PDA

View Full Version : RA Cycles now open in Walnut Creek, CA

Clean39T
02-19-2020, 01:25 PM
https://www.racycles.com/explore/walnut-creek-ca

Anybody been? Might be worth a day-trip for me on a future Sac trip, combined with a trip up Diablo of course..

weisan
02-19-2020, 01:32 PM
https://www.racycles.com/explore/walnut-creek-ca

Anybody been? Might be worth a day-trip for me on a future Sac trip, combined with a trip up Diablo of course..

And Rivendell...

Elefantino
02-19-2020, 01:44 PM
I miss the Performance store in Walnut Creek ;)

jpritchet74
02-19-2020, 01:45 PM
I am going to have to swing by and check it out. Coupled with a ride up Diablo of course!

jtakeda
02-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Maybe I’ll check it out this weekend!

prototoast
02-19-2020, 01:52 PM
I'll swing by this weekend and report back.

zmalwo
02-19-2020, 02:21 PM
I wonder how someone who sells everything 2x the market price can stay open for so long. Then again they only need to sell 1 for every 10 other people sell if they have a net profit margin that's 10x the others. R&A is such a joke. Just like Apple.

charliedid
02-19-2020, 02:27 PM
I wonder how someone who sells everything 2x the market price can stay open for so long. Then again they only need to sell 1 for every 10 other people sell if they have a net profit margin that's 10x the others. R&A is such a joke. Just like Apple.

What's the market price?

Kirk007
02-19-2020, 02:31 PM

yep all those Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank, not to mention the Apple users who don't have to deal with MS operating systems.

RA may have its issues but just cause they don't drop their prices a la Competitive Cyclist every season doesn't support your hyperbole.

zmalwo
02-19-2020, 02:36 PM
yep all those Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank, not to mention the Apple users who don't have to deal with MS operating systems.

RA may have its issues but just cause they don't drop their prices a la Competitive Cyclist every season doesn't support your hyperbole.

Are you one of the guys who bought the new $999 apple monitor stand?

Kirk007
02-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Are you one of the guys who bought the new $999 apple monitor stand?

no dude, nice try at changing the subject though. I do own a Mac Air that's been a workhorse for over 5 years without a single glitch.

Kirk007
02-19-2020, 03:16 PM
My only personal interaction with RA: a few years ago while on business in NYC I had a meeting cancel and found myself with a free afternoon. Nice day so I jumped on a train and went to Brooklyn to check out RA. Yeah plenty of attitude oozing from most of the guys behind the counter. But what a show room of Colnagos Pinarellos etc.

I wasn't even at the level of a tire kicker but after oogling things for awhile I struck up a conversation with one of the older gentlemen, Vince - about my age, looked very lean and fit. Once it became clear that I new a little about bikes we had a really interesting conversation. What I remember most was discussing a Colnago EPS with the Geo paint. His take was that if you were a nice Sunday afternoon rider then ok, but that he'd get tired of looking at it if he was riding it all the time. And in any event he preferred Pinarellos. It was a perspective that I hadn't considered.

As a shopper I think it's important to understand the sellers we are dealing with. RA may not be someone's cup of tea but they have some things that others don't (or at least their website advertises that they do) and if you want it, then they have the power and can set the market price. If it doesn't sell they don't seem to have any problem with storage - it looked like they own most of a block of prime real estate.

I look forward to hearing reports about RA California and whether they carry over the Brooklyn vibe or adapt.

R3awak3n
02-19-2020, 03:21 PM
R&A is not like apple at all. One is very profitable and makes a pretty decent product. Apple used to be overpriced but now a days only some stuff is. I am not a fanboy but do have some apple stuff, all has been pretty great.
R&A, I never had a problem with them but I have no idea how they are making money.

SoCalSteve
02-19-2020, 04:56 PM
I bought a Look 595 from them many years ago, on sale. Except for a bit of New York attitude ( to be expected ) and a bit of haggling on the price, it was a very smooth transaction.

I have nothing bad to say about them. Do I wish their closeout pricing would be a bit more aggressive, sure...but who wouldn’t?

alwayssnacking
02-19-2020, 05:29 PM
i’ll check it out over this weekend!!

echappist
02-19-2020, 05:54 PM
R&A is not like apple at all. One is very profitable and makes a pretty decent product. Apple used to be overpriced but now a days only some stuff is. I am not a fanboy but do have some apple stuff, all has been pretty great.
R&A, I never had a problem with them but I have no idea how they are making money.

They are in the import/export business. Just happens that the goods are bicycles

Apparently a lot of sales to Latin American countries without an authorized supplier. Probably can get close to MSRP on those sales

The sales staff is hit or miss. Have a friend who had a less than pleasant time at the store (salesperson used some rather graphic languages to describe the bike) and ended up driving across the river to Strictly instead.

Buzz
02-20-2020, 08:13 AM
Stopped by yesterday. They obviously have spent a lot of time, effort and money designing the space as you can see in the website. Their official grand opening is a few weeks away. The staff are all local guys. Very pleasant and nice to speak with. The cafe looks to be about 90% ready to open soon. Another sharp looking space.

Wow, how “bike shops” and retail spaces / environments have changed.....

Elefantino
02-20-2020, 08:58 AM
Stopped by yesterday. They obviously have spent a lot of time, effort and money designing the space as you can see in the website. Their official grand opening is a few weeks away. The staff are all local guys. Very pleasant and nice to speak with. The cafe looks to be about 90% ready to open soon. Another sharp looking space.

Wow, how “bike shops” and retail spaces / environments have changed.....
I'm surprised The Golf Mart that was in that space closed.

It's not ideal for a bike shop (Mt. Diablo Blvd has busy traffic and you have to cross it to get in a good test ride on a quiet street) but it sure looks slick.

Worked with Matias for two years at Performance. Good guy, even though he hates Campy.

prototoast
02-22-2020, 06:43 PM
I swung by on my way home from my ride this afternoon. My first thought was I was impressed at how well-capitalized they were. It's a giant space, stocked with lots of high-end bikes, and they must be paying well enough to hire experienced workers away from other bike shops. They're going to have to sell an awful lot of bikes to keep this place operational.

As others have noted, the location is rather annoying to bike to. It's only a mile off the bike path, but that involves traversing downtown traffic on multi-lane roads with no bike lane. Maybe that doesn't matter for the customer buying a $10,000 bike, but I can't imagine it will be good for sales at the cafe or hosting rides.

The bikes they had stocked are all very, very expensive, but they had nothing particularly exotic. Above Category this is definitely not. All mass-produced bikes, and there was only a single metal bike in the whole shop (pictured below).

I'm not sure I'd ever go back. I'm not sure I'd ever recommend anyone shop there. I'm not sure they'll last more than a year, but maybe I'm wrong and enough people in Walnut Creek will really want a Pinarello without driving the extra 5 miles to Lafayette or Danville.

charliedid
02-22-2020, 08:01 PM
I swung by on my way home from my ride this afternoon. My first thought was I was impressed at how well-capitalized they were. It's a giant space, stocked with lots of high-end bikes, and they must be paying well enough to hire experienced workers away from other bike shops. They're going to have to sell an awful lot of bikes to keep this place operational.

As others have noted, the location is rather annoying to bike to. It's only a mile off the bike path, but that involves traversing downtown traffic on multi-lane roads with no bike lane. Maybe that doesn't matter for the customer buying a $10,000 bike, but I can't imagine it will be good for sales at the cafe or hosting rides.

The bikes they had stocked are all very, very expensive, but they had nothing particularly exotic. Above Category this is definitely not. All mass-produced bikes, and there was only a single metal bike in the whole shop (pictured below).

I'm not sure I'd ever go back. I'm not sure I'd ever recommend anyone shop there. I'm not sure they'll last more than a year, but maybe I'm wrong and enough people in Walnut Creek will really want a Pinarello without driving the extra 5 miles to Lafayette or Danville.

Looks nice, well focused. From a shop perspective its way easier to sell stock bikes and they net a bit more $ in the end. Far less labor involved. They have a name in the industry and it's not like they opened in Fargo. No offense to Fargo.

nobuseri
02-23-2020, 04:28 PM
I am sure they will be around for a while. Definitely catering to the higher end market. They seem to have lasted in NY for a decent while so far and rent there is more than that side of the Caldecott tunnel.

Something tells me that most of the stuff they are selling is not coming out of the showroom.

Hindmost
02-23-2020, 07:30 PM
...They seem to have lasted in NY for a decent while so far and rent there...

The family owned the building and the business next door in New York--a few years back.

Pegoready
02-23-2020, 08:27 PM
Perplexing move.

I always thought R&A in NYC worked because:

a) the family owned the building = no rent.

b) R&A is an extension of a bigger family business next door, and possibly just a passion project for the son. It doesn't have to be profitable and might actually be a good money funnel for tax purposes, though that's wild speculation on my part.

c) they pack that store to the gills, giving it the feel of one of those greybox camera stores. There's a lot of efficiency per sq. foot.

d) they got that NYC attitude, which has a certain charm to the right customer

e) most importantly, they are in NYC and can sell to shopping tourists desperate to get a high end bike without paying their country's import taxes

None of that appears to be the case in Walnut Creek- local staff (i.e. laid back CA attitude), they're paying rent in the Bay Area, sparse store, and WC isn't exactly a hub for people coming into the country to shop for luxury goods.

I'll be curious to see what the end game is here.

peanutgallery
02-23-2020, 09:13 PM
11k square feet of real estate in Walnut Creek, all those employees they poached, "sponsored" collections of inventory, self warranty, cafe? All I see is overhead, what could possibly go wrong? Admire the bravado to swim against the current bicycle retail climate

The more expensive or niche the bike product, the crappier the profit margin. This'll be interesting to watch, they'll have churn a massive amount of inventory to tread water. Someone is going to have to buy shedloads of stuff. Nice looking store, though

pbarry
02-23-2020, 09:44 PM
They’ve been in Brooklyn for three decades at least. Not neophytes at retail, but there’s the pesky portion of overhead, rent, now. Do we know if they bought the building in WC?

echappist
02-23-2020, 09:56 PM
They’ve been in Brooklyn for three decades at least. Not neophytes at retail, but there’s the pesky portion of overhead, rent, now. Do we know if they bought the building in WC?

According to city records (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/acris.page), the entire lot that contains 105 5th Ave of Brooklyn, NY is owned by Cabbad Family, LLC. Philip Cabbad is the founder of R&A Cycles, and Albert Cabbad is the current CEO.

ultraman6970
02-23-2020, 10:06 PM
If you sell bikes and you dont have to pay rent, you can survive anything!!!

zzy
02-23-2020, 10:11 PM
They own a lot more than just 105 5th..

CiclistiCliff
02-24-2020, 12:16 AM

CiclistiCliff
02-25-2020, 10:32 PM
Thanks to those that came in and look forward to meeting more of you. Don’t be afraid to say hi, we don’t bite.

Happy to answer questions here or with a cup of coffee at the store.

-Matias

Elefantino
02-26-2020, 05:37 AM
Happy to answer questions here
-Matias.
Do you still hate Campy? :D

PBWrench
02-26-2020, 06:56 AM
Purchased a C40 frame from R&A by phone many years ago -- delighted with the transaction. I was thrilled when I moved to Brooklyn last year and found that R&A was right around the corner. Prices are comparable to other LBS. Their stock is mass-produced high end gorgeous Italian and Swiss eye-candy. You get what you pay for. Including a little attitude. But fugettaboutit. I often pass another bike store to buy staples there because the stock is so drool-worthy and it is a treat to hang there for a little while. Props to Felix and Victor and Phil.

CiclistiCliff
02-26-2020, 07:46 AM
Do you still hate Campy? :D

I never did, just needed something to give you a hard time about :bike:

No attitude allowed. No ‘pushing sales’. We’re a diverse group that love bikes, that’s all. Do we stock a lot of high end? Yes. Do we stock everything else? You betcha.

Still cleaning up inventory, building demo bikes, refining our POS system and doing everything we can to make it a pleasant experience for both customer and staff.

Elefantino
02-26-2020, 07:55 AM
I never did, just needed something to give you a hard time about :bike:

No attitude allowed. No ‘pushing sales’. We’re a diverse group that love bikes, that’s all. Do we stock a lot of high end? Yes. Do we stock everything else? You betcha.

Still cleaning up inventory, building demo bikes, refining our POS system and doing everything we can to make it a pleasant experience for both customer and staff.
Was giving you an equally hard time!

Good luck to you guys. Store looks great from the pix I saw. Hope you beat Mike's to a pulp. :eek:

oldpotatoe
02-26-2020, 08:13 AM
11k square feet of real estate in Walnut Creek, all those employees they poached, "sponsored" collections of inventory, self warranty, cafe? All I see is overhead, what could possibly go wrong? Admire the bravado to swim against the current bicycle retail climate

The more expensive or niche the bike product, the crappier the profit margin. This'll be interesting to watch, they'll have churn a massive amount of inventory to tread water. Someone is going to have to buy shedloads of stuff. Nice looking store, though

It's already been mentioned..I'll bet the vast majority of stuff R&A sells is over the phone/interweb..Mailorder, like ExCel here in the republic.

As for margin..the margin on trekspecializedgiantcannodale is AWFUL..particularly was new models come out. Gotta move them and lose even more $. For exotic/expensive/niche stuff, that's hard to find elsewhere(like online), you can approach MSRP/MAP..No reason to discount any of it.

Mike V
02-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Stopped by today. They have a very big showroom. Salesperson I talked to was from the Brooklyn store and was very nice. Parking was full and only three patrons. Didn't see a bike with Campagnolo. I want to go back in a month or so when they're up to steam.

CiclistiCliff
03-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Heard your complaint about Campy.

Hope this calms the crowd. Should be ready on Thursday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QPAnyllSX/

enr1co
03-09-2020, 10:54 PM
Rained canned my SAT Am ride plans so good opportunity to stop by RA cycles, talk story w/ Matias and check out all the neato cycling candy :)

enr1co
03-09-2020, 11:01 PM
More pics

tv_vt
03-10-2020, 07:01 AM
Wow, that's like, what, a bazillion dollars worth of inventory there?!

nobuseri
03-10-2020, 07:11 AM
Basically, this takes “presentation” to a whole different level.
Very nice shop. I will be sure to stop by when I am back in the area.

peanutgallery
03-10-2020, 07:47 AM
I see overhead, lots of it

Definitely doing their way. Gotta respect that

Hindmost
03-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting the photos. Been a long time since I've been impressed with a bike shop. Are there other bike shops with that impressive display of high-end product?

CiclistiCliff
03-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Hi Enrico, great seeing you and catching up at the store. Thanks for the pictures too!

It was a crazy weekend for us, but fun. Hope everyone who swung by had a positive experience and looking forward to meeting more paceliners. Look for the really tall guy in the service department.

Lots of overhead? Of course there is. But it’s either continue the modus operandi of ‘let’s look at the monitor and talk about said product and order’ or it’s ‘let’s walk over and grab the THM or Bora or Zipp or F12 or tire and talk about it’.

Will it work? Only time will tell, but we’re a group of industry guys that love what we do, want to share our knowledge and love our community.

Mikej
03-11-2020, 10:23 AM
Man, they are ALL-IN!

SoCalSteve
03-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Hi Enrico, great seeing you and catching up at the store. Thanks for the pictures too!

It was a crazy weekend for us, but fun. Hope everyone who swung by had a positive experience and looking forward to meeting more paceliners. Look for the really tall guy in the service department.

Lots of overhead? Of course there is. But it’s either continue the modus operandi of ‘let’s look at the monitor and talk about said product and order’ or it’s ‘let’s walk over and grab the THM or Bora or Zipp or F12 or tire and talk about it’.

Will it work? Only time will tell, but we’re a group of industry guys that love what we do, want to share our knowledge and love our community.

I love this attitude and business model! Wish I lived closer, I would support your shop.

oldpotatoe
03-12-2020, 05:53 AM

If I may ask..who do you get your Campag stuff from? PM is ya like.

peanutgallery
03-12-2020, 06:29 AM
Gustavo Fring, he's our go-to guy for Campy import

If I may ask..who do you get your Campag stuff from? PM is ya like.

oldpotatoe
03-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Gustavo Fring, he's our go-to guy for Campy import

?? Sorry, who's Gustavo Fring??

Elefantino
03-12-2020, 06:55 AM
A character in "Breaking Bad."

I know ... I've never seen the show, either.

peanutgallery
03-12-2020, 06:55 AM
He's head of import for Los Pollos Hermanos

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. You're retired, figured you would have that dialed:) Have a good trip Disney

oldpotatoe
03-13-2020, 05:46 AM
He's head of import for Los Pollos Hermanos

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. You're retired, figured you would have that dialed:) Have a good trip Disney

See my post on the 'new' virus thread..Disney parks closed until further notice..oh well..

BUT never watched the 2 above..wife is squeamish about that type stuff...

BUT did just finish 'Outsider'..really good..

peanutgallery
03-13-2020, 06:44 AM
After being locked down for a few weeks it'll beat the heck out of Property Brothers or American Pickers:)

See my post on the 'new' virus thread..Disney parks closed until further notice..oh well..

BUT did just finish 'Outsider'..really good..

cgolvin
03-13-2020, 11:48 AM

I never watched Breaking Bad but think Better Call Saul is outstanding, not much to be squeamish about (yet, this season may ramp things up a bit)

FlashUNC
03-13-2020, 01:01 PM

You've got the Assos Equipe RS long sleeves in stock? Oh snaps I know where I'm going this weekend.

Tabl10s
03-15-2020, 03:37 PM

They're from Bklyn, the Mob is in Bklyn, I used to be from Bklyn...

Howard.

e-RICHIE
03-15-2020, 04:11 PM
They're from Bklyn, the Mob is in Bklyn, <truncated >.

What does that mean/what are you insinuating?

jpritchet74
11-03-2020, 06:01 PM
I went into the shop today - and WOW. Just WOW. So impressive. Knowledgeable staff too.

It looks like I finally have a "local" shop to buy the Gucci stuff from.