PDA

View Full Version : Time Shoe/Pedal Stack Height?

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Hello All,

Yesterday I made the switch from:

Rocket 7 shoes with Quattro SL pedals.

to-

Time Ulteam shoes with Time RXS pedals.

Does anyone know what the difference in stack height is b/w these two systems? It FEELS like my feet are closer to the pedals on the Time setup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Justin

orbea65
01-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Why did you give up the R7's?

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Why did you give up the R7's?

It's a sponsorship thing imho.

Justin

pdxmech13
01-09-2007, 10:22 AM
As for stack height
drill into the two shoes
measure sole thickness

Glad I could help :D

paulh
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know where you can get Time shoes in USA??

They don't show up in many American mail order places anymore.

Big Dan
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Colorado Cyclist for Time shoes.

Go out riding with some Allen wrenches, make adjustments until you find the sweet spot.
After you are correctly set up , Time pedals are great. Good luck.

gt6267a
01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
i thought the euro thing to do is paint the rocket 7 and sl's with the time colors and call it good?

plan b, install pedal, engage shoe, put end of long stick in level shoe, mark vertical stick where it crosses the tt or even better angled stick where it crosses the saddle. change shoe / pedal combo, repeat. measure distance on stick. will that not do it?

jeffg
01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Time has very low stack height. Someone had the specs at my LBS when I bought my SPD-SLs so we just adjusted and saw if further adjustment was necessary. It was not.

Since you know folks, I would think someone would have the specs for you, though gt's suggestion should work, too ;)

obtuse
01-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello All,

Yesterday I made the switch from:

Rocket 7 shoes with Quattro SL pedals.

to-

Time Ulteam shoes with Time RXS pedals.

Does anyone know what the difference in stack height is b/w these two systems? It FEELS like my feet are closer to the pedals on the Time setup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Justin

time pedal: 8mm of stack

crank brothers: 15.2mm of stack and awesome bearings that last a really long time.

obtuse

David Kirk
01-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I think there is only one way to do this right. You need to measure the pedal shoe combo. It's easy to do.

Put the shoe in the pedal and put the crankarm in a vertical position. With the shoe held in a natural horizontal position (easiest to do with a block of wood under the heel unless you have 3 hands) slide a tape rule though the top of the shoe to rest on the inside where the ball of your foot would rest. Now measure vertically up to the center of the BB. Subtract this number from your crank length and you have the combined stack of the pedal/shoe combo.

Dave

fstrthnu
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
time pedal: 8mm of stack

crank brothers: 15.2mm of stack and awesome bearings that last a really long time.

obtuse

That will do it!

Obtuse is wickid smaht imho.

Justin

chrisroph
01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I think there is only one way to do this right. You need to measure the pedal shoe combo. It's easy to do.

Put the shoe in the pedal and put the crankarm in a vertical position. With the shoe held in a natural horizontal position (easiest to do with a block of wood under the heel unless you have 3 hands) slide a tape rule though the top of the shoe to rest on the inside where the ball of your foot would rest. Now measure vertically up to the center of the BB. Subtract this number from your crank length and you have the combined stack of the pedal/shoe combo.

Dave
Here is an easier way:

Put on old shoes and pedals and go for a short ride.

Put on new shoes and pedals and go for a ride. If you need to lower the saddle, the new combo has a lower stack height.

Happy to help;)

sspielman
01-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Dave

I have used this method before...acurate to +/- 3mm, ATMO

BdaGhisallo
01-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Justin,

Why don't you simply make like Andreas Kloden and were Time shoe covers whenever you get within twenty yards of a bike. He's done it for the last six years as best I can tell and, funnily enough, they were to cover over the yellow Time shoes he wanted to use, that didn't look at all like the Adidas shoes he should have been sporting!

fstrthnu
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Justin,

Why don't you simply make like Andreas Kloden and were Time shoe covers whenever you get within twenty yards of a bike. He's done it for the last six years as best I can tell and, funnily enough, they were to cover over the yellow Time shoes he wanted to use, that didn't look at all like the Adidas shoes he should have been sporting!

After doing 3 hours with intervals today and yesterday in cold weather... I gotta say I am missing my Rocket 7's. The R7's were like slippers... I never even felt them on my feet. These Time's are a very nice production shoe and I am fortunate to be riding them but the plasic/rubber upper just doesnt mold onto my foot like the R7's.

I will give them some time to break in and all. If pain persists I might have to pull a AK and bust out the shoe covers.

The switch to Time pedals from Crank Brothers reminded me what it is like to ride on a real pedal. Night and Day. I would endorse the Time pedals to anyone.

Justin

AgilisMerlin
01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/products/pedals/recall/index.html

recall info.

amerliN

fstrthnu
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/products/pedals/recall/index.html

recall info.

amerliN

Good call. Thank You AgilisMerlin

AgilisMerlin
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/shows/eicma06/eicma070/IMG_1319.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/shows/eicma06/eicma070/IMG_1322.jpg

how flat are these soles ?

curious

AmerliN

fstrthnu
01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/shows/eicma06/eicma070/IMG_1319.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/shows/eicma06/eicma070/IMG_1322.jpg

how flat are these soles ?

curious

AmerliN

Pancakes imho. I use inserts with them.

Justin

Simon Q
01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I am going against the flow here as I ditched my R7s. While they were comfy for some reason they make them really flat along the arch section and the support there was average even with the insole. Ideally the shoe should provide most of the support with fine tuning from the insole. I now use Sidis with an insole made by a podiatrist that provides insoles to quite a few of the Aust Pro Tour riders. Fit is amazing, Sidis follow foot most shapes very well, they are no pancackaes. Don't get me wrong, R7's are a great shoe but as Justin said do not discount getting stock shoes that are close and working with a podiatrist that knows what they are doing as they should know more than an R7 fitter.

orbea65
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Pancakes imho. I use inserts with them.

Justin

Justin,
How does the width compare to other off the shelf brands?

Hysbrian
01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
The switch to Time pedals from Crank Brothers reminded me what it is like to ride on a real pedal. Night and Day. I would endorse the Time pedals to anyone.
Justin

But the Crank Brothers clear MUD so well! Oh wait this is ROAD season.......