PDA

View Full Version : Serrota Fierte Ti 2004 vs. Pegoretti Luigino 2005

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I am trying to decide between these two bikes at my LBS. I am older rider 56 I ride long on the weekends and during the week 25 miles 3 times a week. The Pegoretti has ultegra and bontrager race lite wheels, the Serotta has Campy Centaur and Campy Vento wheels. Thanks in advance.

chrisroph
01-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Don't you need both?

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I am trying to decide between these two bikes at my LBS. I am older rider 56 I ride long on the weekends and during the week 25 miles 3 times a week. The Pegoretti has ultegra and bontrager race lite wheels, the Serotta has Campy Centaur and Campy Vento wheels. Thanks in advance.

Assuming they both fit. What type of terrain will you be riding on?

Justin

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I will be riding on paved roads in the Northeast.

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Which part of the Northeast? Will you be riding up long, steep climbs? Flat roads? Rolling Hills?

I ask because in this case, you should choose the bike which fits the landscape.

Justin

obtuse
01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Which part of the Northeast? Will you be riding up long, steep climbs? Flat roads? Rolling Hills?

I ask because in this case, you should choose the bike which fits the landscape.

Justin

justin,
i ride in waltham on route 117. does this mean i should ride on a 1989 honda hawk with no muffler and a bad coke habit?

obtuse

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 06:00 PM
justin,
i ride in waltham on route 117. does this mean i should ride on a 1989 honda hawk with no muffler and a bad coke habit?

obtuse
That's what I would do imho.

stevep
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
i would recommend the 87 hawk.
they used the hardened valves that year... in 89 they used synthetic valves... made the thing slow on the climbs... although, obtuce,
you are used to that.

Fat Robert
01-09-2007, 06:10 PM
how does meth fit into the picture?

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Help me out guys

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Help me out guys

I would advise you get the Ti Legend if you plan on doing a lot of climbing. If you plan on rolling the flats with the occasional lump, go with the Pegoretti. If you do go with the Pegoretti, I advise you have the shop swap the Shimano for Campy... maybe some aero wheels too. It won't be light, but it will roll nicely at speed.

Justin

AgilisMerlin
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
hey are you going to be riding
hills
flats
centuries
big rides on the weekend
ride all day
ride for a couple of hours

keep the frame forever
or a couple years

do want a bike that is an investment or a classic (both will do)

do you want a
stiff frame
comfy
rigid
flixible
teeth rattling
quick
nimble
slow
predictable
etc..

do you like
shimano
campagnolo

you said you ride, but what do you want in a bike. Give more info to the group.

have you test ridden both.

i would ride both for a couple hours if poss.

One will seduce you :no:
the Other will buy you a beer :beer:

It's your choice :D

AmerliN

atmo
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
get the serotta.
the ultegra on the peg is a dealbreaker atmo.

ps
arrange disorder, huh -
;) :p :cool:
:D :rolleyes: :confused:
:( :mad: :hello:

Serpico
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
those bikes are so different, do you really want either one?

they're both good, but they're also the kind of bikes that people seem more--I dunno, "sure" about. especially the pegoretti, not many would buy that on a whim.

don't buy a bike you're not going to want in a month. good luck.

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I want a bike that gives me a good road feel that tracks well through the turns, that I can get up and hit on the hills, I am a traditionalist at heart, I ride at an average speed of 15-17. I just sold an Moser leader AX because the geometry was too aggressive.

FierteTi52
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I want a bike that gives me a good road feel that tracks well through the turns, that I can get up and hit on the hills, I am a traditionalist at heart, I ride at an average speed of 15-17. I just sold an Moser leader AX because the geometry was too aggressive.
Sounds like you answered you own question. You will much happier on the Fierte Ti.
Jeff

obtuse
01-09-2007, 08:31 PM

get the pegoretti.....it's the best of the best in terms of italian handbuilt frames. a fierte ti is a great bike; but its an entry-level price point titanium frame...the group doesn't matter. they both work fine.

obtuse

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I have heard the Pegorettis are great bikes and beautifully built. The Luigino I am looking at is a more traditional old style Italian frame. I can get a more relaxed position than on the Moser.

obtuse
01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I have heard the Pegorettis are great bikes and beautifully built. The Luigino I am looking at is a more traditional old style Italian frame. I can get a more relaxed position than on the Moser.

which one speaks to you? bicycles reveal themselves pretty quickly and then if everything is in the right place should dispear beneath you. when you jumped on the bike and started riding which felt better?

obtuse

OldDog
01-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Peg.
Campy.
Wool shorts and jersey.

Samaaron
01-09-2007, 09:40 PM
The Perogetti felt more like what I have been looking for. I have a Trek Pilot 5.2 and LBS will let me return it for credit towards the Luigino. The Pilot is carbon which did not do it for me after a long ride. I have to pay an extra 700 dollars to get the Luigino with Ultegra components and Bontrager race lite wheels.

Ginger
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM

obtuse
01-10-2007, 08:20 AM
The Perogetti felt more like what I have been looking for. I have a Trek Pilot 5.2 and LBS will let me return it for credit towards the Luigino. The Pilot is carbon which did not do it for me after a long ride. I have to pay an extra 700 dollars to get the Luigino with Ultegra components and Bontrager race lite wheels.

an extra $700 for a luigino over a pilot 5.2? jump at that. the pilot is a $2300 bicycle the luigino is a $3100 frameset.

anyway you'd probably be happy with either bike although the pilot and the fierte are alot more akin in terms of geometry.

obtuse