PDA

View Full Version : online auction sites

Tickdoc
02-20-2020, 06:19 PM
I've got some new in box dress shoes I'm getting rid of along with some other stuff I don't need like an apple pencil.

ebay?
Mercari?
Poshmark?

Anything better out there?

skiezo
02-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Ill buy the apple pencil if it still works.
Other than that I have no idea on selling the other stuff.

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 06:42 PM
I've got some new in box dress shoes I'm getting rid of along with some other stuff I don't need like an apple pencil.

ebay?
Mercari?
Poshmark?

Anything better out there?

Surprisingly, maybe Facebook Marketplace. Unless you don't want someone coming to your house (and casing the joint).

RobJ
02-20-2020, 06:49 PM
My daughter has done well with Poshmark on both buying and selling ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Monsieur Toast
02-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately Facebook Marketplace has been my new go-to for local sales after years of Craigslist. I usually will also post the item on eBay with a slightly higher asking price, plus shipping fee. Eventually it gets sold via one of those three places, and if not it goes to Goodwill.

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 07:01 PM
...if not it goes to Goodwill.

Or the town dump, and by town dump, I mean the recycling area.

Sometimes things don't even make it onto the ground before someone offers to take it... Right now I've got an old fireplace brass/glass door set and log grate that nobody seems to want on FB Marketplace. I'll take them to the dump, where people will stand in line to take them.

Oh well...as long as the stuff is getting reused...

Spaghetti Legs
02-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Or the town dump, and by town dump, I mean the recycling area.

Sometimes things don't even make it onto the ground before someone offers to take it... Right now I've got an old fireplace brass/glass door set and log grate that nobody seems to want on FB Marketplace. I'll take them to the dump, where people will stand in line to take them.

Oh well...as long as the stuff is getting reused...

We used to have a saying in Memphis - if you want to get rid of something, put it on the curb with a “free” sign. If it’s still there next day, put a “$20 “ sign on it.

Dead Man
02-20-2020, 09:40 PM
We used to have a saying in Memphis - if you want to get rid of something, put it on the curb with a “free” sign. If it’s still there next day, put a “$20 “ sign on it.

ive always found $20 gets rid of stuff faster and with less hassle than listing as free, on CL at least. when you list stuff for free you just get a bunch of flakes who apparently have no sense of obligation and after enthusiastically telling you theyre coming to get it never show.

btw - i like the username. my gf calls me "oatmeal legs"

food legs are phun

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 09:54 PM
ive always found $20 gets rid of stuff faster and with less hassle than listing as free, on CL at least. when you list stuff for free you just get a bunch of flakes who apparently have no sense of obligation and after enthusiastically telling you theyre coming to get it never show.

That's a great idea. I was just thinking about taking the fireplace stuff to the dump. I'd probably have to pay to toss it, even though someone else would pick it up.

So I was thinking about posting free on FB; I'll try the $20 approach...will report back. :)

commandcomm
02-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Depending on the type Syleforum.net may work. They need to be high end to sell on that site.

Louis
02-20-2020, 11:22 PM
If they look like these, I'm sure they'll sell in a snap:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NINTCHDBPICT000419155945.jpg?w=960

gasman
02-21-2020, 12:10 AM
I take really old stuff that I would give away free and drop it off in an alleyway between the multiple student apt complexes here it town. It’s always gone by the next day.
Old toys and reasonable clothes , like Louis’s shoes above, go to Goodwill or StVdePaul.