PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Bikes are SUV's

dbnm
02-18-2020, 08:29 AM
This is amusing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreed/2020/02/18/gravel-bikes-are-the-suvs-of-cycling-and-vice-versa-heres-the-side-by-side-comparison/#6fb3057a2c6c

LegendRider
02-18-2020, 08:44 AM
I want the Toyota 4Runner of gravel bikes. Dependable and ready for true off-road adventure.

Burning Pines
02-18-2020, 08:50 AM
I want the Toyota 4Runner of gravel bikes. Dependable and ready for true off-road adventure.
So a mountain bike

Gummee
02-18-2020, 09:28 AM
So a mountain bike

In selling bikes, I've always compared road bikes to Porsches, Mtn bikes to Jeeps, and gravel bikes to SUVs

After all, if you want to go fast on smooth pavement, you'd rather have a Porsche, but they don't do dirt trails very well...

If you want to go off-roading, you grab a mtn bike aka Jeep, but they're not as good on the road. Yeah, they'll do it like a Porsche can do a dirt road, but that's not it's natural habitat

...or you can get an SUV aka gravel bike and do both OK but they don't do any one thing very well...

M

Clean39T
02-18-2020, 09:29 AM
This is amusing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreed/2020/02/18/gravel-bikes-are-the-suvs-of-cycling-and-vice-versa-heres-the-side-by-side-comparison/#6fb3057a2c6cPretty accurate, and a fun read.

But to really troll us, they shoulda reached back further...

FJ Cruiser = Ti 26er drop-bar conversion w purple anodized everything (bonus points for Ringle peace-sign cable hangers)

Bronco II = Redline Alum Cross Bike circa 1996

Volvo XC60 = Trek Domane

Defender 90 = Gen 1 Ti Fargo w AXS Mullet

Ford Expedition = Rawland XSogn

Chevy Avalanche = Motobecane Ti 29er w steel fork, mechanical disks, and gevenalle shifters

Jeep Wrangler = Specialized Allez Steel w 650b

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

robt57
02-18-2020, 10:14 AM
Take away for me:

>>The premium version of the Canyon Grail ($5,000)

The Canyon Grail CF SLX 8.0 eTap is $5k ???

Seems quite the bargain, no??

ltwtsculler91
02-18-2020, 10:30 AM
Take away for me:

>>The premium version of the Canyon Grail ($5,000)

The Canyon Grail CF SLX 8.0 eTap is $5k ???

Seems quite the bargain, no??

I mean a Trek Checkpoint SL 7 is $6k or a Boone 7 is $5k...

Seems to be right in line for a Force eTap build.

I know where I'd rather spend my money for a gravel bike and it isn't the Canyon.

robt57
02-18-2020, 10:44 AM
I mean a Trek Checkpoint SL 7 is $6k or a Boone 7 is $5k...

Seems to be right in line for a Force eTap build.

I know where I'd rather spend my money for a gravel bike and it isn't the Canyon.

Hmm. Guess I've not been paying attention. The Boone is Series 6 oclv and 12s eTap also. Seems a bargin.

Only was familiar with the redTap and what a friend paid for a eTap Checkpoint. [north/5k++] That Boone seems reasonable to me as well.

Schooled I guess...

ltwtsculler91
02-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Hmm. Guess I've not been paying attention. The Boone is Series 6 oclv and 12s eTap also. Seems a bargin.

Only was familiar with the redTap and what a friend paid for a eTap Checkpoint. [north/5k++] That Boone seems reasonable to me as well.

Schooled I guess...

The Boone has been the best deal going at Trek for a while. Top level carbon at mid level price and it's a super fun bike that builds up pretty light.

Specialized is a similar situation as the Crux models all have the same frame regardless of if they say SWorks or not...