PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever owned a Thule Utility trailer?

veggieburger
02-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Recently we sold our trailer. It was used for hauling firewood, helping friends move, dragging extra bikes to races. The old girl was made of plywood and lived outside, so after a couple of seasons, the bed started to get soft spots.

Occasionally I see Thule utility trailers come up for sale. They are small, but galvanized and have a plastic cover for the bed. My concern would be getting spare parts if needed (since I don't think these are distributed any longer).

Just wondering if you have owned one and what is your impression of them.

Thanks!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/thule-2-jpg.139328/

AngryScientist
02-19-2020, 08:35 AM
oh yea, utility trailers are wildly useful and much more practical for almost everything than owning a large truck. i have a foldable one that i use all the time. it's great to be able to go to the store and effortlessly throw full sheets of plywood on the deck.

the thule ones look OK, but i think that top would reduce the usability a bit. i wouldnt worry about spare parts though, for something that simple and basic, you'll always be able to source generic stuff to keep it moving. still, i'd rather have a foldable flat one with a wood deck. if it has to live outside, coat the wood deck with truck bedliner and it'll last well.

C40_guy
02-19-2020, 09:42 AM
I've been casually looking for a Sylvan (https://www.sylvansport.com/go-easy/) sports trailer.

Looks pretty configurable...

Jeckel30
02-19-2020, 09:49 AM
I have a friend who owns one and I have borrowed it multiple times. I love that it is lightweight, still looks great after numerous years, and is perfect to store gear in. It pulls well and is super easy to move around by hand.

The downsides are it isn’t great as an utility trailer. The clamshell is pretty limiting. Also due to its weight and construction I am not sure it would even do well hauling a large load of lumber or rock.

My friend uses it mainly as a camping trailer and keeps most of his gear stored in it all the time. That is also what I have borrowed it for and it is perfect for that. It is nice to have something that can keep everything dry and is lockable.

veggieburger
02-19-2020, 09:53 AM
I've been casually looking for a Sylvan (https://www.sylvansport.com/go-easy/) sports trailer.

That's neat! Not sure it would suit my firewood needs tho.

C40_guy
02-19-2020, 10:12 AM
That's neat! Not sure it would suit my firewood needs tho.

Firewood, bikes, kayaks, autocross wheels, dump runs...

I probably need a couple of purpose-built trailers. :)

I get the firewood delivered...I go through 2-3 cords a winter... too much for me to scavenge or haul...

josephr
02-19-2020, 12:41 PM
oh yea, utility trailers are wildly useful and much more practical for almost everything than owning a large truck. i have a foldable one that i use all the time. it's great to be able to go to the store and effortlessly throw full sheets of plywood on the deck.

the thule ones look OK, but i think that top would reduce the usability a bit. i wouldnt worry about spare parts though, for something that simple and basic, you'll always be able to source generic stuff to keep it moving. still, i'd rather have a foldable flat one with a wood deck. if it has to live outside, coat the wood deck with truck bedliner and it'll last well.

a couple of cans of Flex-Seal and you're good to go!

pdmtong
02-19-2020, 01:11 PM
I have a friend who owns one and I have borrowed it multiple times. I love that it is lightweight, still looks great after numerous years, and is perfect to store gear in. It pulls well and is super easy to move around by hand.

The downsides are it isn’t great as an utility trailer. The clamshell is pretty limiting. Also due to its weight and construction I am not sure it would even do well hauling a large load of lumber or rock.

My friend uses it mainly as a camping trailer and keeps most of his gear stored in it all the time. That is also what I have borrowed it for and it is perfect for that. It is nice to have something that can keep everything dry and is lockable.

^ this
looks more like a gear trailer when you cant fit it all inside or on top not a home project / material hauler.

I have a suburban which is great for hauling clean stuff...but there is no way i fill the back inside with dirt wood etc...it's just not the right vehicle.

Clancy
02-19-2020, 11:00 PM
I have one of these....

https://www.yakima.com/rackandroll-66-trailer

Absolutely love it, very easy to move around like a hand cart, easy to hook-up, walk down to the shore, stable with two kayaks up to 80+ mph as if it wasn’t there. You can fold the wheels up and stand on its end and store flat against the way. Comes with the two cross rails so very easy to mount bike racks, kayak racks, cargo baskets, etc. Be easy enough to build a large box out of plywood that could be used for the occasional firewood hauling. Yakima also makes different baskets that quickly mount on the cross bars.

Dave B
02-20-2020, 03:12 AM
How are these at highway speeds? They look light as heck.

PaMtbRider
02-20-2020, 07:06 AM
I had a Malone trailer for kayaks which was similar to the Thule. One thing to remember is these trailers are typically sprung very lightly. They are great by not beating up your bike, boats, gear, whatever, by not being stiffly sprung. A load of firewood would pretty quickly overload this trailer.

Clancy
02-20-2020, 07:14 AM
How are these at highway speeds? They look light as heck.

80 is the legal limit in parts of Texas meaning one can go 85. Trailer tracked solidly at those speeds.

YoKev
02-20-2020, 07:18 AM

For the past 10 years, my parents have camped for 4-5 weeks a year with their Sylvan.

It is super configurable. It keeps them dry. They love it.

It's also been used to move me twice , carry 6' sections of fencing (shell cranked all the way up), and two couches with no issues.

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 09:20 AM
A load of firewood would pretty quickly overload this trailer.

Standard load rating on this trailer is 250 lbs. With HD springs, it's 350 lbs.

My little Gorilla (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Carts-4-cu-ft-Steel-Utility-Cart-GCG-2140/309542653) cart is rated for 800 lbs and loaded, it hauls 2 days worth of wood from the woodpile to the garage.

Not sure I'd be using any small utility trailer for firewood unless its just for the occasional scavenging (finding a round or three by the side of the road).

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 09:24 AM
For the past 10 years, my parents have camped for 4-5 weeks a year with their Sylvan.

It is super configurable. It keeps them dry. They love it.

It's also been used to move me twice , carry 6' sections of fencing (shell cranked all the way up), and two couches with no issues.

Now I really want one! :)

admaung
10-30-2023, 06:29 AM
I actually owned a Thule utility trailer for a while. It was quite sturdy and great for small loads, but I found it to be a bit too small for my needs, especially when it came to family camping trips where we had a lot to carry. The galvanization and the plastic cover were definitely pros, protecting the bed effectively. However, getting spare parts was a bit of a concern, given their limited availability.

C40_guy
10-30-2023, 06:45 AM
I've had my Sylvan Sport Go Easy for just over a year now and absolutely love it. It is incredibly versatile and has stood up to everything I've asked it to do...and more...a couple of kayaks, an Echelon trainer (like a Peleton), roofing material, 800+ lbs of mulch, my fat tire bike.

Look for one used at around $2K, or just buy new for $3500. It will last you forever.

Thule racks attach beautifully to the upper rails (and in fact the trailer is delivered with a couple of square bars installed.)