PDA

View Full Version : Goo Gone safe on clear coats?

Veloo
02-21-2020, 08:34 AM
Never used Goo Gone but it's been recommended here lots.
This one is on sale this week and I'm overhauling a friend's bike that has glue residue from chainstay protectors and other protective tape.

Is it safe on clear coats? This frame has a nice matte finish that I wouldn't want to ruin with an incompatible solvent.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/goo-gone-spray-gel-0530180p.html#srp

ultraman6970
02-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Thats a tough call due to the finish.

This is what I would do, put tiny piece of duct tape (or a sticker) under the bb shell, remove it carefully... glue might get stuck in the shell, then put some of that goo off thingy in a piece of paper and see what could happens.

DeBike
02-21-2020, 08:47 AM
I use it on all materials and have never had a problem with it.

AngryScientist
02-21-2020, 08:48 AM
generally, the answer would be yes:

https://googone.com/howto/blog/does-goo-gone-work-on-that/

however matte finishes are a different animal, usually.

i doubt the goo-gone would actually harm the clearcoat, but it may not maintain the matte look. often compounds of sorts "polish" the matte look, making the area look off or ununiform.

as ultra says, test a spot, but tread lightly with this one.

dawn dish soap and warm water are a safer bet!

cfox
02-21-2020, 08:52 AM
WD-40 removes glue residue like a champ and won't hurt clear coat one bit.

sitzmark
02-21-2020, 08:54 AM
“Melted” clear coat on my lugged Trek mtb years ago

Dave
02-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Test an inconspicuous spot first. Depending on what you're trying to remove, other products may be better. I used goo gone to remove the adhesive left after removing my chain stay protection. It worked great for gloss clearcoat. Mineral spirits works, but in this case it wasn't working very fast.

Any rubbing on a matte finish may shine it up. That's why I'd never buy a matte finished frame, unless I felt comfortable in coating it with gloss clear coat.

Blue Jays
02-21-2020, 09:23 AM
My first "go to" when removing sticky residue is olive oil like one would use on a salad.
It nearly always works and without any lingering fear of damaging a bicycle paint finish.

Hindmost
02-21-2020, 09:44 AM
I found those aerosol motorcycle cleaner/polishes to be very surface-friendly but they easily cut through a lot of sticky, stuck-on stuff.

Steve in SLO
02-21-2020, 09:50 AM
I am with Blue Jays. Olive oil, vegetable oil, etc. would be a good solution. Both are very gentle. You can soak paper towel and set it on top to let it soften up the adhesive, then remove it with least abrasive material you can fine. I sometimes use my finger and just roll it off, then gently rinse with soap/water. As has been said above any abraiding of the clearcoat will burnish it to a dull shine, so be aware of that.

vincenz
02-21-2020, 10:49 AM
I’ve used goo gone on multiple bikes and wheels with glossy clear coat and never had an issue. You don’t need to use much. One drop on a microfiber cloth and some rubbing and it’s off in seconds. The stuff works wonders.

jds108
02-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Goo Gone will be fine. It's the other product called "Goof off" that is much more aggressive - so aggressive that I've had it dissolve both paint on a surface and the plastic itself in a different case. I suspect my one little bottle of Goof Off will last my lifetime as I only use it on bare metal now.

Elefantino
02-21-2020, 01:19 PM
Second WD-40. It's great for road tar.

johnmdesigner
02-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Bestine rubber cement thinner will remove any kind of adhesive residue and evaporate immediately. Safe on all surfaces.

Veloo
02-22-2020, 08:04 AM
The gunk on the frame came off mechanically and quite easily.

I just cleaned some electrical tape glue off the seatpost with olive oil. Worked really well. Who'd a thunk it.
I'll stick to that method so I don't have yet another bottle of chemicals on the shelf and it'll serve double duty in the kitchen too.

Thanks for the tips.

texbike
02-22-2020, 08:59 AM
My first "go to" when removing sticky residue is olive oil like one would use on a salad.
It nearly always works and without any lingering fear of damaging a bicycle paint finish.

I am with Blue Jays. Olive oil, vegetable oil, etc. would be a good solution. Both are very gentle. You can soak paper towel and set it on top to let it soften up the adhesive, then remove it with least abrasive material you can fine. I sometimes use my finger and just roll it off, then gently rinse with soap/water. As has been said above any abraiding of the clearcoat will burnish it to a dull shine, so be aware of that.

Hmmm. Cool suggestion. Filed away for future reference. Thanks!

Texbike

dgauthier
02-22-2020, 09:09 AM
Low Odor Mineral Spirits is much cheaper than Goo-gone, and that's the ingredient in Goo-gone that does the work.

That said, I've never heard of using olive oil! If it does in fact work, that's a real find. I'll have to try it.

And after you're done, you can relax with a nice plate of bucatini...