PDA

View Full Version : Sooo my father is going on a cycling trip to Tuscany

temeyone
02-21-2020, 05:03 PM
If anyone has any advice/tips/recommendations, I’d love to hear them. He’s 68, headed over with his wife in September to do about a week and a half of riding and sightseeing. He’s keen on the idea of staying in a central area from which they can go on different routes each day, but not opposed to a guided tour for more experienced cyclists.
They’re both good cyclists, but from Indiana without a lot of travel experience, and probably not the best at routing themselves around a European countryside. Any and all help is appreciated!

RonW87
02-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Guided tour: Trek Travel, Duvine, Butterfield and Robinson, VBT, Ciclismo Classico, etc. They'll get way more out of the trip that wandering around by themselves, getting lost, wasting time, renting/fixing bikes, choosing bad hotels/restaurants, etc.

radsmd
02-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Cinghiale Cooking and Cycling.

Ride with Andy Hampsten and his lovely wife Elaine.

You/they will thank me.

https://www.cinghiale.com/tours/cooking-cycling-2/

temeyone
02-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Great advice so far - keep it coming!

flydhest
02-21-2020, 06:43 PM
I did a week with Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter (Ben Serotta was on the trip too). It was awesome. That trip is clearly not possible now, but I got to ride with Andy Hampsten one day and it was phenomenal. I second the Cinghiale suggestion.

That said, it is hard to go wrong. They will ride great rides. Eat well. A quick convo with the tour owner should allay fears that any day will be too hard.

I would suggest good and easy gearing. A 34-32 will be welcome. Most of the cool towns are on hilltops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwa86
02-21-2020, 10:12 PM
I road with Bill Speckman a few years ago — near Bassano del Grappa. Company is your cycling Italia. Wonderful and varied terrain, but wouldn’t say it was a ton of sightseeing, more soaking up the local culture, eating well, etc. It’s sort of an all inclusive deal at a nice not too fancy hotel with daily rides suited to fitness level.

I have heard really good things about the Belvedere bike hotel south of Venice, have been contemplating for my next trip over. Similar set up by report.

clyde the point
02-22-2020, 04:27 AM
https://www.girolibero.it/en/

We used this company 7 summers ago and I would have your dad pm me if he wants them. The route in Tuscany was quite tough but and interesting experience. Not for the faint of heart!

oldpotatoe
02-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Guided tour: Trek Travel, Duvine, Butterfield and Robinson, VBT, Ciclismo Classico, etc. They'll get way more out of the trip that wandering around by themselves, getting lost, wasting time, renting/fixing bikes, choosing bad hotels/restaurants, etc.

Agree..for a not experienced traveler, plus add bikes and riding..spring for the extra$ and get guided.
Chingale...

https://www.cinghiale.com/tours/

Mr. Pink
02-22-2020, 10:27 AM
So, he has no plans yet, just a vague cycling and sightseeing trip? Then there's two options, a package tour, which is really expensive, but super convenient and relaxed, because it's all thought out for you, especially the food. The food is really important. If you miss lunch while riding in Italy, you're not getting fed until about 7 in most restaurants outside pizza cafes.
The only tour I've found in Tuscany that keeps you in the same bed is this one: https://ciclismoclassico.com/tours/tuscany-green/ . Asciano is nice country, and you're not far from Sienna, but, you are in the country, and the only sightseeing will be that, pretty much. I visited the farmhouse a few years ago, thinking, ha, I could do this myself at 1/3 the cost. Um,no, I quickly learned the value of a good tour operator. They provide guiding, local knowledge, bikes, and food, lots of food, which you need, right, if you're biking? The closest place to eat was a pizza place maybe 8 miles away. Not many other choices. Too bad Tuscany has no bike hotels, like the ones that cater to bikes in Rimini on the coast and up on Lake Garda. It's cheaper than the point to point tour providers.

I just spent nearly a month in Tuscany last October/November. Half a week at a place in the Val d'Orcia (La Foce) and a three week AirBnB in Siena. I didnt bike, and kinda happy I didnt plan to, because it rained a lot. A lot. We had a great time, though. Incredibly beautiful place. We rented a car and struck out to an hour radius from Siena. North to Chianti, Florence and Arezzo, west to Volterra, south to Orvieto and Spoleto in Umbria. That's what I would suggest if you want to fly without an operator. Bring a small rack with your bike and drive out to various starting points on rides from Ridewithgps loaded into your Garmin. Stay away from urban places like Florence and even Siena, the traffic is nuts. Italians drive like maniacs at times. But theyre cool out on country roads. There is some amazing riding south of Siena into the Val d'Orcia. Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Radocafani. Unreal scenery. But, remember, all towns mentioned are ancient HILL towns, and require a ton of climbing to get to. Chianti is gorgeous, too, but it's far from flat. Basically small mountain riding. The reward is an excellent cappuccino and pastry up there when you arrive, and amazing views of the valleys you just rode up from.

Good luck. I chose to ride all season back home and then do pure sightseeing and photography in the late fall/early winter over there. I can't afford 5 grand and even more for a week of biking, and I really dont want the hassle of lugging my bike over and doing it over there, although I was really envious one morning, sitting in a cafe in Panzano on a rare 55 degree sunny day for this trip, watching many old retired guys come and go on their fine bikes. Drove by maybe 45 bikers that day. Must be nice. But, we had an awesome time.

mtechnica
02-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Hopefully the Coronavirus thing will blow over by then. I would not want to travel internationally in the coming months especially at his age. Don’t mean to be a downer but it sounds like there are already outbreaks happening in Italy.

thunderworks
02-22-2020, 10:43 AM

You/they will thank me.

+1 for that recommendation . . . based in Castagneto Carducci. Fabulous experience in every regard. The roads on the western side of Tuscany have relatively little car traffic. The scenery is beautiful. I've been on this Cinghiale trip and also spent a week solo (riding with one other buddy) a few years later in the same area.

Feel free to PM me if you want info about the solo effort - but if you want an organized trip, I doubt it gets any better that Cinghiale.

Tony T
02-22-2020, 10:47 AM

You/they will thank me.

Always wanted to do this, looks perfect for the OP's question.

Mr. Pink
02-22-2020, 10:55 AM
Hopefully the Coronavirus thing will blow over by then. I would not want to travel internationally in the coming months especially at his age. Don’t mean to be a downer but it sounds like there are already outbreaks happening in Italy.

Actually, you're probably less safe here in America, considering the amount of people who travel back and forth to the Far East here for business, compared to Italy.

I've been saying that this is going to be one of the best Spring to Summer and maybe Fall traveling seasons for major cities in Europe, because the Chinese will vanish, and they are a huge element of the now massive worldwide tourist industry. I read recently about 25%. If you'e been to the big destinations in Europe lately, you would believe that number. They are major contributors to the crowding, and, yes, sorry, they can be awfully rude. The Italians, for one, are probably freaking out, because a huge portion of their economy is based on tourism. You'll probably find excellent hotel deals, and restaurants will be easier to get into, all over Europe.

Mr. Pink
02-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Some pics from the last trip.

In order, Mt. Amiata from LaFoce. Radocafani, Siena Duomo, Val d'Orcia, Spoleto Duomo

temeyone
02-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Wow, you guys are truly amazing. I’m going to pare this info down a bit and pass it on to him to digest. I may reach out to a few of you in the coming weeks.

Huge huge huuuuuuge help!

Mr. Pink
02-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Whoops, sorry, guess I was wrong about virus fears in Italy.

https://news.yahoo.com/10-italian-towns-lockdown-over-coronavirus-fears-220635548.html

b33
02-23-2020, 10:22 AM
I just went this October for my birthday. I can't recall the guy's name, but I will find it. He's 50 euro a day, he rides 20,000 kilometers a year and he's a retired American architect. We did 50 miles, he did it at my pace - he took pictures and knew all the watering holes. We did two large climbs and one of the descents was in the giro two years ago.

Not sure if you need a high end guided tour as Tuscany - Florence has such incredible food.

I'll try to dig up his info.

temeyone
02-23-2020, 05:00 PM
I just went this October for my birthday. I can't recall the guy's name, but I will find it. He's 50 euro a day, he rides 20,000 kilometers a year and he's a retired American architect. We did 50 miles, he did it at my pace - he took pictures and knew all the watering holes. We did two large climbs and one of the descents was in the giro two years ago.

Not sure if you need a high end guided tour as Tuscany - Florence has such incredible food.

I'll try to dig up his info.

Oooh this is a great idea! I’d love his contact.

doomridesout
02-23-2020, 05:16 PM
I did the Cinghiale Cooking and Cycling tour in 2014 with my dad, who was a few years younger than yours at that time. It was a single-location guided tour with great food, activities for non-cycling spouses, and great riding with Andy Hampsten. None of the riding is particularly challenging and it hits all the parameters you're looking for. Strong recommend if he can swing the cost.