PDA

View Full Version : thickest helicopter protective tape?

eddief
02-17-2020, 09:04 AM
I want to protect the carbon around the drive side bottom bracket; between the small chainring and the frame. My Di2 runs perfectly but I have experienced a couple of fluke chain derailments and don't want gouges in the carbon down there. So not so interested in light weight paint protection as I am in something that can really try to fend off the chain.

I know I could get one of those add on thingies that attaches to the fd derailleur tab but think a good thick strong tape would do the job. No one will see it so maybe there is something better than clear tape?

Black Dog
02-17-2020, 09:07 AM
I want to protect the carbon around the drive side bottom bracket; between the small chainring and the frame. My Di2 runs perfectly but I have experienced a couple of fluke chain derailments and don't want gouges in the carbon down there. So not so interested in light weight paint protection as I am in something that can really try to fend off the chain.

I know I could get one of those add on thingies that attaches to the fd derailleur tab but think a good thick strong tape would do the job. No one will see it so maybe there is something better than clear tape?

Get a good clear tape and layer it until you have the thickness you want.

one60
02-17-2020, 09:55 AM
Just got some of the Shelter tape for a gravel build. This stuff is quite different from heli-tape or clear vinyl chip protecting film as its thick and viscous making it perfect for downtubes and BB areas. (Its overkill for protecting against cable rub) Comes in a wide width which can be cut to size or precut kits. Check out the videos demonstrating how tough this stuff is.

dave thompson
02-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Eddie, how big of a piece do you need? I’ve got some ‘ski tape’ which is intended to protect the top of snow skis from being gouged when they get crossed. It’s like helicopter tape on steroids, not thin at all.

Send me your mailing address and I’ll get off some to you.

parris
02-17-2020, 10:36 AM
I was lucky enough a bunch of years ago to be given some super heavy duty electrical tape that has worked very well for protecting surfaces. It is thicker than other electrical tape that I've used. I don't know the part number but it's a 3M product and the roll that I have is aroudn 2.5 inches wide.

I like it for the extra thickness, it sticks well yet hasn't damaged paint when I've had to remove it from the bike. It may be another option for you to look at.

yinzerniner
02-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Just got some of the Shelter tape for a gravel build. This stuff is quite different from heli-tape or clear vinyl chip protecting film as its thick and viscous making it perfect for downtubes and BB areas. (Its overkill for protecting against cable rub) Comes in a wide width which can be cut to size or precut kits. Check out the videos demonstrating how tough this stuff is.

That shelter stuff is amazing. Had it on a previous carbon bike and you can feel a bit of give in the tape itself, and after numerous rock hits it never even showed a dent, although you could still see a mark.

For simple protection at the chainstay BB intersection the shelter tape should work or even some 3M 8663, which is a bit thinner but still thick enough to resist a lot of metal rubbing.

Tony T
02-17-2020, 10:42 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Tape-Surface-Guard-Clear/dp/B000O6BQMG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=Racers+Tape+Surface+Guar d+Tape+%281%22+X+30%27%29+%28Clear%29&qid=1581957711&sr=8-1-fkmr1

fmradio516
02-17-2020, 11:00 AM

I have this on my mountain bike. Really really good stuff and super thick. Not your ordinary tape. Its like a protective shield. I have an extra roll I bought in case I needed to re-apply, but it doesnt look like ill need it. Would sell it for $30 shipped, if you wanted it.