PDA

View Full Version : Lake Worth, FL Road Riding?

GregL
02-16-2020, 09:51 AM
My wife is planning a FL spring break trip in the Palm Beach area. I'm familiar with riding in the northern part of the county (Singer Island, Juno, Jupiter), but don't know the area south of Palm Beach at all. If we stay in the Lake Worth area near Lake Osborne, how safe is the road riding? Is it "A1A all the time" or are there other options? I'm looking for reasonably fast road rides, not beach cruising on multi-use paths.

Thanks,
Greg

ultraman6970
02-16-2020, 01:00 PM
The causeway is like the only place I know you get like a descent ride, and the other detail... that if it looks ok in the map to drive to a place doesnt mean is close, generally driving over there to go anywhere is like 45 to 60 minutes.

Hope the guys can give you a better hint than the one I know, but im biased because i do not like miami at all... the whole area is not built to ride a bike. Too much traffic of "i do not care people, and 300 y/o drivers" and honestly I can deal with traffic but not with stupidity behind a wheel.

The causeway is pretty nice and the only climb in the area eventhought is a bridge.

Bruce K
02-16-2020, 01:10 PM
There are a couple of very fast shop rides out of that area

Bill Bove who used to hang here a lot is connected with some of them.

I’ll look for the info

BK

Bruce K
02-16-2020, 01:12 PM
Try contacting LC Tri Shop - they can probably hook you up

BK

ultraman6970
02-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Forgot this... IM biased too... dont like miami too much.

simonov
02-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Forgot this... IM biased too... dont like miami too much.

Not arguing about the riding down there, but Miami and Lake Worth aren't exactly the same city. In fact, they're like completely different cities.

Bentley
02-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Not arguing about the riding down there, but Miami and Lake Worth aren't exactly the same city. In fact, they're like completely different cities.

Lake Worth is waaaay north of Miami. Not sure they come up in the same conversations.

simonov
02-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Lake Worth is waaaay north of Miami. Not sure they come up in the same conversations.

Yup. I'd go so far as to say that most people in Miami don't even know that Lake Worth is a place.

572cv
02-16-2020, 05:06 PM
I get down that way once a year to see my mother when she is in Delray Beach. So, I'm not particularly knowledgeable. What I have found is that A1A is heavily patrolled by the various PDs in the area to make sure drivers are not speeding and are paying attention, has tons of cyclists, and is reasonably pleasant, all the way from Palm to the Ft Lauderdale /Boca border. It's good enough, which is all I ask in mid winter coming from Vermont.

C40_guy
02-17-2020, 10:07 AM
I used to keep a bike at my in-laws place in Boynton Beach. I would *always* drive to A1A and ride north-south from there. I would not ride on any of the other roads in that area these days.

Between the age of the population, the issue of distracted drivers, and the general "get out of my way", "I don't give a crap" attitude, I'm staying on the sidewalks or walking paths (running) when I visit.

zap
02-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Most times when I'm visiting Delray I will rent a road bike. Up/down A1A (north tip of Palm to southern part of Boca) except when going through Delray.....I take the neighborhood roads so I can avoid the beach parking area. Slower but a bit safer.

I found that motorists are super friendly but do mind the intersections as someone just might run a red light. Plus, be careful of cars pulling out of parking spots on A1A in Delray.

One does meet some interesting people. Most from NY/Boston but I also had the pleasure of riding with some professional triathletes from Europe.

C40_guy
02-17-2020, 10:38 AM
I get down that way once a year to see my mother when she is in Delray Beach. So, I'm not particularly knowledgeable. What I have found is that A1A is heavily patrolled by the various PDs in the area to make sure drivers are not speeding and are paying attention, has tons of cyclists, and is reasonably pleasant, all the way from Palm to the Ft Lauderdale /Boca border. It's good enough, which is all I ask in mid winter coming from Vermont.

Some good cycling groups in that area, always found them welcoming.

Just be aware, with your midwinter fitness level and pale legs, you may get dropped by the riders who have been outside working hard on their bikes all winter.

Note, your midwinter fitness may be far superior than mine. I got my ass kicked more than once!

Oh, and if you're feeling particularly good when you start, it probably means you've got a strong tailwind. When you get to your turnaround, the tailwind becomes an, um, uh... you know...

verticaldoug
02-17-2020, 11:11 AM
I've spent time in the area when my daughters were riding in Wellington. I think going out to Wellington, Loxahatchee the riding is better. There are a lot of gravel roads out there and it is quite relaxing.

simonov
02-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Oh, and if you're feeling particularly good when you start, it probably means you've got a strong tailwind. When you get to your turnaround, the tailwind becomes an, um, uh... you know...

This is fantastic advice. The SoFla winds often trick visitors into thinking they're on great form only to find out just how rough a couple hours back into the wind can be.

I've spent time in the area when my daughters were riding in Wellington. I think going out to Wellington, Loxahatchee the riding is better. There are a lot of gravel roads out there and it is quite relaxing.

The levees up near Loxahatchee are great. As are the levees way down south of Miami. Nice, quiet riding and nearly guaranteed wildlife sightings.

Fixed
02-17-2020, 12:21 PM

The further north you go from Miami the more southern it becomes
Bad drivers everywhere in Florida