 12:16 PM
I've had my Legend since 2001 and plan on riding it the rest of my life. Superb bike.

BBD

It's been a while since we've seen the Bee machine. She looks classically modern.

pdmtong
02-24-2020, 01:57 PM
It's been a while since we've seen the Bee machine. She looks classically modern.
its matchy but just enough. personally I would go for black hoods to hold a southern hemisphere yellow + northern hemisphere black (let the tiny accents speak louder) but this is nicely played to honor the pollinator.

As for Ben, I wish him well but it's a tough road ahead. No one is discounting his skill or contribution but we all watched with disappointment as the ball was being fumbled a lot at the end.

biker72
02-25-2020, 10:10 AM
I can recycle my old Serotta cap now....:)
http://graphicfxs.com/Serotta.jpg

robt57
02-25-2020, 10:43 AM
>>I am ready to put a $2,000 deposit on my new Serotta now so I can have it as soon as possible!

Not sure I understand the strategy of this on a front page frankly.
Unless the strategy is to help raise capitol, and if that works it is/was a good strategy.

If part of the strategy was to scare off folks not willing to semi unconditionally spend for a bike, it worked on me. But that is a working strategy if you only want to spend time on actual patrons perhaps.

I think with Kellogg and Sachs passe as viable sources of pinnacle custom options, business models are in scoop mode perhaps...

pdmtong
02-25-2020, 02:37 PM
>>I am ready to put a $2,000 deposit on my new Serotta now so I can have it as soon as possible!

Unless the strategy is to help raise capitol, and if that works it is/was a good strategy.

If part of the strategy was to scare off folks not willing to semi unconditionally spend for a bike, it worked on me. But that is a working strategy if you only want to spend time on actual patrons perhaps.

I think with Kellogg and Sachs passe as viable sources of pinnacle custom options, business models are in scoop mode perhaps...

All it is saying is that's the level of deposit he wants. The bigger challenge is launching an incomplete website. Prospects don't want to be guinea pigs in the business model development.

Ozz
02-25-2020, 03:35 PM
. . . ...

BBD

"....a thing of beauty is a joy forever!...."

:beer::banana:

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2020, 08:56 AM
. . . I don't see anything there about an entry level price point or bike. $7,500 is definitely not it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing if the goal is to sell a small number of bikes to a well-financed clientele. IMHO that was the fatal flaw in 2008: plans to sell way too many expensive bikes and only expensive bikes.

BBD

SoCalSteve
02-26-2020, 09:51 AM
. . . I don't see anything there about an entry level price point or bike. $7,500 is definitely not it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing if the goal is to sell a small number of bikes to a well-financed clientele. IMHO that was the fatal flaw in 2008: plans to sell way too many expensive bikes and only expensive bikes.

BBD

Yeah, who knew that there was going to be a recession? Trying to sell $8k bike frames during that time period was a big part of it...also, not using social media to their advantage. Ben had a great platform to sell bikes ( this forum ) and he chose not to use it.

Just take a look at Dave Kirk and Richard Sachs, a great part of their success is their ability to use social media as a platform to move their business forward. Of course, making a great product helps too.

JasonF
02-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Just take a look at Dave Kirk and Richard Sachs, a great part of their success is their ability to use social media as a platform to move their business forward. Of course, making a great product helps too.

Totally agree...a huge part of my decision to have Dave build a bike for me was the generosity he has with his time and knowledge on this forum and elsewhere. And this is with zero expectation of getting anything in return. Same goes for Richard: I bought a few of his bikes (not built for me) in the past and he's always been gracious with production info. So I'm always happy to buy swag from his e-store.

AngryScientist
02-26-2020, 10:06 AM
In the old days, Ben would launch a site just like he did this time. zero information and the definitive claim to be making the best. not one of the best. THE best.

back then though, he could call up Serotta Pete, and a half dozen other hard core Serotta believers and have them pre-pay for the prototype frames, infusing some capital to get the project going. Those guys believed in Ben and what S was capable of. They had the cash and they financially supported his endeavors.

i dont know who answers those phone calls from Ben these days.

again, i dont want to sound negative, because i do hope to see the S name back out on the road, but i think it's natural and expected, at least for this forum, to be a little disappointed at this re-launch. it's been weeks. show us the bikes, let's hear the details.

Black Dog
02-26-2020, 10:13 AM
In the old days, Ben would launch a site just like he did this time. zero information and the definitive claim to be making the best. not one of the best. THE best.

back then though, he could call up Serotta Pete, and a half dozen other hard core Serotta believers and have them pre-pay for the prototype frames, infusing some capital to get the project going. Those guys believed in Ben and what S was capable of. They had the cash and they financially supported his endeavors.

again, i dont want to sound negative, because i do hope to see the S name back out on the road, but i think it's natural and expected, at least for this forum, to be a little disappointed at this re-launch. it's been weeks. show us the bikes, let's hear the details.

I agree. Vapourware is frustrating. These cryptic pseudo launches with a lot of marketing language and very little actual details are terrible IMHO. You may not get eyes back on your web page a second time. Asking for a deposit on a promise...well that's not a net that's going to catch a lot of fish. Why not wait until you have at least a prototype, unless you are financing the development with deposits! This would be a risky way to do things...sounds like a go fund me project.

William
02-26-2020, 11:01 AM
I have posted variants of this a number of times over the years so I'll just paste this in since the topic is at hand...

…but Ben (as nice a guy as he is) never appeared to be too savy on the marketing side of things. He had the use of this forum for years and never utilized it to drive the brand.

I've said this before, but Serotta got their name from making good bikes, getting them under pro racers, and making race iron available to teams at a team discount. I came up through the Oregon racing scene and there were always large fields of riders with Serotta being the promineant and coveted ride of the time. A generation of people came up on them and that loyalty stuck. But he seemed to drop that and go after ever higher and higher price points until most regular folks couldn't afford them (and racers who could didn't want to risk wrecking them). As that market aged and got smaller and smaller he wasn’t doing anything to get rides under young less affluent riders and keep the Serotta name current with new generations. Add to that more talented builders coming onto the scene making quality frames at more affordable price points and he priced himself out of the general market. Add the overhead from his large shop and mfg facilities and and it was going to run itself into the ground which it did. With the size of that facility plus Poway they should have been focusing on moderate quantity production instead of a high price point = low volume nice market...and that original niche grows smaller by the year.

With current alternatives in the market it's going to be tough to get people to front money for a new "S" bike knowing the history (the bad side). For those that don't know Serotta history (the good side) they most likely won't even consider it.

I wish him nothing but the best because he does know how to design great bikes.

W.

seanile
02-26-2020, 01:17 PM
has anyone bought a Fat Chance since he relaunched?
his blog hasn't been updated in nearly 4 years, and his instagram in nearly a year. would be a shame to see serotta do the same..

ibis
02-26-2020, 01:42 PM
his blog hasn't been updated in nearly 4 years, and his instagram in nearly a year. would be a shame to see serotta do the same..

I'd be interested to hear as well. I've been eyeing a Chris Cross for a while now.

fiamme red
02-26-2020, 01:44 PM
If you're a bike pro looking to join the new Serotta team:

https://serotta.com/scsp

...Professional Bike Fitters, Physical Therapists, Coaches, Trainers and Podiatrists, Mechanics, Specialty Retailers, et al, who would like to be considered for membership in the Serotta Cycling Service Professionals Network should send a detailed CV to team@serotta.com. In the email subject write: Your Profession (ie Bike Fitter, etc), network application. Please allow two weeks for initial response.

Please note, these are not positions of direct employment, but will be limited contractual and/or referral relationships.

Questions should be directed to: team@serotta.com, subject: questions, service network. Only emails with full name, telephone, address and current employer will be answered. All information exchanged will be confidential.

colker
02-26-2020, 01:57 PM

I have seen at least 20 builds on my social feeds. Incl. road/gravel bikes.

SoCalSteve
02-26-2020, 02:01 PM

As well as Pete keeping the peace on the Forum. He was truly THE brand ambassador for Serotta. I do still miss him. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer guy to be on your side...:mad:

Mike Lopez
02-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Gentleman and ambassador. Always with a smile. Only met him in person a few times but miss exchanging emails and such. Wonder if he ever had a chance to drink that last bottle of red I sent him along with his custom corkscrew? (Hope it's in his pocket)

As well as Pete keeping the peace on the Forum. He was truly THE brand ambassador for Serotta. I do still miss him. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer guy to be on your side...:mad:

AngryScientist
02-26-2020, 06:24 PM
That is SO cool Mike. Thanks for posting that!

Blue Jays
02-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Serotta Pete had a great personality and an engaging style.
It was a pleasure meeting him live about a dozen years ago.

dziekiel
02-26-2020, 07:38 PM
I have a Legend, I believe it is an 00 (still has a 1" head tube), I believe I am the 3rd owner. Have put about 4k on it in a year and a few months, and i love it. In fairness, I don't have a lot of different road bikes ridden to compare it to, but it rides really nicely, seems stiff to me, and is comfortable for 50+ mile rides.

There are definitely a lot more options these days, especially for ti, but I think that there will be a market for them as long as the price points are within the realm of reasonable.

robt57
02-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Ti was always touted as forever bikes, right. ;)

SPOKE
02-26-2020, 08:55 PM

Serotta Pete & I were great friends. He got me hooked on the Serotta brand. Because of him and our friend Mike Grotz, owner of CycleSport in Park Ridge NJ, I became one of the group that put up deposits for the first Ottrott, MeiVici, and anniversary bikes.
I really hope Ben can put a great product together that will get me truly excited enough to purchase one. It’s just going to have to have more than a nice paint job.

fiamme red
02-26-2020, 08:58 PM
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/after-years-in-the-wilderness-serotta-is-back/

robt57
02-26-2020, 09:05 PM
Because of him and our friend Mike Grotz, owner of CycleSport in Park Ridge NJ, I became one of the group that put up deposits for the first Ottrott, MeiVici, and anniversary bikes.

I sure remember back in Bergen County 90s when those Serottas staring flowing out or Park Ridge drowning near by Westwood Cycle's LiteSpeeds for the highest end market. ;)

biker72
02-27-2020, 07:00 AM
I think I'd want to see some bikes go out the door before I put any money down. Ben builds great bikes but his business past is troublesome.

AngryScientist
02-27-2020, 07:04 AM
I think I'd want to see some bikes go out the door before I put any money down. Ben builds great bikes but his business past is troublesome.

agreed.

i dont know what the norms might be for higher priced frames, and i have not bought many frames new, but i have never put more than $500 to hold my place in line, maybe a little more at approval of drawings for purchase of raw materials, then the balance when i see photos of complete bike ready for ship.

no way i'm putting $2k down on a concept.

pdonk
02-28-2020, 01:16 PM
There is an interesting 2 part podcast at:

https://blog.bikefit.com/bf-podcast-ep-12-the-evolution-of-bike-fitting-with-ben-serotta/

and

https://blog.bikefit.com/bf-podcast-ep-13-the-evolution-of-bike-fitting-pt-2-with-ben-serotta/

It discusses history of his fit philosophy and how he intends to continue and evolve the brand and what is built and who it is sold to.

Black Dog
02-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Gentleman and ambassador. Always with a smile. Only met him in person a few times but miss exchanging emails and such. Wonder if he ever had a chance to drink that last bottle of red I sent him along with his custom corkscrew? (Hope it's in his pocket)

That is great on so many levels. Good for you, Pete was all class.