PDA

View Full Version : OT: (or not) - Titanium Sunglasses?

William
02-21-2020, 10:48 AM
You ride it, why not wear it...I guess. At least you can open beer bottles.:beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1o48F3JRIA

W.

buddybikes
02-21-2020, 10:52 AM
My Oakley regular glasses are Ti/Carbon - match my bike

robt57
02-21-2020, 10:57 AM
From a performance standpoint, lightest glasses always best IMO.

Only been wearing glasses for 55 years though...

I suggest the best lightest lens always as well, with the best anti glare and scratch resistance. You are worth it, well... I am anyway...

Lets talk about the lens: Nylon tech is newer, is it better???

Google dejour:

Plastic, Organic plastic, CR-39
CR-39, or organic plastic (and similar compounds) is thinner and weighs half as much as glass, and it is the widest used material for general purposes sunglasses today. It exceeds the FDA requirements for impact-resistance, but it is not shatter-proof, so it is not recommended for active sports.

Polycarbonate Plastic
A remarkable strong plastic, it weighs the least and is the most impact-resistant (it can resist to the impact of a steel ball travelling at 160km/hr!) making it a perfect choice for rugged sunglasses. They also offer built-in ultraviolet filtering. These are a good choice for kids sunglasses, sports and outdoor activities, and safety glasses.

Nylon
Nylon, or polyamide, is a newer top-notch performance material, it combines the advantages of polycarbonate and CR-39 lenses. Nylon lenses have an outstanding shock resistance while being extremely lightweight, and to do not crack when drilled (making them perfect for some frame shapes). Increasingly used in general purposes eyewear, and for active sports.

I am still using the same M-frames for 30 years, a dozen ear socks and nose pieces oakley is still good about sending free. At least last time I called to get some 2018.

I am using after market heater clone, not the cheapest but cheaper than Oakley by a lot. Surprisingly durable, optically true, and seemingly scratch resistant after 3 seasons on a lot of use. Yada!

Jeff N.
02-21-2020, 10:58 AM
I ride occasionally with my Ti Oakley X-Metals. They go for a fortune now. I call 'em my Tom Cruise glasses (seen in Mission Impossible, opening scene.). They have great vertical compliance and respond well to rider input.:D

Mark McM
02-21-2020, 12:34 PM
Lets talk about the lens: Nylon tech is newer, is it better???

I'm loosely familiar with common ophthalmic lens material, but I had not heard of nylon lenses before. Which makes me wonder about its optical properties. For example, the article quoted above compares CR-39 & polycarbonate with Nylon, without mention of optical properties like refractive index or Abbe numbers. For example, while polycarbonate lenses are lighter and more shatter resistant than CR-39, its lower Abbe number produces more chromatic aberration that CR-39, so it is not optically as good. In a quick search of ophthalmic materials, I can't find any optical properties of Nylon lenses, which makes me wonder if it is optically as good as other ophthalmic materials.

eippo1
02-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Well that's an interesting ad. One of the advantages to Ti with sunglasses and glasses at least is how thin they can get them. So kinda silly to have those so thick.

I have a pair of Maui Jims that are featherlight due to the super-thin titanium arms. Also have a pair of regular glasses made the same way. Love how light they are since pretty much the only weight is in the lenses. Only drawback is their fragility.

alwayssnacking
02-23-2020, 11:08 PM
Really want to try those Roka titanium lifestyle glasses for everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis
02-23-2020, 11:21 PM
My Marchon Flexon frames (everyday wear) are Ti, and have lasted a long time. Prescription is pretty old, but hanging in there.

They mostly make "regular" frames, but also have a few sunglasses.

https://flexon.com/Optical.html

oldpotatoe
02-24-2020, 06:37 AM
Reminds me of shave club commercials..Wonder where they are made(rhetorical...:eek:)...I have a pair of titanium frame reading glasses and every time I bend my head forward they fall off my face..:eek:

Ain't cheap, are they?

josephr
02-24-2020, 07:54 AM
this is the same dude selling Dr Squatch soap, isn't it??? he's a funny guy, not really sure I want to buy sunglassess from him tho.

Seramount
02-24-2020, 08:45 AM
my everyday specs have 'designer' Ti frames...nice-looking, super-light, and very comfy.

but, they came with a hefty price tag.

with progressive bi-focal, photochromic (Transition Xtractive) lenses, scratch-resistant coating, and the eye exam had to shell out $1350. ouch.

kingpin75s
02-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Well that's an interesting ad. One of the advantages to Ti with sunglasses and glasses at least is how thin they can get them. So kinda silly to have those so thick.

I have a pair of Maui Jims that are featherlight due to the super-thin titanium arms. Also have a pair of regular glasses made the same way. Love how light they are since pretty much the only weight is in the lenses. Only drawback is their fragility.

Exactly. Have been rolling with Maui Jim Ti glasses for a decade. Love how they disappear under my helmet/hat etc. I generally take care of things well so their fragility HAD not been an issue for me.

That said, I was on my drop bar dirt fat a month or so ago after a couple of rounds at the pub and had the great idea to go into my drops to hit a corner at speed in the snow. Did not go well. Front tire wash and face plant with the Jim's taking the brunt of it. Need new Maui Jim's Ti glasses now and apparently the model I had is not common.

Ozz
02-24-2020, 10:20 AM
Exactly. Have been rolling with Maui Jim Ti glasses for a decade. ....

+1

Picked up pair of these a couple years ago while on vacation...so light, they are like not wearing sunglasses. Downside: no beer bottle opener....

slowpoke
02-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Need new Maui Jim's Ti glasses now and apparently the model I had is not common.

What did you end up replacing your original Maui Jim glasses with?

benb
02-24-2020, 06:46 PM
I’ve had a lot of glasses due to needing them.

I’ve had several Ti frames, both for eyeglasses and for sunglasses.

My opinion is the design of the frame is way more important than the material.

I’ve had 2 pairs of Maui Jim frames and they’re great.

Oakleys are kind of clunky imo. They’re overbuilt to the point that it’s unnecessary. The further they get from dedicated sports glasses the worse this is. The frames corrode/wear quite a bit too. (Not the same as breaking but still annoying)

I tried some super high end IC Berlin frames this winter. They were so light they were barely there, but they were terrible in terms of staying put on my face and the Rx ended up not working for me.

It’s all very hit and miss. Also even if you don’t have an Rx a good optician can either recommend frames that fit or adjust them to work better. They have to get good for fitting people with tough prescriptions.

old_fat_and_slow
02-26-2020, 01:25 PM
Behind the scenes footage from the video posted by the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhBOEeiOa4

BTW, watching some of the Dr. Squatch soap videos on YouTube are effing hilarious.

Turns out the pitch man is a stand-up comedian from San Diego.

What was the original purpose of these videos? They're way over the standard 30 sec limit for network TV. Are people just supposed to seek them out on YouTube cuz they're effin' funny?

What the hey! They are funny.

dookie
02-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Glasses frame (Jeep!) AND watch (Revue Thommen) here...

SlowPokePete
02-27-2020, 03:22 AM
I love titanium.

But metal frames are COLD in the winter.

SPP

#stillwaitingforwinter

kingpin75s
02-27-2020, 09:51 AM
What did you end up replacing your original Maui Jim glasses with?

I am admittedly the type to track down old stock of my favorite anything prior to moving forward with something new. As such, my search is still on as I have a couple of pairs of non-Ti Maui Jim's to get me by for now.

Pretty sure my old pair was the grey version of this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Authentic-Maui-Jim-Olowalo-Flex-Titanium-526-02-Rootbeer-Copper-HCL-Bronze/293462417776?epid=136950676&hash=item4453b92170:g:AV8AAOSwcJVeO4hZ

Will be looking for something very similar in the details if I cannot find a pair of these I like in the next month or so.

kingpin75s
02-27-2020, 09:54 AM
I love titanium.

But metal frames are COLD in the winter.

SPP

#stillwaitingforwinter

I could see that, but would add that the contact points on the Maui Jim's I had were not Ti so no cold issues on mine. That said, a good consideration to think of when trying on is if a model does put your skin in contact with the metal.

You need some Ti glasses to match that sweet fork ;)