PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to get a rusted, stuck barrel adjuster out

Veloo
02-21-2020, 11:19 AM
This downtube barrel adjuster is pretty rusted so the plastic part is seized. It's screwed down almost all the way but if it wasn't seized, I would have a mm or two to raise it and clear those little ridges. I dripped a bit of chainlube in the hopes of loosening things up but no luck.
So close to the frame that I don't much clearance to play with pliers without risking a slip and hitting the carbon.

Any ideas?

Odd that Stevens would run cables along the downtube on a CX frame.

Tony T
02-21-2020, 11:22 AM
Chain lube is too thick, try some penetrating oil, for example liquid wrench in a drip, not spray can

unterhausen
02-21-2020, 11:25 AM
I use pb blaster because it's the one that is easiest to get. Spray it on, go on to some other project, repeat. Probably loosen it up in a couple of days. People insist that automatic transmission fluid and acetone 50/50 mix works better, never had occasion to try it.

Tony T
02-21-2020, 11:29 AM
For that small part, a spray will get more on the bike than the adjuster ;)
Better to use a bottle/can:
https://media.napaonline.com/is/image/GenuinePartsCompany/NWMDC?$Product=GenuinePartsCompany/292680

Ken Robb
02-21-2020, 11:32 AM
Maybe an off-set screwdriver phillips or flat blade a little wider than the inside of the ferule. Tap it in gently and hope that it bite enough to let you turn it. You probably lack clearance to get an E-Z Out in and turn it. Hmm, I have a set of bits and driver with a flex cable drive that might work because it would get the handle away from the frame. If you want to bring it to La Jolla let's give that a try. :) Or maybe you can find one closer to home?

mtechnica
02-21-2020, 11:41 AM
There’s this stuff called kroil, it’s like PB blaster but some people think it’s better. I’d give that a try personally.

bikinchris
02-21-2020, 12:08 PM
THIS is the time when a rust penetrant will work. Steel on steel.
I have used Liquid Wrench, but I prefer Kano Kroil or a mixture of auto transmission fluid and acetone.
Rust penetrants don't work well or at all on Aluminum to steel.

Pierre
02-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Apply penetrant and then tap carefully with a small hammer if you can to jar the threads and help the penetrant do s thing. Repeat every few hours. Re-attempt removal after 24hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veloo
02-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Screw it!
Grabbed the soldering iron, melted an opening, pried off with a flathead.

Needs replacing anyway.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

AngryScientist
02-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Nice. I like your Take No Prisoners stley Veloo