PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a commuter coffee solution

Jaybee
02-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Assuming that the following is true:
1) office coffee is undrinkable dreck, so I’m making my own
2) I need it to stay hot for 30ish minutes of riding
3) my only really good travel mug (that will satisfy condition 2) is too narrow for a typical bottle cage

What is the combination of travel mug/thermos and bottle cage that will keep me happy and caffienated at work?

Maybe a Looney Bin would cinch down tight enough for my existing mug? Maybe there’s a great mug that fits a cage perfectly?

What are other commuters doing?

batman1425
02-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Make it at work. Aeropress or equivalent french press + electric kettle.

Likes2ridefar
02-16-2020, 08:47 PM
My 18oz yeti rambler fits my cage fine. Love the additional tops available for it....I got one of each type and they move nicely from the 64oz growler down to the 18oz rambler.

alwayssnacking
02-16-2020, 08:53 PM
i use a miir tumblr. fits in my looney bin and king cages :)

JAGI410
02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
PDW just came out with this Hot Take holder that looks perfect for the job. Couple this with a nice mug and you're set.

https://ridepdw.com/products/hot-take?variant=31216723623993

kppolich
02-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Check out kuju

https://www.kujucoffee.com/

Jaybee
02-16-2020, 10:02 PM

I tried this once and earned a reputation as a pretentious snob. Maybe I should just lean into it.

PDW just came out with this Hot Take holder that looks perfect for the job. Couple this with a nice mug and you're set.

https://ridepdw.com/products/hot-take?variant=31216723623993

This is super cool, and so is that magenta fade Igleheart bike, but this bike isn’t the best for handlebar mount.

Check out kuju

https://www.kujucoffee.com/

What a cool creative solution. Whatever I do is going to continue to use freshly ground beans from the shop just down the street. I guess that reputation as a snob is justly earned.

Thanks for all the help. The Miir looks promising, as does the yeti 18oz.

pdmtong
02-16-2020, 10:03 PM
My 18oz yeti rambler fits my cage fine. Love the additional tops available for it....I got one of each type and they move nicely from the 64oz growler down to the 18oz rambler.

^ this

Love or hate yeti they are the only double wall stainless where everything can go in the dishwasher.

Not hydroflask
Not swell bottle
Not corksickle
Not any of the Costco variants

Yeti for the commuter win

That said ....

pdmtong
02-16-2020, 10:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200217/9d78dfcb526f6b7116149176f5b977a0.jpg

Mustangski
02-16-2020, 11:04 PM
I use a Yeti for coffee that I need to stay hot for a long time. I'm not a fan of the price, I received mine as a gift.

It will keep coffee hot for hours.

d_douglas
02-16-2020, 11:24 PM

That is your answer - Aeropress every time! Carrying decent coffee to work or making fresh, good coffee when there, in dry clothes, sitting at desk - this is an easy one to decide.

AngryScientist
02-17-2020, 06:38 AM
i am a full-on yeti convert, having tried most of the other popular insulated drinkware. i'm drinking coffee at home now out of a yeti mug.

for the cost of the drinkware, it's really not a big deal. it's pricey, yes, but the stuff will last forever, so it's a pretty small per use price IMO, especially if it's something you use a lot.

the travel mug will fit very securely in a standard king cage, and if your commute is reasonably smooth, leaks are minimum with this set-up.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5J7ar4NN-ls/Xjb7d-3pXxI/AAAAAAAADfQ/Ajultkr6DP4LrR41CLoG7IP9xq9gkYMUQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_2545.jpg

echelon_john
02-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Kleen Kanteen insulated wide mouth with their Cafe Cap is my go-to. Very well insulated-piping hot 3 hrs later-and leakproof.

zlin
02-17-2020, 09:56 AM
+1

Aeropress, electric kettle, hand grinder, 1/2 pound of beans picked up during lunch 1x per week for one cup in am / one cup in pm.

Embrace it!

Cornfed
02-17-2020, 10:44 AM
https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/classic-travel-mug-french-press-16-oz

This plus a Jetboil has changed my camping life.

Ozz
02-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Contigo Autoseal (https://www.gocontigo.com/16-oz-autoseal-aria-stainless-travel-mug.html) commuter mugs....leakproof, relatively inexpensive. I buy the two pack from Costco...usually have them in around Xmas. Carried everywhere year around for about $20

I carry mine inside my Timbuk2 briefcase....have never had a leak. The Autoseal has a spring loaded rubber seal.

Coffee is hot for 2+ hours....warm until noon (made at 6:00 AM)

jimcav
02-17-2020, 12:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200217/9d78dfcb526f6b7116149176f5b977a0.jpg

thx!

dougefresh
02-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Trek used to make one called the Soho mug. I have one. It holds a lot of joe and keeps it warm as well.

https://www.tariksaleh.com/bike/mug/mugbike.jpg

AngryScientist
02-17-2020, 02:40 PM
Contigo Autoseal (https://www.gocontigo.com/16-oz-autoseal-aria-stainless-travel-mug.html) commuter mugs....leakproof, relatively inexpensive. I buy the two pack from Costco...usually have them in around Xmas. Carried everywhere year around for about $20

I carry mine inside my Timbuk2 briefcase....have never had a leak. The Autoseal has a spring loaded rubber seal.

Coffee is hot for 2+ hours....warm until noon (made at 6:00 AM)

the inherent problem i have with these types of mugs i've tried over the years is that coffee fouls up the internal valve mechanism, and they are hard to keep clean. thoughts on this one?

bicycletricycle
02-17-2020, 03:56 PM
20 hydroflask with a flip lid works pretty good in my stainless king cages. I had it eject once on a huge pothole but mostly it works great and and not too rattly.

AngryScientist
02-17-2020, 04:02 PM
even though my current set-up does work, i'm considering buying a blackburn cargo cage and some elastic viole straps for my "coffee bike", which i now routinely use to go grab coffee on weekend mornings. placed on the seat tube, these should securely hold just about any container you want to use, and with the cool elastic viole straps, be super easy.

https://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/11961-16493/cms/16493/files/P7751063201705_3.jpg

https://bikepacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IMG_2963.jpg

Hilltopperny
02-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Sister in law got me an 11 ounce Ello insulated mug that fits in any standard size bottle cage and keeps my coffee hot for well over an hour in below freezing temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zzy
02-17-2020, 05:03 PM
+1 on Contigo autoseal and an aeropress.

the inherent problem i have with these types of mugs i've tried over the years is that coffee fouls up the internal valve mechanism, and they are hard to keep clean. thoughts on this one?

The valve can be fully disassembled and cleaned. Only the spring can corrode over time, but they can be had for <$15 on sale, and last years anyway.

NHAero
02-17-2020, 05:40 PM
I agree. I sent back the Contigo once I saw how many bits the lid has. My go-to has been a Nissan mug, because the top is two separate pieces and no moving parts, in the sense that the upper part screws in and seals the top from which one drinks. But, once the top is off, if you knock it over, it spills.

After reading this thread I'm going to try that Yeti with the Hotshot cap.

AngryScientist
02-17-2020, 05:44 PM
I agree. I sent back the Contigo once I saw how many bits the lid has. My go-to has been a Nissan mug, because the top is two separate pieces and no moving parts, in the sense that the upper part screws in and seals the top from which one drinks. But, once the top is off, if you knock it over, it spills.

After reading this thread I'm going to try that Yeti with the Hotshot cap.

the yeti regular coffee mug cap is engineering brilliance at it's finest. the slider closure part is held on with a strong magnet and pulls off to clean the whole thing. it's so brilliantly simple and easy, it really makes me smile.

BobbyJones
02-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Arundel Looney Bin hands down.

Will hold your choice of insulated bottle tightly (rattle-free) in a non-marking, easy to adjust plastic cage.

I like the Kleen Kanteen Insulated bottles for transport and keep a Kleen Kanteen insulated tumbler at my destination. I found I don't like the tactile sensation of the "sippy lids" on most leak proof travel mugs.

The Looney Bin is also a great choice for rough roads, both paved and dirt as you can really cinch it down.

Ozz
02-18-2020, 07:44 AM
I have not had any problems....I buy the two pack and wash in dishwasher. The mechanism is pretty simple...not much to foul.

I just drink black coffee however....putting milk, sugar etc in as well might be different.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2020, 08:01 AM
Goin to work sober is over-rated..:)

NHAero
02-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Yes, it's the half-and-half that's the issue

I have not had any problems....I buy the two pack and wash in dishwasher. The mechanism is pretty simple...not much to foul.

I just drink black coffee however....putting milk, sugar etc in as well might be different.

Skenry
02-18-2020, 09:46 AM
I use this Stanley daily. On bike and off and I can jam it in my cage.

https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/classic-trigger-action-travel-mug-16-oz

ojingoh
02-18-2020, 10:15 AM
another vote for Yeti 20 oz. i use it for everything, even cold drinks. And PDMT, where did you get that Pliny bike growler???

pdmtong
02-18-2020, 03:08 PM
another vote for Yeti 20 oz. i use it for everything, even cold drinks. And PDMT, where did you get that Pliny bike growler???

It's easy to let myself go crazy on Russian Rover Brewing logo'd stuff but I managed to hold the line at a pair of Elder glasses (to drink Elder in of course) an Elder hat and of course a few Younger tee shirts and a Younger hat.

When they released the logo'd hydroflask I caved - bought it at the brewery. Perfect for drinking water all day long.

pdmtong
02-18-2020, 03:10 PM
the yeti regular coffee mug cap is engineering brilliance at it's finest. the slider closure part is held on with a strong magnet and pulls off to clean the whole thing. it's so brilliantly simple and easy, it really makes me smile.

I think Contigo needs to get a nod since it's inexpensive at Costco

But yes, the Yeti is brilliant and as mentioned, DISHWASHER approved both lid and vessel. That makes it really easy to clean well

tmadrecki
02-18-2020, 03:34 PM
As you alluded to at the start, lean into the pretentiousness. Embrace the power of the dark side - aeropress, pour over at desk, etc. Life is better for it.

Safepants
02-19-2020, 05:53 PM
That is your answer - Aeropress every time! Carrying decent coffee to work or making fresh, good coffee when there, in dry clothes, sitting at desk - this is an easy one to decide.

I tend to gather a crowd using my porlex hand grinder in the lunchroom too!

Jaybee
02-19-2020, 06:15 PM
As you alluded to at the start, lean into the pretentiousness. Embrace the power of the dark side - aeropress, pour over at desk, etc. Life is better for it.

My normal methods are aeropress or pour-over and I am nothing if not a coffee snob, so I dragged the electric kettle, porlex, aeropress and 1/4 lb of Yirgacheffe into work today. I had a fantastic cup at work, and I convinced three co-workers to at least try the dark side of the force. I think they’re converts. Our in-house safety guy gets back from a field job in a month, so he will probably shut the electric kettle thing down, but until then, cheers!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

zlin
02-19-2020, 07:06 PM
My normal methods are aeropress or pour-over and I am nothing if not a coffee snob, so I dragged the electric kettle, porlex, aeropress and 1/4 lb of Yirgacheffe into work today. I had a fantastic cup at work, and I convinced three co-workers to at least try the dark side of the force. I think they’re converts. Our in-house safety guy gets back from a field job in a month, so he will probably shut the electric kettle thing down, but until then, cheers!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

“Like button”

jmoore
02-19-2020, 10:09 PM
I tried this once and earned a reputation as a pretentious snob. Maybe I should just lean into it.

^this

"you can drink shi77y coffee if you want, but I don't"

smokersteve
02-19-2020, 11:00 PM
Iced coffee

Louis
02-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Pretentious snobs.

If one of these + Safari coffee was good enough for so many American office drones, it ought to be good enough for you. ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51lDmz1qyQL._AC_SX466_.jpg

d_douglas
02-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Pretentious snobs.

If one of these + Safari coffee was good enough for so many American office drones, it ought to be good enough for you. ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51lDmz1qyQL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Like most North American kids, I grew up with the smell of putrid coffee that sat on a burner for 8hrs so I detested the smell of coffee when I was young.

My ex-girlfriend’s quebecois mom drank lattes and smoked all day and convinced me to try one of her two vices. I quickly realized good coffee was a wonderful thing and I’ve never looked back, both on my decision to ditch my girlfriend or my decision to adopt coffee as my most beloved vice.

That Bunn coffee maker brings back so many memories of childhood - even seeing the brand makes me laugh for some reason...:)

SlowPokePete
02-20-2020, 04:17 AM
The Kleen Canteen coffee bidon I have has a top that...

*doesn't leak
*comes apart easily

Every Friday when I get home from work I take the top apart for a "better" cleaning...super easy to do...

SPP

72gmc
02-20-2020, 08:42 AM
Hand grinder + pour over while going through the morning’s email on my phone.

I get weird looks from engineers who are filling their cups with industrial swill. I don’t care. I drink less coffee, but it’s much better coffee.

Jaybee
02-20-2020, 08:47 AM
Hand grinder + pour over while going through the morning’s email on my phone.

I get weird looks from engineers who are filling their cups with industrial swill. I don’t care. I drink less coffee, but it’s much better coffee.

Per above, I'm on your team now. A single really good cup is probably better for my kidneys than the 4 hour caffeine drip of swill I'd be doing otherwise.

How are you heating your water?

RobJ
02-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Sidenote - since Contigo was mentioned....

If you have kids and use the Contigo kids bottles, please see that they just recalled 6M+ for choking hazard....

Now back to the thread which is making start looking at items I had no idea I needed :eek:

one60
02-20-2020, 09:14 AM
Found this espresso maker to be well designed, easy to use and clean. Plus it makes a very reasonable espresso. Of course, requires access to hot water.

Ozz
02-20-2020, 10:54 AM
I tried this once and earned a reputation as a pretentious snob. Maybe I should just lean into it. .....

"pretentious snob" vs. "you get what you settle for"

Pick one......

;)

72gmc
02-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Per above, I'm on your team now. A single really good cup is probably better for my kidneys than the 4 hour caffeine drip of swill I'd be doing otherwise.

How are you heating your water?

A little Bodum 0.5L hot water pot. I took notes in European business hotels and my wife set me up with the kit.

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 02:11 PM

Need a good conical burr grinder. Makes the freshest, bestest grounds, plus its use annouces to everyone in the office that you're at it again. :)

I work at home. The dog doesn't give a crap about any of this!

And my wife works at home too. She has a Keurig extruded coffee appliance. Oh, the humanity.

C40_guy
02-20-2020, 02:13 PM

That's just a story and it doesn't mean anything.

What others think about you is irrelevant, if you think well of yourself.

stien
02-20-2020, 02:27 PM
I have a sweet hydro flask "flip lid" coffee thermos that fits in water bottle cages. Cheap and works fine. I also use it to keep my coffee hot on weekends after French press.

charliedid
02-20-2020, 03:52 PM
Found this espresso maker to be well designed, easy to use and clean. Plus it makes a very reasonable espresso. Of course, requires access to hot water.

You've had good luck? I considered buying one many times.

72gmc
02-20-2020, 06:13 PM
If the pretentious snob reputation is already in place, why not use it?

Jaybee
02-20-2020, 07:28 PM
That's just a story and it doesn't mean anything.

What others think about you is irrelevant, if you think well of yourself.

Truth. Im gonna be me, and me likes good coffee.

Thanks for the ebcouragement

one60
02-20-2020, 10:49 PM
You've had good luck? I considered buying one many times.

yes...I was impressed that it worked as well as it did. Comes with a zippered & padded storage bag. The cap doubles as a cup, so all that is required is ground coffee and hot water. There is also an adapter for nespresso capsules though havent used that.

Gifted it to my son (future school teacher) who tells me he uses it daily. Teacher's lounges have terrible coffee.

kiwisimon
02-20-2020, 10:57 PM

lean into it. Only takes 3 minutes to use an aeropress and you'll probably get people asking for a cup. Life is too short to drink ****ty or lukewarm coffee.

d_douglas
02-20-2020, 11:24 PM
lean into it. Only takes 3 minutes to use an aeropress and you'll probably get people asking for a cup. Life is too short to drink ****ty or lukewarm coffee.

Inverted aeropress daily. I once broke the vacuum seal on mine while pressing and got boiling hot coffee sprayed on my man-bits in the kitchen at work. All while someone was marvelling at how easy it looked!

Only time that happened...

Louis
02-21-2020, 01:45 AM
and got boiling hot coffee sprayed on my man-bits in the kitchen at work

You work in a nudist's colony? Cool!!!

https://nyti.ms/2vGWiVs

(NSF prudes, but totally harmless)

d_douglas
02-21-2020, 09:05 AM
You work in a nudist's colony? Cool!!!

https://nyti.ms/2vGWiVs

(NSF prudes, but totally harmless)

Ha ha - not quite but close. No, this was fortunately not too bad due to my clothes, but the big wet brown stain on my crotch wasn’t the best

kiwisimon
02-21-2020, 09:26 AM
Ha ha - not quite but close. No, this was fortunately not too bad due to my clothes, but the big wet brown stain on my crotch wasn’t the best

veterans brew nude.