PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Hero 8 experiences?

RobJ
02-17-2020, 10:52 PM
Looking for feedback on the latest Hero 8 version mainly for its use on the bike, both recording video and using for still shots. Thinking this in place of a small P&S which would only give me photos. I was a photographer so aware of the shooting features the P&S would bring. I have a Hero 5 now and thinking of upgrading with their current trade in promotion. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ORMojo
02-17-2020, 11:34 PM
I can't speak to experience using the Hero 8 on a bike, but I can comment on it as an upgrade. I got my 10-year-old the Hero 8 bundle (and other accessories) this past Christmas, while I have had the Hero 5 since it came out, what, about 3.5 years ago. My daughter has used the 8 a LOT over the past two months, and I've had the opportunity to use it a little - just this past weekend I used it extensively during my daughter's basketball tournament covering four games over two days.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, in my opinion it is well worth upgrading from 5 to 8. I say go for it.

C40_guy
02-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Looking for feedback on the latest Hero 8 version mainly for its use on the bike, both recording video and using for still shots. Thinking this in place of a small P&S which would only give me photos. I was a photographer so aware of the shooting features the P&S would bring. I have a Hero 5 now and thinking of upgrading with their current trade in promotion. Thanks!

I assume that you know this...worth mentioning it for others who may not.

You don't need to trade in your 5 for the $100 discount. If you send them any digital camera, working or not, you get the $100 discount.

I upgraded from a 5 to a 7. Major improvement in stabilization. I understand that the 8 is a nice upgrade from the 7... damn them! :)

RobJ
02-18-2020, 10:06 AM
I assume that you know this...worth mentioning it for others who may not.

You don't need to trade in your 5 for the $100 discount. If you send them any digital camera, working or not, you get the $100 discount.

I upgraded from a 5 to a 7. Major improvement in stabilization. I understand that the 8 is a nice upgrade from the 7... damn them! :)

Thanks for pointing out. I should have been clearer too, that my plan was to send in anything and then sell the 5 on fleabay or something...

nobuseri
02-18-2020, 10:20 AM
I may do this as well. I have a Hero 5 as well. Will put it up on ebay and trade in an older digicam.

Thanks for the heads up on the trade-in deal. :)

R3awak3n
02-18-2020, 11:05 AM
I think if you have the 7 (I know you don't), then the 8 is not much of an upgrade but if you have older ones, its a worthy upgraded. The new stabilization is pretty incredible.

2LeftCleats
02-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Tangential to OP’s question, but since it’s been mentioned, why do they want an old digital camera “in any condition “? Can’t believe they have a use for it. Why not simply take the $100 off and avoid the extra step?

C40_guy
02-18-2020, 11:40 AM
eBay market has gone to crap. There's so much posted that nobody uses it anymore. :)

I'd suggest that you post your 5 on the PL Marketplace and on Amazon.

Relative to eBay, I've gotten much better pricing and a number of very quick sales on Amazon...

Dired
03-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Are there any good alternatives to gopro for commuting? I recently started citibiking in and have been considering a 360 cam for the helmet. Apologies to the OP if this hijacks the original topic, but figured this is a good place to ask. Thanks!