PDA

View Full Version : Bike for Mom

jeffg
01-09-2007, 08:04 AM
My mom is in her mid-sixties and now that she is battling cancer again (including in her bones), the Dr. has advised her to get a bike with upright handlebars to take pressure off her back.

A little about my mom: she is a real tough lady who didn't let a little spill of a horse-drawn sleigh at X-mas in the Dolomites slow her down (though it gave us all quite a scare -- it must have been funny to see me trying to catch her as I myself was tossed in the air) and wants to start cycling again once her latest round of chemo is through and perhaps even do a little bike tour.

She lives in Del Mar, CA near the Torrey Pines hill so low gears and good brakes are a must.

I am busy trying to get a job in CA, quit here in Frankfurt and get back to family, so maybe my brain isn't working right but I can't quite come up with the bike for her.

My instinct is that randonneur style bike might work well, with room for fenders, lights, racks, etc. My mom has done bike tours everywhere from Maine to China but is not that interested in what kind of bike she rides.

Any recommendations for a bike (or shop near her)? I will hopefully be there sometime in February to help out so any recommendations are much appreciated.

Sandy
01-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Great respect and admiration for your mom.

Sandy

Fixed
01-09-2007, 08:24 AM
bro I feel for you ..a nice comfort bike from a good shop in s.d. imho
good luck to you and your mom
imho nothing is more important than family
we only have one time to do it right
cheers

OldDog
01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Mom sounds pretty cool.

Check out a C'dale or Trek touring bike for her.

RABikes2
01-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey Jeff,
A nice "comfort" bike w/ good gearing, brakes, price point, etc. is the Trek Navigator. My very best to your Mom in her recovery and to you...a good son.
RA

jeffg
01-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey Jeff,
A nice "comfort" bike w/ good gearing, brakes, price point, etc. is the Trek Navigator. My very best to your Mom in her recovery and to you...a good son.
RA

I am trying. I will likely end up in the Bay Area since I have better contacts there for a job, but one hour flight is much better than 14-15.

My mom needs some good news. She had to cut her visit short since her father died suddenly on Christmas Day. We had talked about doing a cooking/cycling venture in Tuscany, but that is likely a bit much now.

As for Treks, even the steel touring bike has a 9cm HT for a 56cm TT!

It is out of the price range, but what we need is 700c Tournesol-like bike (with a flat handlebar?). My ideal would be a steel frame fenders, toe clips, lights, brooks saddle and leather tape. Mom should be styling on some strada bianca and then cooking and sipping vino atmo

Kevan
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
but honestly while reading your post I was thinking a hybrid with straight bars and up-right positioning. Maybe with some suspension mixed in.

The Pilot, which is more road-styled, has an up-right design.

RABikes2
01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
but honestly while reading your post I was thinking a hybrid with straight bars and up-right positioning. Maybe with some suspension mixed in. The Pilot, which is more road-styled, has an up-right design.
The Pilot is another great idea. I borrowed one from the shop a few months ago, the WSD 5.0, nice ride. :)

dauwhe
01-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Kogswell P/R?

Dave

jeffg
01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Kogswell P/R?

Dave

Interesting, though I am not sure I should get my mom on 650b.

Hmmm ..

dauwhe
01-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I think he's planning a 700c version, and maybe a mixte... might be worth chatting with him...

Dave

Ken Robb
01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I live in La Jolla, right next door to Del Mar, so I'd be glad to help with the project. If she doesn't already know the good shops I can steer her to them.

What size/price would be acceptable?

72gmc
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
jeffg, best of luck to you and your mom. I think you have a good idea about the bike.

In shops around here (Seattle) I see quite a few "ready made" commuter/townie bikes with riser bars and fenders included. Two brands that come to mind are Bianchi and Kona, and they both seem to make fine cruisers for people like your mom at a price of $500 or less.

Bianchi: Castro Valley (looks like it even comes with a light)
Kona: Smoke (comes with fenders) or Dew

jahah
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow, she sounds like my kind of lady. I would recommend and Electra Townie. My wife has one and loves it. The townie is designed to be able to allow the rider to place their feet flat on the ground when stationary. It is available with a nexus internal hub gearing up to eight speeds. Very reliable with no chance of the chain jumping off. It is certainly not a century machine, but a fun bike. It also comes with a small front suspension fork option. Available in many colors and alot of "dress up" accesories. Two dealers come to mind. I frequent Black Mountain Bicycles which carries Electra. Ask for Matt (one of the best mechanics in the region) and tell him Jim Hale sent her. He will take good care of her. 858-566-0712. The other option would be B & L Bicycles in Solana beach about three miles north of Her. They are a more high end shop than Black Mountain being a Serotta, Seven, Look and Bianchi dealer. Either shop will give her good service.

Good luck in your purchase !

Jim

Steve Hampsten
01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Jeff,

Your mom knows from 650B? (insert shrug here)

What do you say Serotta Forumites all - shall we all build Jeff's mom a cool flatbar bike? Who's in? What parts we gonna use?

I don't care what it says on the downtube or who builds it, I'd just like to see a classy and classic rig for a swell mother out in the world.

I'm in.

jeffg
01-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I live in La Jolla, right next door to Del Mar, so I'd be glad to help with the project. If she doesn't already know the good shops I can steer her to them.

What size/price would be acceptable?

She certainly does not know the good shops.

In terms of size she is thin and little over 5'9." A re-fit would be in order for her.

Thanks again!

72gmc
01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
What do you say Serotta Forumites all - shall we all build Jeff's mom a cool flatbar bike? Who's in? What parts we gonna use?

That's a cool idea.

I have an mtb that was top-of-the-line, once upon a time, and I would gladly contribute as much of it as necessary.

It's a 1993 Deore XT setup:
- rapidfire (under the bar) shifters for triple-times-7-speed
- XT rear derailleur
- Deore front derailleur
- XT cantilevers
- XT triple crank (probably too big at 175mm)

The hubs aren't great but the rest is fine and still looks good.

Too Tall
01-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Jeffdewd! Townie? With a cool lightweight basket?
Steve had a good call there, that's the stuff :) Remember Peter W. wife's bike from the Ramble? That color is screamin'. Nexus hub? Dutch lock?

dauwhe
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Jeffdewd! Townie? With a cool lightweight basket?
Steve had a good call there, that's the stuff :) Remember Peter W. wife's bike from the Ramble? That color is screamin'. Nexus hub? Dutch lock?

Link to photo of that bike:

http://www.sover.net/~dauwhe/PeterMbike.JPG

Too Cool!

Dave

Too Tall
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello! Man that's sweet. Thanks Dave. Jeff???? How about that?

Ken Robb
01-09-2007, 01:33 PM
she's about my wife's size so is welcome to try our 58cm CSI and Leslie's Rivendell Romulus 59cm to see how they fit. I'm betting the Riv fit might be a winner. Heck, she might fall in love with our BikeFriday.

jeffg
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Jeff,

Your mom knows from 650B? (insert shrug here)

I don't care what it says on the downtube or who builds it, I'd just like to see a classy and classic rig for a swell mother out in the world.

I'm in.

is something that is precious in this world of ours and in incredible abundance on this forum.

My mom has a hard enough time accepting that she is the one that needs taking care of now after being the one to take care of us (and my dad when he was ill) for so long, but she would be very moved by this generosity, both of material and spirit.

A question I have is whether a flat bar is necessary or whether a "French fit" could get her high enough. She uses traditional road handlebars now so a quill stem should offer enough adjustability if the design is right.

I'll talk to mom about pricing, but most of all have both our sincere thanks for the support and heart

Best,

Jeff

Fixed
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a few things that might be of use I have a stem nitto(quill) that might work if you need it bro ..... bars saddle too
cheers

malcolm
01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
The wife and I have electra townies with 7 speed nexus hubs that we use at the beach and around the neighbor hood. We do 20 or so miles on them comfortably never really gone any farther because we don't have to and have other bikes if we do. I don't think the nexus hub would provide adequate gearing for any significant hills but townies are avail with conventional drivetrains as well. It may be too much of a cruiser for her but they are comfortable for what we use them for.

Ken Robb
01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I can say from experience that riders 60 plus years of age around Del Mar really need triples for their only bike. If I'm feeling especially strong and can choose a route that avoids the worst hills I can get by with a 50-34x12-27 but I may still really strain on those rides too.